Do Linux users tend to be somewhat paranoid?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I should add that there are people with amazing creative potential, who are dirt-poor, who could make good use of what is on the native-linux stack of 'freebies'. Things created for "the love of the game" in many instances. Things shared publicly as a type of resume', building credibility for possible employers in many instances. Tools made personally for a given task, and shared because generosity is healthy and good. Sometimes with sourcecode left to be re-purposed.

After working full days in software I want to have the less hassles possible at home to make music. After all, there are so many other things in life. Isn't it ?

So I have set as a rule to have the less problems there can be. I want to start a computer, start a DAW, connect the hardware (keyboards, Launchpad, tube preamp and compressor for the guitars), and be ready for inspiration to materialize.

Linux (Xubuntu) fulfills that, with Bitwig Linux and yabridge.

I reckon that there is an initial step, done once, to configure audio for music creation purposes. Again, this is done once.

Inspiration is not fueled at all by a consumer access to all advertised products.

And there's no way democracy is the freedom of having a myriad of consumable items. Likewise, freedom, that feeling of freedom which creates the conditions for inviting inspiration and creativity, is not defined by being able to buy everything one wants on the market.

MuLab of course :D

Yep! That was a scary one! I follow those things pretty carefully, and was aware of it the day after it happened. Thankfully (and luckily) it was caught be observant coders, and quickly mitigated. That discovery was only capable of being done because the code is open and available for anyone to see.

Imagine if that bad actor was a mole, coding for a closed source OS like Windows or MacOS. The chances of the back door being discovered would be greatly reduced.

Who knows what may have been coded secretly into Windows and MacOS that we may not yet know about! Monthly Patch Tuesdays exist for a reason. :)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

audiojunkie wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:36 pm
Yep! That was a scary one! I follow those things pretty carefully, and was aware of it the day after it happened. Thankfully (and luckily) it was caught be observant coders, and quickly mitigated. That discovery was only capable of being done because the code is open and available for anyone to see.

Imagine if that bad actor was a mole, coding for a closed source OS like Windows or MacOS. The chances of the back door being discovered would be greatly reduced.

Who knows what may have been coded secretly into Windows and MacOS that we may not yet know about! Monthly Patch Tuesdays exist for a reason. :)
And so the question now becomes, "Are Linux users/coders paranoid enough?"

audiojunkie wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:36 pm Imagine if that bad actor was a mole
I think so...

BBFG# wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:10 pm
audiojunkie wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:36 pm

And so the question now becomes, "Are Linux users/coders paranoid enough?"
They better be!

You are not paranoid if the risk is real!
That is why paranoids never think they are paranoid…
We need some of them for sure, they are more attentive to find the hidden risks…

Alert: there is a wrong-way driver. - One??? Hundreds of them!!!

Return to “Instruments”