Is it OK to clip single tracks channels and only make sure I don't clip the master fader at mixdown?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When mixing (cubase 13) I usually don't pay attention if the single channels or groups go over 0dbfs and at the end of the mix I put a trim on the master fader and make sure it doesn't go red (over 0dbfs). I also make sure I don't clip the plugins input as well. I like this workflow. Is it safe?
Thanks

Yes.

Never really cared about clipping single channels on protools back in the days.

Now I'm using UAD LUNA and the thing seems much different to my ears: if a channel is clipping it's ok when playback inside LUNA but when you mixdown the track crackling is everywhere.

Anyone noticed that.or it's just me? Many tks
A casa mia si diceva: "sbagli una volta perdi due denti." - Tony Soprano

Never been okay with clipping any channel in any DAW, and specifically warn students not to do that in Protools.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I've never used Cubase but in Reaper yes I can clip the output volume of the tracks as long as the master track isn't above 0.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

Try it and know for sure.

mementus wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:13 pmIs it safe?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

If your DAW has an internally higher bit depth (32 or 64 seems to be common) then clipping on track output shouldn't matter much. If you reduce the level later again, it should come down to the exact same end result. After all, it's just 0s and 1s at that point and no quality loss involved.

Although you need to be careful within your track plugin chain. Many plugins / effects may react non-linear on the input gain (most notably distortion and the like).

But maybe some who are used to the ideas of gain staging (as you had to do it in the past) would disagree. My feeling is that it's more a matter of workflow and past (now gone) limitations.
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

I want to test this on LUNA.
If a channel is clipping on Luna the master meter is clipping too. If you act ok the master fader you just have an output reduction but the meter still clipping like mf.
Maybe the metering is pre fader. imma check it.

Anyway, I started with a Mackie Mozart, years ago, and I still use the same approach on the digital realm.
I load my tracks, all the faders to minus infinite, then I start building up track after track. I know I'm old but I like to simulate how the job actually should be done 👍

I would have said no except I read this great article about getting the sound you want without caring about clipping on mix busses. You just have to make sure the Master doesn't clip. Limiters are okay but I think they smash the sound down too much so I pull Clipmax or a compressor out for taming. Just be sure you solo it and not distorting what you're trying to achieve.

Mixing is a summing game so if one channel clips, maybe it's too hot, and maybe all other channels are too loud too.
I believe it's logical to appropriately control each channel's level going into the master bus, so I'd put a compressor or limiter where needed and not push each individual channel so hard as to overload the master bus which could reduce headroom for dynamics and for mastering I suppose.

MetalSir wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:18 pm

Anyway, I started with a Mackie Mozart, years ago, and I still use the same approach on the digital realm.
You mean amek mozart
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:55 am
MetalSir wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:18 pm

You mean amek mozart
Yes, the big boy. All neve preamp. A beast.
LOL why Mackie though? LMAO

Fannon wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:56 pm If your DAW has an internally higher bit depth (32 or 64 seems to be common) then clipping on track output shouldn't matter much. If you reduce the level later again, it should come down to the exact same end result. After all, it's just 0s and 1s at that point and no quality loss involved.
This. 32-bit internally can capture up to 1,528 dB. The loudest sound believed to ever have been measured on Earth was the Krakatoa eruption at 310 dB. Even if you literally stood next to an erupting volcano, the sound wouldn't be loud enough to clip a 32-bit mixing engine. That's just 32-bit, many DAWs use 64-bit mixing internally now.

There is no way short of some overflow error in a plugin to achieve that kind of loudness on a single channel.

That said, many plugins that emulate analog equipment, like compressors, saturators etc. expect the signal to be 0dB or less (usually less). Also it's much easier to keep the master level reasonable if you keep all your channels and submixes well below 0dB. Remember 24-bit tops out at 145 dB and 16-bit at just 96 dB.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”