Overall: 4790 4550
30-Day: 4705; 7-Day: 7640; Yesterday: 16129
CharBooster is a composite overdrive effect tailored specifically to be used as booster in front of any virtual amplifier model. It essentially consists of a pre-emphasis filter section designed to provide a variation of voicings for your instrument followed by a saturation circuit that excites the signal with harmonics while still being as transparent as possible. The UI is not trying to look like a hardware stomp box but rather has a range of meters and scopes to provide an insight on what is going on with your signal.
The effect's controls are broken down into 3 sections:
- Shrill – boosts the top frequencies enhancing the presence of the signal
- Bright – boosts the high frequencies adding clarity and brightness
- Tight – rolls-off the low end to reduce the muddiness of the high-gain amps
- Flat – bypass of the filtering stage
- Fat – boosts the middle frequencies for the best high-gain tone
- Warm – rolls-off the high frequencies (good for taming single-coil pickups).
- Off – bypass the saturation stage
- Tube – pre-amp stage based on a single 12AX7 triode
- Tape – simple magnetic tape model
- T-n-T – tube preamp followed by the tape model.
On the top of the effect's window there are 5 more buttons (from left to right):
The tube model used in the saturation stage is similar to the one used in Softamp 3OD, however the modeled circuit is different.
The tape model is a very simplified one. It has only the nonlinear transfer curve and dynamic frequency response modeled. Wow & flutter effects as well as phase smearing were omitted keep the CPU consumption low. It is loosely based on the Ampex ATR-102 tape recorder.
Unzip the archive and put the "AXP CharBooster.dll" or "AXP CharBooster x64.dll" to your VST folder. Make sure to select the one appropriate for your system (Win32 or x64).
This software is licensed for an unlimited usage by everyone, including personal, commercial and scientific applications. You are NOT allowed to modify it (including both the binary code and the copyright information) or sell it, in either stand-alone or bundled form. The plugin is provided "as is" without a warranty of any kind. In no event I shall be liable for any damage associated with the usage of this software. I encourage further distribution by sharing a link to this page.
Please send your questions and suggestions to my e-mail or post them here.
VST is a registered trademark of Steinberg, GmbH.