Zipper sound

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was very interested in the sound I heard in Ado 踊 (Odo) at 2:52.
https://youtu.be/YnSW8ian29w?t=171
I also heard this in many future bass tracks before/in/after drops. I just recently started studying synthesis. Could you please tell me how to create a similar sound using this reference as an example? I assume that this is a slide of some type of synth like bass. If I'm correct, could you provide more detail on how to create exactly such a sound? Specifically, how to achieve the sharp sound resembling a zipper being unzipped, and what factors will affect or regulate its sharpness, if such details can be explained.

It's hard for me to tell exactly what's going on with that sound when it is in the mix. I believe you are referring to that short rising zip right before that hit. There are many ways to create such a zip sound. My inclination would be to use a short sample with a sharp transient and play it as a very short loop so that it repeats very fast and makes a buzzing sound. Then use a rising envelope or LFO to modulate the speed of that loop, such that when you play a note, the sample starts playing very rapidly over and over with its speed increasing up a ramp over a short interval.

I don't know what software you have, but in Serum, in the noise oscillator, there are a selection of kick attack samples. To accomplish what I am talking about, you can use an envelope with a rising curve (slow attack, zero decay, zero sustain) and use it to modulate the pitch on the noise oscillator. Also make sure the one-shot option is turned off, since you want the sound to play repeatedly very fast. Also turn off the two main oscillators. It will take some experimentation to find the right sample, the right pitch range, the right speed and shape on the envelope, and so on. You might also experiment with using a filter sweep in addition. Make sure the filter is set to work on the noise oscillator as that is turned off by default in Serum. Then maybe try using the same envelope you are sweeping the noise pitch with to sweep a band pass filter over some part of the range. It might help to modulate the volume of the noise osc with an envelope also to make it fade in quickly from silence.

With this technique, the sharpness will depend to some degree on the frequency content and sharpness of the sample you use. Some of those kick attack samples are sharper than others. You can then also reduce or enhance the sharpness of an overly sharp one with a filter. If you are sweeping a filter like I suggested earlier, the sharpness will also change through the sweep. And you might try different resonance settings on the filter. If you add some distortion after the filter, it will add some sharpness to an overly soft sound or it can also clip off the peaks on an overly sharp zip.

Another good technique, instead of using a sample, is simply to use a normal oscillator with a simple saw. If you play a saw wave at a low pitch, it is basically like a series of sharp pops. Use an envelope to modulate its pitch, sweeping it up over a short interval, to produce a zip sound. You can then shape it further with a filter sweep, experimenting with filter types, different ranges, resonance, and so on. You probably want to remove some of the low frequencies from a low-pitched saw, as a zip sound probably shouldn't have too much bass. I'd tend toward using a band-pass sweep, starting at a cutoff that removes the bass, and sweeping up, increasing brightness over the sweep, to enhance the rising feel. You can also further sculpt the sound with distortion, convolution, and other effects.

I hope this helps!

In Serum, you can also remove some bass from the saw by using the "Bend -" warp feature. Or you can directly edit the waveform and remove some of the lower partials. Experiment with different wave shapes. A square wave with a short pulse width can work too, if you want that square-wave character.

JO512 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:30 am In Serum, you can also remove some bass from the saw by using the "Bend -" warp feature. Or you can directly edit the waveform and remove some of the lower partials. Experiment with different wave shapes. A square wave with a short pulse width can work too, if you want that square-wave character.
Yes, your answer helped me a lot, thank you very much!

[/quote]
Yes, your answer helped me a lot, thank you very much!
[/quote]

Glad it helped! :D

Return to “Sound Design”