I'm looking for.......experts needed

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I need a VST-effect(not a audio-editor) to normalize tracks/sounds. Or maybe a VST-mastering-suite that has a normalizer as one of it's features. If someone knows something, let me know.

You won't be able to "normalize" in realtime with a VST effect, which is why there are none. Standard normalizing requires scanning the entire audio clip and finding the loudest point, and then adjusting the track proporitionally so that the loudest point is at 0db. The amplitude transformation (ie. the math) that's required to get this point to 0db is applied to the whole clip at once, so that the other parts are all "the same" in relation. It's like knowing exactly how much to turn your volume knob so that the loudest part of the clip is 0db. I'm not really sure how normalization based on RMS works (someone will have to step in), but it needs to be aware of ALL audio content in the audio part, as well.

What you'll want to look for is a very transparent brickwall limiter, and then estimate what your loudest 'playing' will be and adjust the threshold and output of the limiter so that it's only barely engaging when you're playing at your loudest. The rest will be unaffected.

Since I suspect you don't really WANT all the rest to be unaffected, it's not really normalization you're looking for. You're probably wanting compression, so that the quiet parts are boosted, but your overall output doesn't exceed 0db.

I apologize if I've missed the point. ;) No harm was meant with any of the above information. :D

[edit: if it's NOT realtime that you want, most hosts will offer some way of normalizing-- let us know what your host is and we can probably better aid you]

Return to “Effects”