Ardour 8.6 vs. Mixbus 10

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mixbus uses a lot of dsp obviously with its mixer, tape sim and bus implementation. How much saving would the standard Ardour have and is recording guitar with a lower sample rate realistic?
I currently have other daws to use but I’ve been curious about whether it would be possible to switch to using these two full time.
I rarely use samples or loops other than EZ Drummer 3.
I’m pretty much a guitar, bass and drums kind of guy.

If guitar, bass, drums is your primary focus, (IMO) Reaper would be a far better choice.
More CPU efficient, more advanced audio editing (via Item Editor), etc.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Thanks Jim. I’m planning on getting ahold of you again very soon. I got my old audio pc back and I would like to get that setup again. But I have some things to figure out first.

Hmmm. I was assuming someone was doing this. Does anyone use Ardour?

clintmartin wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:29 am Does anyone use Ardour?
Yes, I occasionally use it with the LinnStrument and Surge XT for recording MPE data, among other tasks.

Mixbus seems to be pretty stable as in, it crashes very rarely now, but my major gripe is it doesn't recognize many VST3 plugins and VST2 plugins too. For ex. - it fails to recognize and run any Nomad Factory VST3 plugins at all! :( Huge turn-off!

I have mailed them about this, hope they sort this bug...

hmmm, don't hold your breath, it was the same back in v3 and 4, I stopped bothering with it after 4, brought back in at v8, it was a super special price, but didn't even bother installing it, didn't even know there was a v9 and now here is v10, had a think about it, $99 upgrade or whatever, but what's the point it wont even get installed. Might have a look back in at v15 :roll:
Say NO to CLAP!

I have Ardour 8.6 on Win10, and haven't had trouble with any of the VSTs I've tried. I have hundreds of plugins installed, and haven't tried all of them as Ardour is new to me, but all have worked so far. I'm finding Ardour rather refreshing, and I'm wondering why there isn't more talk about it. I've been using it quite a lot the last few weeks, and have not experienced a single crash.

I’m planning on giving Ardour and Reaper a solid try next week.
I’ve been using Cakewalk for years and I typically keep Waveform and Mixbus updated to the latest.
I can’t find a reason to update Waveform to 13. I have 12.5 and 13 only adds a clip launcher. Something I would never need.
Cakewalk has still yet to release the new Sonar except for the subscription thing which also has features I don’t want to pay for.
Feels like a good time to change.

bk wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:08 pm I'm finding Ardour rather refreshing, and I'm wondering why there isn't more talk about it.
Open-source software projects do not typically spend significant funds on marketing or outreach, so discoverability is an issue when compared to proprietary software within the same market.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”