|Product||Blue Cat's DP Meter Pro|
|Developer||Blue Cat Audio|
|Type / Tags||Analyser / MonitorUtility|
Blue Cat's DP Meter Pro (DPMP) is a unique audio analysis tool: it combines very flexible and customizable audio meters with advanced side chaining control capabilities thanks to its MIDI and automation outputs.
The metering capabilities of the DPMP plug-in let you control and monitor audio signals exactly the way you want: almost every aspect of the peak, RMS and crest factor meters can be customized. It proposes five different scales by default, including Bob Katz's popular K-System scales (K-12, K-14, K-20), and you can create your own.
Large colored statistics displays following your own scales are included for an overview of a track, while histograms give you a precise measurement of the dynamic range of the track. The graphs show the evolution of the audio envelopes over time, and the mid-side switch lets you verify mono compatibility problems and check the "stereoness" of your audio sources very easily. Whether you are working with mono, stereo or surround tracks, this plug-in will fit into your workflow.
All envelopes (peak, RMS, crest factor...) can be reused for additional monitoring or side chaining purposes: combined together, reversed, modified and recorded as automation curves or sent as MIDI CC messages, they can control other effects in real time.
- Multichannel peak, RMS & crest factor meter.
- True dynamic range measurement with levels histograms.
- Instant, average and maximum audio levels.
- Modular user interface to fit into your workflow, with multiple screen sizes. The GUI can be zoomed from 70% to 200%. Brightness control applies to the entire user interface.
- Total control over the metering characteristics, including attack/release shape.
- Bob Katz's K-System scales support (K-12 / K-14 / K-20 and custom)
Mono, stereo, mid-side or surround analysis.
- Record measurements (peak, RMS, crest factor, clip etc.) as automation curves.
- Control in real time any MIDI-compatible plug-in or external MIDI device with the generated envelopes thanks to the plugin's MIDI CC output.
- Manage the shape of the output envelope: record reversed envelope, change amount of signal, and offset the generated envelope. This lets you use the plug-in for side chain ducking, compression and much more.
- Easy 'stereoness' and phase cancellation measurement.
- Last loaded preset is remembered in session and displayed in the presets menu.
- Plug-in state can be reverted to the last loaded preset.
- Supports retina displays on Mac (text and graphs using high resolution).
- VST3 support for MIDI CC output (require a recently updated VST3 host).
- VST3 support for MIDI program change messages to change presets via MIDI.
Reviewed By kuzami
April 25, 2015
GUI: This is the worst part of the plugin for me. The GUI is severely dated, and while functional, it still looks horrendous. I wish they could revamp it. Biggest letdown for me. It is custimizable though, so that pulls makes it a bit better.
Features: First of all, the monitoring on this things is great. It's very useful. It uses five different scales, and you can create more if you wish. It has RMS, multipeak, crest factor and more. Also measures dynamic range. And everything is bright colors! It also has another trick up it's sleeve: advanced side chain control. You can control this with all parameters, as well as MIDI CC input. Very useful! It does "stereoness", as they call it, and can measure phase cancellation. Again, very useful.
Stability: I've had no problems with this ever crashing. Super stable, like all other Blue Cat plugins.
Price: 59 euros for the metering alone would be a bit much for me, but when consider add the advanced side-chaining controls and phase cancellation measurement, it's definetely worth the price.
Conclusion: Even though the GUI is a bit of a drag, all the useful features and the low price makes this a must-have for anyone who wants something extra in terms of monitoring, side-chain control and phase cancellation measurement.Read more
Reviewed By frog_jr
March 7, 2007
This VST plugin is the supreme sidechaining utility, bar none. Unlike others which are limited to the traditional sidechain compression, this one allows you to use the amplitude of the sound passing through it to automate anything that can be controlled with MIDI CCs.
Also, where a traditional sidechain compressor or whatever reacts to the amplitude of the sound, sometimes with the option of filtering, this plug filters the sound (just for the purposes of the plugin, it is not audible) and allows you to use the pre- and post- filter, max peak, clip, RMS, for either left or right channel.
Sure, you can get ones that do at least some of the same stuff for free. But not so many of these things at once. For those who actually want or need it, this plugin is the most configurable, easy to set up sidechaining/automation plugin of all I have seen. Compared to others, it is essentially several plugs built into one, with the bonus of a very handsome, easy GUI, as well as very well-written tutorials on its usage at their website.
So if Lemon Sidekick and other sidechain plugs are interesting to you, consider this one, as it's an extremely well-designed and clearly made by a professional outfit.
(BTW, the only features I cannot properly rate here are of course what this plugin sounds like, as it doesn't makey any sound itself, and presets. It comes with no presets, but I didn't really expect any. It's a meter, after all, and will respond to the audio signal passing through it, so I'm not sure about how presets could be used.Read more