Bouncing/mixdown in studio one (coming from Logic)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone,

I am trying to get my head round bouncing and mixdown as a Logic user. I find the methods in Logic quite simple, th at said it may just be that I’m used to it.

In Logic, there is essentially one option for bouncing which is either bounce in place (over writes bounced regions/events) or to new track. Or you can bounce to export to wav/preferred format). You can bounce the selection and it automatically prints inserts - or you can turn off inserts.

1. In studio one, if I’ve used Melodyne, and now want to bounce/print the edited/melodyned events to a new track, am I correct in thinking that I should bounce to a new track (I don’t want to overwrite original files). But I want the new bounced regions on one track (not several aa the bounced regions anre from different tracks) and I also do not want to include the inserts ie. Just the dry melodyned regions.

2. If I want to bounce to a new track AND include the inserts, is it: mixdown selection to a new track?

3. If I want to export a single track (to produce a wav file outside of the Daw) should I use ‘mixdown selection’? I only want this new single track from the whole song to be exported including the inserts on the track. I do not want other tracks that might be above or below on the timeline.

Thanks

Maybe this helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZA1cmNv-_4

One additional hint: Melodyne (ARA) is applied as an event fx

yeah so as someone who switched from s1 to logic i think this is something s1 for sure has on logic. the only issue is there are so many options. I think they could have a consolidated menu for mixdown and transform options with a tooltip describing what they do would make it a lot easier for new users.

so the transform from instrument to audio and back and forth is a 10/10 feature in s1 but what i think is a 13/10 feature is the transform to rendered audio and realtime audio back and forth. when you want to go back and edit the bounce for melodyne or something before all the fx this is so huge.

its a lot to learn but even as an ex s1 user i promise its some good stuff.
• Logic Pro 10.8.1
• MacBook Pro 2023 - M2 MAX - 96 GB RAM
• Focusrite Red 8Line + UAD Satellite

qtheerearranger wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:48 pm
so the transform from instrument to audio and back and forth is a 10/10 feature in s1 but what i think is a 13/10 feature is the transform to rendered audio and realtime audio back and forth. when you want to go back and edit the bounce for melodyne or something before all the fx this is so huge.

I agree transform is great. Only weakness I find Studio one bounces compared to Logic -which you can see and hear in Greg's video also - is bouncing events or mix down does not take into account the delay, reverb tails or instrument decays, releases that continue after the event ends. So there is no auto or user defined tail to include the signal completely like the transform does. So rendered files end abruptly. Only way is extend the event before bouncing but that is not always practical and possible.

andypryce wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:26 am
qtheerearranger wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:48 pm

I agree transform is great. Only weakness I find Studio one bounces compared to Logic -which you can see and hear in Greg's video also - is bouncing events or mix down does not take into account the delay, reverb tails or instrument decays, releases that continue after the event ends. So there is no auto or user defined tail to include the signal completely like the transform does. So rendered files end abruptly. Only way is extend the event before bouncing but that is not always practical and possible.
Yeah. The only way I've found to do this is to extend the region length and bounce. Or use Transform instead which does have autotail and user definable tail.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro // Ableton // Reason // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”