Upgrading pickups, replacing parts of the pickup?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was thinking of trying to do some simple upgrades on leftover pickups from guitars where I have replaced them with higher end pickups, for example replacing ceramic magnets with AlNiCo magnets and replacing the mounting plates. I've watched some YT videos, I still have a few questions though

Where do I get these parts? So far the only sources I've found are chinese based companies with little information on size, postage and which seems a tad dodgy, and a couple of US based companies, postage from the US is so high that with added custom fees I might just pay for complete pickups though. I need a source based in the UK

Do I need to replace the poles when changing magnets? Can I replace the poles without rewinding the pickup?

Sorry, the only source I know of off hand is in the US.
https://www.stewmac.com/electronics/pic ... kup-parts/

You don't have to replace the poles if you change magnets, the poles have less effect than the magnets. And in both cases you have to rewind to replace either.

Good luck.

Are you aware of Crimson Guitars?

https://www.crimsonguitars.com/

https://www.allparts.uk.com/
https://www.axesrus.co.uk/

I think if you search for luthier tools, you will eventually stumble on your favorite.
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

You are a brave person. That sounds like a ton of work.

Do you also darn your old socks?
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

It is a pretty easy thing to do (and can be done without desoldering the pickup from pots). I've had magnets from Axesrus and from Alegree in the UK and they do make a difference! Well worth trying (especially if mucking about with pickup height and pot values has not given you tonal nirvana :)

YnJ wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:03 am I was thinking of trying to do some simple upgrades on leftover pickups from guitars where I have replaced them with higher end pickups, for example replacing ceramic magnets with AlNiCo magnets and replacing the mounting plates. I've watched some YT videos, I still have a few questions though
Note that replacing ceramic with AlNiCo is not necessarily an upgrade; depends on the pup and the sound you are looking for.

I do happen to prefer AlNiCo in guitar, but not everyone does, and I strongly prefer ceramic in bass.

stoopicus wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:33 am
YnJ wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:03 am I was thinking of trying to do some simple upgrades on leftover pickups from guitars where I have replaced them with higher end pickups, for example replacing ceramic magnets with AlNiCo magnets and replacing the mounting plates. I've watched some YT videos, I still have a few questions though
Note that replacing ceramic with AlNiCo is not necessarily an upgrade; depends on the pup and the sound you are looking for.

I do happen to prefer AlNiCo in guitar, but not everyone does, and I strongly prefer ceramic in bass.
Hot ceramics for metal have their place.
Upcycle, why not use old pickups not doing anything......

Thanks! Lot's of good advice and links. I have a few HSS guitars, and I don't use the middle pickup much so it seems wasting money on replacing it, a simple upgrade with AlNiCo magnets, which I prefer to ceramic, seems inexpensive and make more sense if it works. I also have an inexpensive Jackson I specifically got to muck around with and mod myself. The pickups are not very good, compared with for example stock Ibanez pickups which in guitars at the same price sound much better even though they are ceramic as well. I originally had the intention to just replace them, I may go even further though and do the whole pickups, it's apparently not nearly as hard as it seems at first look and seems more fun than darning socks. I would need a wiring machine, apart from that I would only risk to ruin pickups I don't use anyway

Another easy mod.
A no load tone pot(s), it's a must for me on all my Gtrs.
https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/pages/h ... d-tone-pot

YnJ wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:20 am The pickups are not very good, compared with for example stock Ibanez pickups which in guitars at the same price sound much better even though they are ceramic as well.
Yeah, that's the key and why ceramic mistakenly has a bad rep on the internet. Very low end pickups are often ceramic because ceramic magnets are less expensive, but the fact that they are terrible pickups has nothing to do with the magnet.

Lots of extremely high quality ceramic pickups out there - by DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan, etc - that are way better than AlNiCo for certain styles. If you want a really strong, mids-forward tone they are hard to beat.

For me it just turns out this is almost always what I want on bass and only sometimes what I want on guitar. I'm happy with AlNiCo on guitar.

The Noodlist wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:35 am Another easy mod.
A no load tone pot(s), it's a must for me on all my Gtrs.
https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/pages/h ... d-tone-pot
Thanks! Pots is another thing I should look more at. I did get a pot I replaced my tone control for the bridge pickup on my guitar years ago, it was sold as a sustainer, it didn't really add more sustain though. It's active with a 9v battery and sounds more like a mix of a booster and a filter, and can create some interesting sounds so it wasn't a complete waste

stoopicus wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:38 pm
YnJ wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:20 am The pickups are not very good, compared with for example stock Ibanez pickups which in guitars at the same price sound much better even though they are ceramic as well.
Yeah, that's the key and why ceramic mistakenly has a bad rep on the internet. Very low end pickups are often ceramic because ceramic magnets are less expensive, but the fact that they are terrible pickups has nothing to do with the magnet
You're right of course, it's more down to taste. I have a Seymour Duncan ceramic humbucker which replaced the stock pickup in the bridge position on my American Fender HM Strat. It's good quality of course, I was never quite happy with sound though and preferred the sound of my Japanese Fender HM Strat, which came with a DiMarzio AlNiCo humbucker in the bridge position, for metal and leads. I've added a lot more guitars since these two were my workhorses, so they have pretty much been left as they were

YnJ wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:02 pm
stoopicus wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:38 pm
Yeah, that's the key and why ceramic mistakenly has a bad rep on the internet. Very low end pickups are often ceramic because ceramic magnets are less expensive, but the fact that they are terrible pickups has nothing to do with the magnet
You're right of course, it's more down to taste. I have a Seymour Duncan ceramic humbucker which replaced the stock pickup in the bridge position on my American Fender HM Strat. It's good quality of course, I was never quite happy with sound though and preferred the sound of my Japanese Fender HM Strat, which came with a DiMarzio AlNiCo humbucker in the bridge position, for metal and leads. I've added a lot more guitars since these two were my workhorses, so they have pretty much been left as they were
Yeah I'm the same way with guitar, I love the sound of the AlNiCo humbuckers for heavier tones. My Revstar is basically perfect for me. It really depends on what you are after; a friend of mine loves ceramic single coils for screaming leads. That's just not me.

On bass, I really want ceramic P pickups for the added punch and mids heavy sound. Just an awesome tone for punching through the mix.

Return to “Guitars”