Phaseplant

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

swilow11 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:10 am I would just add that to really experience the full power of Phase Plant, you should get Snapheap and Multipass also.
Fully agreed. While the synth remain powerful without, they add a whole new dimension.
And you can also use them as creative effects separately.
I have all Fabfilter and all output effects and still use them regularly.

Gam456 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:22 am
ChanceB wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:11 pm
kenny saunders wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:00 pm
ChanceB wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:26 pm It doesn’t come with the premium effects. Faturator,convolver,disperser,slice eq,carve eq,shaper table,snapheap and multipass are all extra individual purchases or included in ultimate. You do get all the other 31 effects plugins, so it’s still more effects than you get from most synths for 200 dollars.It goes on sale often enough that I would wait and get it half off
So you defo get all of the sound generation synth stuff? These companies always do a shit job of actually telling you what you get. Like Cinesamples Musio for instance.
You should probably try it out before you buy it it has a 2 week trial available

Agreed, It was a bad decision to buy without trying it first
I've been really disapointing by this synth. It sound meeh, way too digital in the bad way.
Making a sound design is like a gymnastics. It's not intuitiv at all.
while i absolutely think it’s always a good idea to demo, my experience with phase plant is apparently nothing like this. it’s become my go to for so many use cases, more than i’d ever expect for one soft synth. clearly everyone is different insofar as how their minds process things but for me, there’s no other synth out there that is more intuitive to create sounds with. everything about its workflow just makes sense. as far as its sound goes, and i mean no disrespect to anyone here, but it sounds as good or as bad as the quality of the patch you design. with the level of control you have access to, im not buying that it sounds helplessly “digital” as this isn’t a virtual analog synth with limited parameters that you can adjust, leaving you in a position where you or have to sort of accept things as the character of the instrument. you have the ability to change anything you can imagine basically, so if you don’t like the sound, simply do something about it. a good starting point for someone finding it sounding digital would probably be to use the nonlinear filter over the clean one.

also i’ll echo the sentiment of getting the ultimate package. if you demo the synth and find it’s for you, the tools you’ll get with the ultimate package are well worth the cost.

yhvh wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:43 am
ChanceB wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:26 pm It doesn’t come with the premium effects. Faturator,convolver,disperser,slice eq,carve eq,shaper table,snapheap and multipass are all extra individual purchases or included in ultimate. You do get all the other 31 effects plugins, so it’s still more effects than you get from most synths for 200 dollars.It goes on sale often enough that I would wait and get it half off
So you defo get all of the sound generation synth stuff? These companies always do a shit job of actually telling you what you get. Like Cinesamples Musio for instance.
You should probably try it out before you buy it it has a 2 week trial available

I've been really disapointing by this synth. It sound meeh, way too digital in the bad way.
while i absolutely think it’s always a good idea to demo, my experience with phase plant is apparently nothing like this. it’s become my go to for so many use cases, more than i’d ever expect for one soft synth. clearly everyone is different insofar as how their minds process things but for me, there’s no other synth out there that is more intuitive to create sounds with. everything about its workflow just makes sense. as far as its sound goes, and i mean no disrespect to anyone here, but it sounds as good or as bad as the quality of the patch you design. with the level of control you have access to, im not buying that it sounds helplessly “digital” as this isn’t a virtual analog synth with limited parameters that you can adjust, leaving you in a position where you or have to sort of accept things as the character of the instrument. you have the ability to change anything you can imagine basically, so if you don’t like the sound, simply do something about it. a good starting point for someone finding it sounding digital would probably be to use the nonlinear filter over the clean one.

also i’ll echo the sentiment of getting the ultimate package. if you demo the synth and find it’s for you, the tools you’ll get with the ultimate package are well worth the cost.
Well it seems our experience are similar. While doing advanced sound design (not talking about an FM bell, a reese or an acid bass), I found myself struggling with most of the synths. Phase Plant was the cure for me. Just exactly the way I think. Even Avenger 2, my favourite synth, has to give in in terms of pure workflow.

There are some third-party sites which sometimes do sales, where you can get PhasePlant for 100 Euros. Just like with any other synths.

Igro wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:44 am There are some third-party sites which sometimes do sales, where you can get PhasePlant for 100 Euros. Just like with any other synths.
Also in their own website...

Got the ultimate bundle for about 230 euros 2 years ago... A steal compare to the value it brought me...

im not buying that it sounds helplessly “digital” as this isn’t a virtual analog synth
When I say. It sound way too digital in the bad way

I'm not talking about VA
Many digital synth can sound fat and warmth

Last edited by Igro on Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gam456 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:46 pm

im not buying that it sounds helplessly “digital” as this isn’t a virtual analog synth

I'm not talking about VA
It is a wavetable synth. Most of them are digital sounding. I mean, imagine if MiniMoog would have a 9 unison, that would sound awful.

Igro wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:46 pm

I'm not talking about VA
It is a wavetable synth. Most of them are digital sounding. I mean, imagine if MiniMoog would have a 9 unison, that would sound awful.
Did I say wavetable ?
DX7 or a Montage FMX, D50, Fairlight, Emulator, Synclavier, C15

i dont' get about the unisson. There is many vintage synth out there with unisson

I think it sounds fine and its the only synth that I can always get something cool and usable when I start from nothing. Its philosophy is different and using multi-pass/snap-pass and layering effects is extremely powerful. Modulation is easy but you still need to implement some things differently and also use FM sources from modules that don't get routed to an output. It needs presets for envelopes, group presets, a more detailed manual, multi out lanes, more midi tool modulations but they nailed the workflow and sound design format better than any synth I have used.

jrwaltb wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:50 pm I think it sounds fine and its the only synth that I can always get something cool and usable when I start from nothing. Its philosophy is different and using multi-pass/snap-pass and layering effects is extremely powerful. Modulation is easy but you still need to implement some things differently and also use FM sources from modules that don't get routed to an output. It needs presets for envelopes, group presets, a more detailed manual, multi out lanes, more midi tool modulations but they nailed the workflow and sound design format better than any synth I have used.
Yep yep. You didn't mention the lack of real arpegiator but case could be made that arpegiators are better placed in the DAW, not in synths.

But yes, the synth is sounding perfectly fine and can make awesome sounds with a very straight forward and intelligent workflow.

Wonder if they are preparing a v3....

Gam456 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:46 pm When I say. It sound way too digital in the bad way

I'm not talking about VA
Some people can achieve that in Phase Plant.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

I'm not talking about VA
i didn’t mean to imply that you were saying that about VA, i just used that as an example of a style of synth where the parameters you have control over are relatively limited so you’re pretty much stuck with a particular character for better or worse. the point i was making was in phase plant, you have so much control over everything that this sort of thing shouldn’t be an issue

if you want fat and warm, you can make fat and warm in phase plant.

I think the lack of any kind of arp/sequencer (without the hacks) hurts Phase Plant as a synth.

It's a strange omission after this long.

Return to “Instruments”