|Copy Protection||Online Activation (Challenge / Response)|
Chromaphone 2 uses acoustic resonators to create drums, percussion, mallet, string, and other unique instruments. They get sparked into life by a mallet and a flexible noise generator.
Chromaphone 2 is packed with more than 650 presets from the best sound designers. Instruments span from warm and mellow pitched percussions for melodies to punchy one-shots and kits for rhythm tracks. Twisted, they generate unique textures and soundscapes that will move any film score. Whether real, other-wordly, or with an ethnic touch, Chromaphone will fill your music with rich and organic tones.
Chromaphone 2 ships with premium performance features: unison, vibrato, and a complete set of MIDI features. And for even more action, Chromaphone provides a user programmable pattern arpeggiator and shortcuts to the high quality effects.
Modeling based synthesis gives you access to all source and resonator parameters. Customize instruments to perfectly fit your project or follow your inspiration and build entirely new ones for really creative and innovative sound design.
The Effects panel wraps up Chromaphone 2 as an all-inclusive package with awesome polishing tools.
What's new from Chromaphone 1:
- NEW Factory library—The completely renewed factory library has well over 600 production-ready sounds classified for fast and intuitive exploration.
- NEW Drumhead resonator—This new model reproduces precisely how a real drumhead vibrates resulting in super realistic and responsive drums and percussions.
- NEW Envelope mode—The envelope generator for the noise source is now equipped with an AHD mode for carving precise one-shots.
- NEW Noise filter bank—The noise source spectrum can now be tailored with a 10-band filter bank for fine control of the tone.
- NEW Low-cut filter—Resonators have been complemented with a low-cut filter to control the clarity of an instrument response.
- NEW Arpeggiator—Add motion and give a new perspective to sounds with the new built-in arpeggiator module.
- NEW Source mixer—Fine control of the mallet and noise sources to shape the attack and sustain phase of sounds with precision.
- NEW Compressor and equalizer—These new additions are perfect to add punch and definition to your sound, letting you cut through any dense mix or stage.
- NEW Limiter—The new output limiter protects your ears and monitors during experimentation with the synth's parameters while providing a maximum of distortion-free dynamics.
- NEW Streamlined interface—Redesigned from the ground up, the new interface now divides Chromaphone 2 into three panels: Play presents shortcuts to the performance and effect parameters including bypass switches for quick edits; Edit lets you tweak and create your sound; while FX supplies equalizer, compressor, multi-effect, and reverb processors for a final sheen.
- NEW Microtonal tunings via Scala scale files—Chromaphone 2 now supports the Scala scale file format for microtonal music making.
- UPDATED Overhauled effects—Reinvigorated and polished, Chromaphone 2's multi-effect processor features our best sounding chorus, delay, phaser, flanger, distortion, notch filter, wah-wah, auto-wah, and reverb to date.
- NEAT Backward compatible with Chromaphone 1 presets—Simply copy your banks from Chromaphone 1 in Chromaphone 2's bank folder to convert them.
Reviewed By blatanville
August 7, 2018
Chromaphone 2, bears the same, utilitarian face as most of AAS's virtual instruments. And that's fine - they've devised a simple, clear, and useful interface for their wares.
Underneath, and at the speaker end of things, though, this synth is special. It's alive. Really, really alive and responsive (when you take advantage of the possibilities, of course. Read tommyzai's more-comprehensive review if you want more details. I'm "chiming in" here to lend another voice supporting this amazing synthesizer.
Reviewed By tommyzai
March 30, 2016
Note: I'd like to give score this a 9.5, but that's not an option, so 10 it is (9 would be insulting).
Chromaphone-2 by Applied Acoustics Systems is an extremely versatile and dynamic virtual synth that is capable of an astounding array of timbres. It's the biggest little virtual synth I have ever used.
Chromaphone-2 does not use samples or waveforms, nor does it utilize FM, subtractive, or additive synthesis. It's based on physical modeling whereby algorithms emulate the specific vibration of instruments and other objects. The results yield an unparalleled array of realism and clarity of sound. AAS initially called v1 a "percussive synth," but it soon after proved to be capable of much, much more! As expected, it shined when creating one-shots, plucks, etc., but it easily produced lovely strings, pads, and ambient textures as well. The second version is called an "acoustic object synthesizer," which is more accurate — especially considering all the additions and enhancements. This is by far one of the most versatile virtual instruments ever created. The range of timbers is vast. I mostly used the previous version for ambient wah-wahs to add a hypnotic pulse to my tracks, but I plan to use v2 for just about everything! Be sure to check out the basses, pads, kicks and snares. The overall sound of this synth is fantastic — expressive, crisp, clear, and pleasing to the ear.
The redesigned interface is divided into three sections: Play, Edit, and FX. It's easier than ever to navigate around this lovely beast. There is a streamlined keyboard strip that is excellent for previewing sounds. The multi-effect processor contains all the groovy stuff needed to spice up patches: chorus, delay, distortion, flanger, notch filter, phaser, reverb, and the previously mentioned wah-wah. The filtering section has greatly been improved. It now has pitch bend and a really cool arp! There is also a very useful compressor and EQ on board. The new version contains over 600 patches that sound great as is or serve as an excellent start point for creating new patches.
• Easy purchase, install, and authorization.
• User-friendly, eye-pleasing interface.
• The sound! As nearly every reviewer states,"crystal clear"*.
• I love the compressor, which truly delivers "distortion-free dynamics"
• Excellent collection of presets with a convenient management system.
• Improved resonators.
• V1 presets can be converted.
• Easy to tweak and/or program.
• Fantastic built-in arp.
• Physical modeling = Small footprint (10MB for standalone version)
• Excellent developer — innovative and responsive. They are also great people. I met then in person at NAMM.
• *In general, the sound is crystal clear, but with a little creative processing the possibilities are endless.
• CPU friendly considering the quality of sound. More complex sounds are naturally hungrier. My favorite patches seem to range between 5 to 15 percent.
Chromaphone-2 is a joy to launch. Don't expect synth to be a one-trick-pony bell-like mallet machine; it's capable of just about anything, either straight out of the box or with a touch of processing. A few words that come to mind (besides clarity): Alive! Dynamic! Real! I highly recommend this fine software synth to any electronic musician, producer, sound designer, etc., regardless of genre! Tommy Zai gives this new version of Chromaphone an extra thumb up! Great job Applied Acoustics Systems. You are creating a clear path to the future of sound.Read more