Sidechain in Tracktion

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Warmonger
KVRAF
1888 posts since 9 Feb, 2004 from Rochester, MN

Post Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:54 am

valley mentioned in another thread that it's possible to use the sidechain compression of Voxengo Crunchessor 1.2 in Tracktion without using Senderella. I can't understand how to do this though. It's easy enough to do with one send/receive pair for the sidechain track, with Crunchessor wrapped in a rack filter, but I just don't understand how it can be done by using rack filters alone. Could anyone explain this to me?

valley
KVRAF
4644 posts since 28 Nov, 2002 from Chicago

Post Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:58 am

put your multi-input filter in a rack.

wire up all inputs to the filter.

put the rack on two tracks (in your case the signal track and the side chain track).

// Specific to side chain stuff

Most likely the signal you are using to sidechain you'll also want to have playing as normal, so in this case create an extra set of outputs in the rack.

route the side chain inputs to both the compressor *and* the new outputs. When you place this rack in the side chain track, you'll need to also set the rack outputs to use these new 'pass-thru' outputs.

// end specific

Set one track to use one set of the racks inputs, and the other track to feed to the other set of inputs.
Someone shot the food. Remember: don't shoot food!

valley
KVRAF
4644 posts since 28 Nov, 2002 from Chicago

Post Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:05 am

dodgy ascii art:

Code: Select all

[track 1] --> [---------------] --> [track 1]
              [  \--[ side ]  ]
[track 2] --> [-----[ comp ]--] --> [track 2]

the bit in the middle being a rack that is on both track 1 and track 2
Someone shot the food. Remember: don't shoot food!

Warmonger
KVRAF
1888 posts since 9 Feb, 2004 from Rochester, MN

Post Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:14 am

Ah, I had always thought that putting a rack filter on two tracks made two separate instances of the rack filter, not one shared instance. I guess the way it works right now is the best way though. Anyway, thanks for explaining it valley.

Barbarossa
KVRian
787 posts since 7 Sep, 2004

Post Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:58 pm

Yes, the explanations about rack-filters should explicitely say, that a rack-filter can not be inserted on a track. Only references/connections to and from the 'rack', are inserted.
Once this is clear, the uinderstanding of RF is really easy.

IMO sidechaining shows very good, that TRACKTION has the most poweful and flexible audio-engine.
What Logic's enivronment was for MIDI, is T's RFs for audio! :D

Sorry, but i can't praise this sequencer enough. :love:

bobobo
KVRer
26 posts since 27 Jul, 2007

Re: Sidechain in Tracktion

Post Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:35 am

something to play with

you will need in addition the nova67p plugin.

https://vladgsound.wordpress.com/tag/nova67p/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Tracktion”