Here's what they say:
SPL Iron is a variable-bias tube compressor, often called a "Vari-Mu" design. Unlike most standard variable-bias designs, which use the bias of a single tube for compression, Iron uses a dual circuit topology. This means, the incoming signal is split between two tubes via a specially designed Mu-Metal iron transformer, running in parallel and then recombined. One tube is a 12AX7/ECC83 and the other a 12AU7/ECC82. Each tube yields a slightly different compression curve and feel.
The Attack and Release parameters have six different settings ranging from Slow to Fast. The times are not constant, they vary according to the Rectifier circuit selected: There are six different Rectifier settings available with different diodes (Germanium, Silicon, LED, mixed).
- Variable Bias Tube Compressor.
- Parallel Dual Tube Circuit.
- Custom Mu-Metal Iron Transformers.
- Feed-forward resistive Vactrol-Opto-Isolator.
- Six different Rectifier settings available.
- Sidechain that allows you to choose between Off, four sidechain-filter presets or an external sidechain signal.
- In Link mode, the Threshold, Tube Bias, Attack, Release, and Rectifier parameters, as well as the Sidechain EQs, are controlled with the right side (channel 2) of the unit.
- Master out features an additional, Passive Equalizer with two fixed sounds.
- Brainworx plugin only features such as TMT, M/S Processing, Mono-Maker and Stereo Width, Parallel Mix and Headroom.
Unique features like bit-depth analysis and high-frequency monitoring offer a new window into the world of high-resolution audio recordings.
The user experience follows aviation industry guidelines for designing cockpit instruments. Therefore, HawkEye presents all information uncluttered, minimizing eyestrain over extended periods of use.
HawkEye's main view shows all measurement instruments within a single window, yet this is only one mode of operation. To be as flexible as possible any instrument can be undocked in its own resizable window by a simple double-click, and then freely arranged on your screen.
- Level Meter: True Peak Meter for L, R, Mid & Side with different scales, including Katz-Scales; RMS Metering for L, R, Mid & Side; TPL Histogram.
- Loudness Meter: Peak to Loudness Ratio (PLR), Peak to Momentary Loudness Ratio (PMR) and Peak to short-term Loudness Ratio (PSR); Integrated Loudness (IL), Momentary Loudness (ML) and short-term Loudness (SL);
- Display: Color-coded timeline display to master against a set LU target; Loudness Range Histogram.
- Bit Monitor: 64-bit display; Bit-Depth check - Determine real bit-depth; Bit pattern and distribution timeline; Direct Current (DC) offset meter (up to -40dB).
- Vector Scope: Goniometer in linear and logarithmic view; Luminescence slider; Balance meter; Correlation meter.
- Analyzer: Spectrum- and 1/3 Octave-Analyzer as well as Phase-Panorama-Display: Spectrum (FFT) with 4096 bands achieving a high frequency and amplitude precision; Spectrogram; Panorama- and Phase-Display with a resolution of 4096 frequency bands; 1/3 octave analyzer; Linear and mouse draggable logarithmic frequency scales; Mouse draggable dB scale to change the displayed amplitude ranges.
Both plugins are now available. You have the possibility to start a 14-day fully functional trial of the plugins for free.
- HawkEye $149 (Reg $249).
- Iron $229 (TReg. $329).