€38 (with StringVerb)
|Type / Tags||Hurdy GurdyWorld|
|Copy Protection||Serial Number|
HurdyGurdy is a sample based instrument designed to closely reproduce not only the sound but also the true behaviour of the original instrument. With its detailed control options it allows you to play ethnic, traditional and historic styles and ornaments spontaneously and with ease.
- Four voices (chanter, drone1, drone2, trompette).
- The integrated StringVerb audio effect models a cluster of six sympathetic strings. StringVerb is also included as a separate VST effect.
True drone instrument behavior:
- Chanter and drones will sound continuously as long as the instrument is playing.
- The trompette buzz action is controllable through keyboard range, pitch wheel or continuous MIDI controller.
- The volume of the chanter string attack noise is velocity sensitive and can be adjusted through a panel control.
- The trompet action will raise the overall pitch and volume of the instrument to model the effect of the wheel acceleration.
- Pitchbend can be applied on the chanter string only to simulate the bending of the chanter string as applied through the tangent keys.
- Six voices (sympathetic string resonators).
- The resonator string material can be set anywhere between a damp gut/nylon like sound and a brilliant metallic tone.
- A special width control spreads the resonators in the stereo field.
- The Stringverb offers advanced pitch controls to facilitate the usage of ethnic, historic or experimental tunings.
Reviewed By bobsled
January 23, 2007
User Interface- A well laid out colorful GUI makes this plugin both easy and a pleasure to use. A few of the controls, such as Chanter and Trompette, require some knowledge of the actual instrument. No worries, there is an excellent explanation of these terms and their function (as well as nice pics) on the product page.
Sound- There is something quite special about the sound of this instrument. Evocative, stirring, plaintive, and accurate down to the very buzz and rattle that a real HurdyGurdy produces. Amazingly realistic.
*WARNING* I'm about to get all cheesy here. This instrument does make me feel more than a bit emotional while playing, as if, well, giving voice to my heart. Song to my soul? That may seem a bit much but it is honestly how I feel. Maybe it's an ancestry thing.
Features- Soundbytes has tried to give the user the means to tailor the sound of the instrument to his or her needs and tastes. It seems that it was also important to the dev that the instrument sound like what it was meant to sound, though there is an extended playable range. Two stereo outputs allow for even more flexibility and customization.
Documentation- There is an included manual as well as additional on-line information which will have you up and running in no time.
Presets- There are relatively few presets but due to the nature of the plugin how many do you need?
Customer Support- Support has been excellent, replies to my emails prompt and the dev has shown considerable class while dealing with questions here on KVR.
Value For Money- Again a rating of excellent, included with HurdyGurdy is the StringVerb stand-alone effect (the same StringVerb you see on the main panel).
Stability- Stable, stable, stable. HurdyGurdy does not crash, is CPU friendly and produces a predictable performance.Read more