I bought too many soft synths

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Jac459 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:33 pmGo out, listen to some recent music, open your mind.
So you can't actually point us to anything, can you? Typical.
machinesworking wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:33 pmAlan Wilder did most of their synth sounds before he left in the 90's I really haven't paid much attention to them past Violator, and I would completely disagree with you about DM with Alan Wilder in the band. Their synth sounds were always texturally fantastic.
A lot of them weren't really synth sounds at all. Like Front 242, they were big fans of the EMUlator
so a lot of it was samples and I never liked their sound during that period, from Some Great Reward onwards. There are obviously a few moments but, overall, not much to celebrate. F242 managed to make better use of them but I actually prefer their later sound, when they revamped everything in the late 90s.
VOODOO U wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:55 pmLook, bottom line, synths have knobs, faders and routing possibilities and i do find messing with it is the purpose of synthesis
So it's not for making music? Good to know.
Otherwise buy a synth with nothing but a volume knob and buttons to change presets.
You mean like Analog Lab? It seems quite popular.
Right. Because Metallica got big playing anything other than metal with distorted guitars.
And universally recognised terrible production. So you have to think it was the songs and the performances that made them famous. Heavy Metal just provided an audience. Their stuff even sounds good on banjo -

https://youtu.be/liBhu8DBzEQ?t=200
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | Zoom U24 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:56 am
machinesworking wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:33 pmAlan Wilder did most of their synth sounds before he left in the 90's I really haven't paid much attention to them past Violator, and I would completely disagree with you about DM with Alan Wilder in the band. Their synth sounds were always texturally fantastic.
A lot of them weren't really synth sounds at all. Like Front 242, they were big fans of the EMUlator
so a lot of it was samples and I never liked their sound during that period, from Some Great Reward onwards. There are obviously a few moments but, overall, not much to celebrate. F242 managed to make better use of them but I actually prefer their later sound, when they revamped everything in the late 90s.
I don't I liked their sound around Music For the Masses to around Songs of Faith and Devotion, they had moments on Black Celebration but IMO it suffered a bit from 80's mix syndromes. I would include Emulator programing and sampling in with synths in terms of sound design. IMO Music for the Masses is the best in terms of sounds, songs and mix.

revvy wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:23 pm I had previously bought too many soft synths, but having bought a new synth and sampler in the last few days which I absolutely adore, I no longer feel that way. so the key to dealing with too many synths is to buy more.

long story short: bai moar, meik moar muzik!
This is a great point, I searched forever for drum synth/samplers I can get something useful out of. So I bought pretty much every drum machine style VI out there until I found what I like. Some "too many" feelings about the whole thing come from that, where the things you have are not doing it for you.

Jac459 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:01 am What really annoys me with Bone is that he is entering discussions without the willingness to discuss.
You're both right. End of discussion.

BONES wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:56 am Their stuff even sounds good on banjo -
https://youtu.be/liBhu8DBzEQ?t=200
Yeah, no, it sounds like shit, you like most people just know what the original sounds like, and get a kick out of it. Banjos aren't designed for staccato single note runs, they pretty much are always plucking multiple strings, Metallica on banjo is just silly sounding, and if you never heard Metallica you would ask yourself why these guys are playing banjos like heavily distorted guitars.

BONES wrote: So it's not for making music? Good to know.
Who told you that?
You mean like Analog Lab? It seems quite popular.
Rock bands lip syncing and performing live utilizing pre recorded material is also popular.
And universally recognised terrible production.
Who told you that?
So you have to think it was the songs and the performances that made them famous.
Yep. Songs and performances done with tools that allowed them to do metal music. And it was not banjos.
Heavy Metal just provided an audience.
What's wrong with something providing an audience?
machinesworking wrote:Yeah, no, it sounds like shit,
Yeah if i never heard a Metallica song and heard this it would.do nothing for me.

Uncle E wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:40 am
Jac459 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:01 am What really annoys me with Bone is that he is entering discussions without the willingness to discuss.
You're both right. End of discussion.
Lol

VOODOO U wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:56 am
BONES wrote: And universally recognised terrible production.
Who told you that?
They have had a few stinkers, but Ride the Lightening and Master of Puppets, the album the banjo songs are from, aren't on that list. St. Anger, and And Justice For All are both pretty crap productions. Besides the fact the records aren't as good as Ride and Master.

BONES wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:56 am
Jac459 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:33 pmGo out, listen to some recent music, open your mind.
So you can't actually point us to anything, can you? Typical.
Not sure if it is a "us" but anyway.
The problem is that I know how it will end, either you will say it is a sample, either you will say it is shit so....

Choosing sound for which I know how they were done:
Host8 - Basement Party Room : pad transforming into bass (0m20 to 1min)
Host8 - Stranger in my room (0m34), voice.
Host8 - broken getaway - 0 35 bass
Or the bass in
SebastiAn - Doberman.
The way it transforms at 0m19

machinesworking wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:07 am
Who told you that?
St. Anger, and And Justice For All are both pretty crap productions. Besides the fact the records aren't as good as Ride and Master.
That's opinion as opposed to universally recognised terrible production.

It's amazing how the people who constantly call everyone else stupid are the biggest idiots themselves, I've encountered it many many times before.

There is a strong saying in Hebrew which somehow gets a bit lost in translation but still describes it correctly:

"The ones who constantly belittle people do so with their own imperfections."

nirm123 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:59 am It's amazing how the people who constantly call everyone else stupid are the biggest idiots themselves, I've encountered it many many times before.

There is a strong saying in Hebrew which somehow gets a bit lost in translation but still describes it correctly:

"The ones who constantly belittle people do so with their own imperfections."
:tu: :clap: :hug:
No auto tune...

I'm not sure why Admins here don't ban people who are constantly rude ? I kind of dip into KVR myself a lot just to read, and I don't go on a lot of forums these days, but don't persistent offenders usually get warned/banned ? If they don't I guess they feel they're absolutely validated ?

hotmitts wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:53 am I'm not sure why Admins here don't ban people who are constantly rude ?
It's a conundrum isn't it?

Hmmm, why could that be?

Hmmmm.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

VOODOO U wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:25 am
machinesworking wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:07 am
Who told you that?
St. Anger, and And Justice For All are both pretty crap productions. Besides the fact the records aren't as good as Ride and Master.
That's opinion as opposed to universally recognised terrible production.
Not in this case. St Anger universally is cited as an overtly squashed production, the prime example of "loudness wars" damage. And Justice For All has almost zero bass, the band in some petty tribute to Cliff Burton who had died before the recording was made buried Jason Newsteads playing.

It is my "opinion" that the records aren't as good songwriting wise as Master and Ride, but the production on both records is universally panned. It's likely this bad press that has Bones thinking all their early records were badly produced. :shrug:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”