Artist Focus: Composer Gregory Reveret's Plugin Highlights
By KVR Audio on
French born Gregory Reveret is an award-winning composer/producer based out of Los Angeles, California. Reveret worked as a collaborator on movies such as Furious 7, Deadpool, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Power Rangers doing music arrangements before teaming up with Joel Zimmerman of Deadmau5 in 2018. Together they wrote and produced "Where's the drop?", an album featuring re-imagined orchestral works of Zimmerman's catalogue, as well as some original compositions from Reveret. The critically acclaimed album was featured in Variety, Billboard and Rolling Stone Magazine. It would be followed-up with two sold-out concerts and a remix album on mau5trap, which would receive a Grammy nomination.
Most recently, Gregory has been working on an undisclosed Netflix series as well as some of the music arrangements on "Those Who Wish Me Dead" featuring Angelina Jolie.
We caught up with Gregory to discuss a few highlights in his arsenal of plugins.
I use this plugin for a variety of applications. I like to feed it a source sound, stop the DAW play head and tweak the feedback knob. I'll have a third-party app that records the feedback signal, essentially turning it into a lo-fi/distortion feedback machine. The "Lo-fi" knob on it is great and so is the "analogue" noise it can create.Gregory Reveret
H-Delay delivers everything from old school PCM42-style effects to slap-back echo, ping-pong delay, and tempo-sync with modulation.
- Up to 3500 ms delay time.
- Variable pitch delay time behavior.
- Analog character modes.
- Infinite feedback support.
- LFO-controlled pitch modulation.
- LoFi mode.
- Tap + BPM sync.
- Full MIDI support.
There honestly is not a single track in my sessions that doesn't have this plugin on its insert. It's my Swiss army knife for carving out frequencies and shaping every single sound in my cues.Gregory Reveret
FabFilter Simplon is a simplified version of FabFilter Volcano with two independent multi-mode filters providing low-pass, high-pass, and band-pass responses with 12/24/48 dB/octave slopes. The filters can be used in serial or parallel mode.
- Two multi-mode filters.
- Three different filter characteristics per filter.
- Low-pass, high-pass, and band-pass filters.
- 12/24/48 dB/octave.
- Serial and parallel filtering modes.
- Large interactive filter display.
- Large controls.
- MIDI Learn.
- Smart Parameter Interpolation.
- Sample-accurate automation of all parameters.
- Interactive help hints.
- Extensive help file.
I learned about this plugin during my time working for Tom Holkenborg of Junkie XL, who (besides being a world class chef) taught me most of what I know. I have been using it ever since in my mock-ups. It sounds so rich and natural. Splendid plugin.Gregory Reveret
From the moment it was unleashed on the audio industry in 1978, the original Lexicon 224 Digital Reverb - with its tactile, slider-based controller and famously lush reverb tail - almost single-handedly defined the sound of an entire era. It served as a major player in the sound of highly influential classics such as Talking Heads' Remain In Light, Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five's The Message, Vangelis' incredible Blade Runner soundtrack, U2's Unforgettable Fire, and Peter Gabriel's So. With such a refined legacy, it's no surprise that the Lexicon 224 remains one of the most popular digital reverb units of all time.
The result of using the very same algorithms and control processor code from the original hardware, the UAD-2 Lexicon 224 precisely captures all eight reverb programs and the chorus program - based on the Lexicon 224's final and hard-to-find firmware version 4.4. In UA's exhaustive modeling tradition, the Lexicon 224 plug-in also incorporates the original unit's input transformers and early AD/DA 12-bit gain stepping converters - nailing the entire analog and digital circuit paths right down to the last detail.
Additionally, the Lexicon 224 emulation for UAD-2 features direct input and presets from famous Lexicon 224 users, including Chuck Zwicky (Prince, Jeff Beck), Eli Janney (Jet, Ryan Adams), David Isaac (Eric Clapton, Luther Vandross), E.T. Thorngren (Talking Heads, Bob Marley), and Kevin Killen (U2, Peter Gabriel).
- Lexicon-endorsed plug-in, using the very algorithms from the original hardware.
- Models entire analog circuit and digital path for total authenticity.
- 8 reverb programs and one chorus program from final Lexicon v.4.4 firmware.
- Features Artist Presets from famous Lexicon 224 users.
- Requires a UAD-2 DSP Accelerator Card available from authorized dealers worldwide.
This plugin used to be a secret in the film composer community. It has no manual, a very clunky interface and best of all, it's free. I basically feed it a source track and it allows me to slow down the audio by 1000%. Great for pads and textures.Gregory Reveret
A plugin for extreme time stretching and other spectral processing of audio, based on the Paul's Extreme Time Stretch algorithm, previously only available as a stand alone application.
- It produces high quality extreme sound stretching. While most sound stretching software sounds bad when trying to stretch the sounds a lot, this one is optimized for extreme sound stretching. So, the stretch amount is unlimited.
- You can play the stretched sound in real-time (including the possibility to "freeze" the sound) or you can render the whole sound or a part of it to audio files
- It has many post-processing effects, like: filters, pitch/frequency shifters
- It is free Software
The people at Handheld sound sent me this along with the upcoming Mad Drums update to beta test before its release. It has since become my go-to drumkit library and is all over the project I'm currently working on. I find most libraries to be too bright/polished/clean. This library has the perfect balance of sounding natural and yet still punches through in my cues.Gregory Reveret
Fueled by a completely new interface and programmed from the ground up, MAD RocknFunk features 3 iconic drum kits and builds on the original MAD legacy focusing on a detailed authentic dynamic range and delivering every nuance with maximum impact.
Handheld Sound have incorporated a long list of custom scripted features to make drum programming completely effortless and detailed:
- 3 Kits // 20 GB // 24,000+ samples.
- Up to 20 velocities per key and 4X RoundRobin.
- Extended articulations with Left/Right hand samples and multiple drum zones.
- Legato Grace notes and cymbal chokes.
- Unprecedented Hi-Hat engine.
- Full Mixer.
- Total control over microphone bleed.
- 700+ MIDI grooves.
- E-Drums and GM support.
- Many more playability features.
Check out Gregory Reveret on IMDB