Reason 13 Announced- Sequencer updated!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The separate sequencer editing window with the tools right there instead of having to bring up the tool window is something I've wanted for a long time as it will make my workflow a lot quicker. I'm interested to hear what some of the new editing tools are Mattias teased about.
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

Jac459 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:11 pm I am not sure of the price of the upgrade but as an RRP user, I am not sure I can convince myself of paying more than 2 digits for an instrument and one effect in particular as they like very redundant with exisiting ones.

I am not saying that as a critic. Some people may be super happy with this. I am just not the target.
you are not alone, i feel the same, i have enough analog synths and delays and use Reason only as Rack

chk071 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:07 pm Those sound demos of the new Polytone synth sound like... a Reason synth. ;) Frankly, don't hear that much of a difference to Subtractor or Thor.
OMG. A New Synth that sounds like a synth :hihi:
Most subtractive synths sounds very similar to each other at certain settings so nothing new there :D

You don't understand what I was saying, but, nevermind. :) This thread shouldn't be about that.

chk071 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:07 pm Those sound demos of the new Polytone synth sound like... a Reason synth. ;) Frankly, don't hear that much of a difference to Subtractor or Thor.
because Polytone is basically a subtractor x2, just to tell us "look we add an instrument to the upgrade"

the "new" space delay looks like a rebadged UI of existing effects too,

hard to tell I'm a bit excited by reason 13 update
Win 11, UAD Octo satellite usb, Yamaha AG06 mk2, IK multimedia iLoud MTM x2, Ableton Live 12, Push 2, Reason 12, NI Komplete.

Well I guess we will see who the user base is here- DAW users will probably upgrade and RRP users probably wont!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:57 am they are playing catch up to make Reason have the same look/feel as other DAWS
Nope, they don't. Reason always looked and felt like Reason, which is a great thing, and it will certainly keep looking and feeling like Reason - and e.g. Blocks mops the floor with everything else.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

The bold text on the new features page is HUGE
...so you know it's good.

SLiC wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:53 pm Well I guess we will see who the user base is here- DAW users will probably upgrade and RRP users probably wont!
Am i understanding correctly that the only difference between the reason rack plugin and reason studios is you don't get the sequencer with the plugin?

VOODOO U wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:12 pm
SLiC wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:53 pm Well I guess we will see who the user base is here- DAW users will probably upgrade and RRP users probably wont!
Am i understanding correctly that the only difference between the reason rack plugin and reason studios is you don't get the sequencer with the plugin?
"Reason Studios" is the company,
"Reason" is the DAW,
"Reason Rack Plugin" is the plugin.

You get both the DAW and the plugin when you buy Reason and also with the subscription.

spacepluk wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:14 pm
VOODOO U wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:12 pm
"Reason Studios" is the company,
"Reason" is the DAW,
"Reason Rack Plugin" is the plugin.

You get both the DAW and the plugin when you buy Reason and also with the subscription.
Ah so you get both the daw and the plugin. Well shit that's a nice deal. Although if one were to use Reason excluaively, couldn't the combinator accomplish what the Rack plugin offers? I assume the rack is for those who want to run Reason inside another DAW.

kmonkey wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:58 am In my view and of course, this is only my impression - the DAW (or the sequencer itself) upgrade is below mediocre. They split the sequencer in half.
Yeah, let's look at what else they did /how they implemented stuff, but this particular feature is imo nonsensical - the "everything in one window/view" as propagated by Tracktion is completely idiotic in my not so humble opinion.

If I want to comp, I need all the screen-estate I can get for it. I don't need to see the sequencer/timeline at all for it.
If I want to mix, I need all the screen-estate for the mixer I can get. I don't need to see anything else.
If I want to arrange, I need all the screen-estate I can get for the sequencer.
I don't need to see the MIDI-editor or the comping-editor. That's stupid.

What we need is the ability to switch between the individual maximized views as painlessly as possible. And Reason has always been the queen of DAWs in regards to that. You could of course use F5-F7, which is already great, but even much better Reason is the only DAW I know that exposes all the three main windows to the OS, so in Windows you can switch using alt+tab between them.
And both the MIDI editor and the audio-editor(s) open with a simple double-click and have their own zoom- and snap-settings - i.e. with a single double-click you could access every tiny clip within a fully zoomed-out song/arrangement without usually needing a zooming at all - a simple double-click and boom! It's all right there.

So that is literally the one area where Reason imo was always clearly better than all the other DAWs. :dog: :dog: :dog:

But up until now, if you want to save another version of the same song (say an alternative arrangement or mix) you need to make a copy of the whole file including all the used audio-material the song contains - which can be several gigabyte worth of data. :dog:

And it seems that's still the same with V13. :dog:

So yeah, they worked on the sequencer/DAW this time around, but it seems their braindrain is more severe than I had been fearing.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Is this a joke? The same sequencer on the picture like before just divided into 2 areas? Thats all? No folders? No markers? No nothing?

Unbelievable.

LaLivre wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:50 pm Is this a joke? The same sequencer on the picture like before just divided into 2 areas? Thats all? No folders? No markers? No nothing?

Unbelievable.
Translation: "They didn't implement the features I wanted. Unbelievable."

How can you all be so negative before you've even tried the thing! hahaha

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”