Softube Model 80...wish they would add a Prophet 10 mode

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Post

I appreciate that they kept Model 80 pretty strictly authentic, but they could really take it to another level (and keep it authentic) by adding a Prophet 10 mode, with the added polyphony and splits/layers. I'd pay a hefty upgrade fee for this!

I've created a Track Stack in Logic as a workaround. Sounds so beautiful stacking 2 Model 80s.

Post

That's just kind of Softube's MO, unfortunately. They add very few things of use that didn't exist in the original gear. Even where other manufacturers do.

That said, Model 80 is on sale for $59 this week.

Post

Softube have an annoying policy with the authenticity of their emulations. They'll be strict with polyphony but add velocity controls, or they'll add voice spread to one synth but not another, or they'll add a last note priority option on one synth but not another. Once you've made changes the whole authenticity thing goes out the window. At least make the changes consistent, eg. give voice spread to all the polyphonic synths, add last note prio option to all synths that were low note prio, etc. Arturia does that pretty well.

That's where u-he got it right with Repro. Authentic behaviour if you want it, with a comprehensive set of optional extras on a different tab so it doesn't distract from the simplicity of the original.

Post

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:46 am That said, Model 80 is on sale for $59 this week.
Even cheaper in a bundle:

https://www.softube.com/products/essentials-collection

Post

Mr Arkadin wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:29 am
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:46 am That said, Model 80 is on sale for $59 this week.
Even cheaper in a bundle:

https://www.softube.com/products/essentials-collection
That's Model 84: the Juno. Model 80, which is on-sale for $59 this weekend, is the Prophet-5 and is not included in Essentials.

It's an easy mistake to make because Softube expects us to remember to associate release years with synthesizers they've modeled instead of giving their products real names.

Post

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:49 am
Mr Arkadin wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:29 am
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:46 am That said, Model 80 is on sale for $59 this week.
Even cheaper in a bundle:

https://www.softube.com/products/essentials-collection
That's Model 84: the Juno. Model 80, which is on-sale for $59 this weekend, is the Prophet-5 and is not included in Essentials.

It's an easy mistake to make because Softube expects us to remember to associate release years with synthesizers they've modeled instead of giving their products real names.
Those names are not good, plus there's another thread going on Model 84 and I got confused! :ud:

What will happen if they model a synth made in the same year as another synth?

Post

Mr Arkadin wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:05 am Those names are not good, plus there's another thread going on Model 84 and I got confused! :ud:

What will happen if they model a synth made in the same year as another synth?
Exactly! I remember complaining about the naming early on when it became clear that Model 72 wasn't just a one-off. The naming convention is awful.

Post

Mr Arkadin wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:05 am What will happen if they model a synth made in the same year as another synth?
"Model 84 B" :lol:

Maybe they'll only do one instrument from a given year, anyway...

Post

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: It's an easy mistake to make because Softube expects us to remember to associate release years with synthesizers they've modeled instead of giving their products real names.
What makes it even harder and even more dumb is the Prophet 5 was designed in 1977 and came into production and brought to market in 1978

Yet they call the Prophet 5 the Model 80 and not the 78 :dog:

Post

IvyBirds wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:15 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: It's an easy mistake to make because Softube expects us to remember to associate release years with synthesizers they've modeled instead of giving their products real names.
What makes it even harder and even more dumb is the Prophet 5 was designed in 1977 and came into production and brought to market in 1978

Yet they call the Prophet 5 the Model 80 and not the 78 :dog:
It’s cause it’s a model of the rev3 which was released in 1980.

If they start releasing synths from the same year, they will need to add the month :D

Post

abernathy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:02 am I appreciate that they kept Model 80 pretty strictly authentic, but they could really take it to another level (and keep it authentic) by adding a Prophet 10 mode, with the added polyphony and splits/layers. I'd pay a hefty upgrade fee for this!

I've created a Track Stack in Logic as a workaround. Sounds so beautiful stacking 2 Model 80s.
I already send a request a year ago, but as you can see still nothing.

Post

Probably not going to happen. It's a shame though cause their modelling is so damn good.

Post

beely wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:21 am
Mr Arkadin wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:05 am What will happen if they model a synth made in the same year as another synth?
"Model 84 B" :lol:

Maybe they'll only do one instrument from a given year, anyway...
Maybe start going 84.6 say for June, 84.3 for March :lol:

Post

Anyway I suspect now they've done model 80 with success, the next project is Model 81 :wink: no inside info just a hunch

Post

Model 85 (JX8P) or Model 86 (JX10) would be nice... :)

Or a Model 81 (Jupiter 8, can't have too many good ones... ;) )

Return to “Instruments”