Logic Pro is a comprehensive software package that delivers everything a musician needs to write, record, edit, mix, and perform in the studio and on the stage.
What's new in Logic Pro 10.5
With Live Loops, you can arrange and play with musical ideas in real time in a grid of cells, each containing a musical phrase or loop. You can start and stop cells freely while keeping everything in sync with the beat and the project tempo. Additionally, you can record a Live Loops performance to the Tracks area. Live Loops is designed for use in live performance, and can be used with compatible hardware control surfaces. See Logic Pro Live Loops overview.
Remix FX includes a set of buttons, sliders, and XY pads you can use to control real-time effects commonly used in electronic and dance music. It makes it easy to scratch mix a project, like a DJ using a turntable, to play audio in reverse, to stop or downsample the song, and to apply a variety of other dance-oriented effects. You can also use Remix FX together with Live Loops. See Logic Pro Remix FX.
Step Sequencer features a grid with steps you can edit to create repeating patterns. Each row controls either a sound or an automation parameter, and each step represents a definable length of musical time. You can easily create drum and rhythm-based patterns, as well as instrument and melodic patterns. Patterns You can adjust a wide range of parameters for individual steps, including velocity, pitch, gate time, and more; and edit pattern and row settings including pattern length, loop start and end points, playback position, and rotation. See Logic Pro Step Sequencer overview.
New drag-and-drop workflows
You can quickly create new tracks and choose one of several instrument plug-ins, insert an instrument plug-in on a software instrument track, replace the sound for Alchemy or Quick Sampler, create Sampler zones, and add samples to Drum Machine Designer pads using drag and drop. See Create tracks using drag and drop in Logic Pro, Insert an instrument plug-in on a track, Replace the sound for Alchemy on a software instrument track, Replace the sound for Quick Sampler on a software instrument track, Create Sampler zones, and Drum Machine Designer Pad controls. There are also drag-and-drop workflows for Live Loops.
Sampler provides a full-featured sampler instrument in a modern, single-window interface. You can show and hide different sets of controls to easily switch between synthesizer processing and sampler instrument editng. Synth controls include pitch, filter, and amp, as well as modulators and a mod matrix. Sample instrument controls include mapping and zone editing. You can add zones by dragging audio to the Sampler window. See Logic Pro Sampler overview.
Quick Sampler makes it easy to capture audio and to create a sampler instrument using a single audio file. You can record directly to Quick Sampler or drag an audio file to use as the starting point for an instrument. Quick Sampler analyzes the audio and can intelligently create slices, find loop points, and adjust sample length and pitch independently. You can make adjustments in the waveform display to fine-tune the results, and add synthesizer-type processing using filters, envelopes, and other controls. See Logic Pro Quick Sampler overview.
Drum Machine Designer enhancements
Drum Machine Designer is the ideal way to create, organize and interact with electronic drum kits and drum kit pieces. It is used for electronic Drummer tracks, but can also be used on instrument channel strips. Drum Machine Designer patches are now based on Drum Synth and Quick Sampler instruments. In the Drum Machine Designer window, you can view and edit Kit Controls for the overall kit, or Pad Controls for an individual kit piece. You can quickly reorder pads by dragging and add samples by dragging them to pads. Drum Machine Designer provides a flexible platform for groove production when combined with Step Sequencer. See Logic Pro Drum Machine Designer overview.
- Unified window design consolidates multiple edit and browser areas.
- Library browser makes it easy to find audio files, channel strip settings, and plug-in settings.
- Inspector provides convenient access to region and track parameters as well as primary mix functions via the innovative Dual Channel Strip.
- Assign tools to mouse and view current assignments directly in the Arrange window.
- Simple multiple track creation and setup.
- Customizable tool and transport bars.
- Context-sensitive shortcut menus.
- Definable startup behavior.
- Enhanced plug-in headers for all instruments and effects.
- Global Tracks for graphical editing of key and time signatures, markers, tempo, and transposition.
- Selectable time- and/or beat-based bar ruler for time-linear and/or beat-linear display in the Arrange window.
- Waveform zoom slider for improved visibility of low-level signals.
- Extensive zoom tools and functions.
Ultimate Writing Studio:
- Extensive MIDI composition
- Region-based quantize, transpose, gate, swing, and velocity control.
- MIDI Groove templates.
- Creative MIDI processing and routing in the Environment.
- Caps Lock Keyboard for note entry using computer keyboard.
- Custom and Hermode tuning.
- MIDI step entry.
- Full support for Apple Loops
- Apple Loops browser for finding and previewing loops based on tempo, key, style, and mood.
- Export of MIDI and audio regions as Apple Loops.
- Edit plug-ins and MIDI performances for Software Instrument loops.
- Independent loop transposition.
- Comprehensive loop tagging and editing with Apple Loops Utility.
- Complete music notation
- Real-time transcription.
- Instrument transposition.
- Guitar tablature.
- Drum notation.
- Chord symbols.
- Adaptive lyric input.
- Automatic multibar rests.
- Comprehensive palette of slurs, crescendis, and other ornaments.
- Staff Styles for easy recall of multiple stave attributes.
- Score Sets allow instruments to be combined for editing and print.
- Layout and printing of complete professional scores.
- Robust video playback features
- Embedded or floating video window display.
- Digital Cinema Desktop for display of full-screen video on second monitor.
- External video output via FireWire or DVCPRO HD.
- Global video thumbnail track.
- Scene detect option to mark video transitions automatically.
- Fast and intuitive region looping.
- Global chord track with automatic chord recognition.
- Over 980 definable key and MIDI commands.
- 90 recallable screen configurations.
- Audio file and I/O resolution up to 24-bit/192kHz.
- Internal audio resolution: 32-bit floating point; 64-bit precision where required.
- Comprehensive surround support up to 7.1, with flexible surround mixing facilities.
- Extended project length: 6 hours at 96kHz; 13 hours at 44.1kHz.
- .Mac backup and sharing of preferences and settings.
- Use of an Apple Remote to control Logic Pro 8 from a distance, with the ability to play, stop, record, rewind, fast-forward, and move to the next or previous track.
- High-end POW-r dithering algorithm.
- Seamless punch-on-the-fly recording.
- Low latency mode to remove plug-in induced latency during recording.
- Graphic beat mapping for creating tempo maps from existing audio.
- Well-designed collection of production-ready templates.
- Multiple documents open at once.
- Bounce to AIFF, WAV (Broadcast Wave), CAF, SDII, MP3, M4A (Apple Lossless, AAC).
- Fast, offline bouncing of single or multiple tracks.
- Burn any bounced audio directly to CD or DVD-A (PCM only).
- Master and author professional, Red Book-standard CDs with WaveBurner, included in Logic Studio.
- Asset management simplifies consolidation and transport of projects and their dependent assets.
- MIDI note extraction from audio for drum replacement and melodic transcription.
- Freeze Tracks feature releases CPU resources by invisibly rendering tracks.
- Distributed audio processing (DAP) aggregates processing power of multiple computers on a network.
- Serial-based copy protection.
- Powerful folders to facilitate organization and streamline various arranging tasks.
- Open GarageBand songs directly in Logic Pro.
- Support for Apple Core Audio and Digidesign DAE/TDM hardware.
- Support for TDM and AudioSuite plug-ins with DAE/TDM hardware.
- Support for Audio Units plug-ins.
- Support for AAF, OMF, Open TL, and XML (Final Cut Pro).
- Streamlined ReWire support for optimized integration with Reason, Ableton Live, and other ReWire-compatible applications.
- Intuitive region-based MIDI and audio editing.
- Comprehensive set of editing tools assignable to left, right, and key-modified mouse buttons.
- Effortless take management:
- Region-based take recording and management in automatically generated take folders.
- Pack existing tracks into take folders.
- Single-click take selection.
- Colorize takes on the fly.
- Intelligent unpacking of take folders onto separate tracks.
- Move and edit entire take folders like any other region.
- Revolutionary Quick Swipe Comping
- Build a comp track from multiple takes.
- Create comps on the fly.
- Audition comps in real time.
- Automatic, customizable crossfades between phrases.
- Flatten function replaces take folder with regions that represent the current comp.
- Flatten and Merge function replaces take folder with newly created audio file.
- Multiple MIDI editors:
- Piano Roll.
- Event List.
- Graphical time stretching and compression in the Arrange window.
- Sample-accurate editing in the Arrange window.
- Definable relative or absolute snap grid.
- Nondestructive graphical fades and crossfades.
- Snap-to-transient selection.
- Shuffle and Auto-Crossfade Arrange Edit modes.
- Destructive sample editing using built-in or external sample editor like Soundtrack Pro 2.
- 10,000-step undo history.
- Time-linear and/or beat-linear display in the Arrange window.
Professional Mixing and Automation:
- Track Mixer views simplify mixer channel navigation.
- Dynamic channel strip creation accelerates mixer setup and configuration.
- Easy setup of multi-output software instruments.
- Signal Flow view option shows all channel strips (e.g., Aux, Output, Master) within the audio signal path of the selected channel strip.
- Save/Load complete plug-in configurations using channel strip settings.
- Sample-accurate, track-based 32-bit automation.
- Track- or region-based solo and mute.
- Track mute/solo in either Fast or CPU-Saving mode.
- Solo safe mode for any channel strip.
- Direct insert patching of external hardware instruments and effects.
- Exponential or dB-linear level meter scaling.
- Busses as sources for recording.
- Inline input monitoring.
- Up to 255 independent mono, stereo, or surround audio channels.
- Up to 255 independent software instrument channels.
- Up to 255 auxiliary channel strips.
- 64 busses.
- 15 inserts, 8 sends per channel.
- 32 multi-assignable channel groups for mix and edit.
- Extensive control surface support with autolearn.
- EuCon protocol support for Euphonix MC and System-5-MC control surface systems.
- Support for Smart AV Smart Console.
- Support for active control surfaces via CS plug-ins.
- Curve tool for refining automation.
- Powerful automation features include:
- Group automation recording.
- Linked editing of grouped automation.
- Automation Quick Access for easy hardware control of currently selected parameter.
- Automate any channel strip parameter or plug-in parameter on the fly or manually input parameter values using a breakpoint interface.
- View multiple automation parameters for a single track at once.
- Simultaneously view and edit automation for single or multiple tracks.
- Read, write, touch, and latch automation modes.
- Support for all standard surround configurations, including LCRS, Quad, 5.1, 6.1, and 7.1.
- Support for multichannel interleaved and split surround audio files.
- Play back, record, or process multichannel interleaved audio files.
- Surround level metering.
- Multichannel signal routing via sends, busses, and auxiliaries.
- Graphic Surround Panner to manipulate mono or stereo streams within a surround field.
- Graphic Surround Balancer to simultaneously balance all channels of surround input.
- Support for Logic Studio True Surround plug-ins.
- Built in multi-mono support lets you use any mono or stereo Logic Studio or Audio Units plug-in in a surround project.
- Surround bounce and burn to DVD-A (PCM only) disc.
- Dolby Digital AC-3 encoding and preview with Compressor.
- Easy mixdown to stereo and surround formats using Down Mixer plug-in.