The Rogers Big R Dub Kit is the ultimate sounding dub kit. This kit has been used to record Drumdrops in Dub Volume 3 and Drumdrops in Ska as well as many other commercial releases. The kit comprises a 24" x 14" Bass Drum, a Ludwig Black Magic 14" x 6.5" Snare Drum, a Ludwig Acrolite 14" x 5" Snare Drum, a huge 18" x 16" Floor Tom, and two Rack Toms, a 14" x 10" and a 13" x 8". The cymbals used were 15" Zildjian A Sweet Hi-Hats and a 17" A Custom Crash. Percussion for this kit includes a 14" Timbale drum and a set of Bongos. Also included is some Electronic Percussion using a Boss PC-2 Percussion Synthesizer and a Tama Techstar TS-204.
The kit was recorded and mixed by UK producer, musician and engineer Mike 'Prince Fatty' Pelanconi. The drummer used was reggae specialist Horseman. His hard-hitting beats have backed the likes of Wailing Souls, Sugar Minot, Max Romeo, Barrington Levy, John Holt, Big Youth, Gregory Isaacs and many more.
The recording and mixing took place in Miloco's The Ironworks in Brighton, UK. At the centre of the Control Room can be found a rare vintage 1970s BBC console. The outboard racks are full of great gear including a Lang PEQ-2 EQ, a Langevin EQ258A EQ, and plenty of dub reverbs. All of the drums were recorded without compression. The Kick drum used an external EQ - The Lang PEQ - 2A. All other EQ'ing was handled by Mike's collection of API 550's. Mike chose not to record any room microphones for this kit as he wanted a tight, dry Reggae sound.
The "Kontakt pack" is our sample pack for this kit has been designed exclusively for Native Instruments Kontakt 5. The pack includes up to sixteen velocities of each articulation and in total it contains 5352 samples. Included in the Kontakt pack is the latest version of the Drumdrops Kontakt 5 interface. The key features included are:
- A 10 channel mixer. Each channel comes with a Mute, Solo, Phase Reverse and 2 Aux sends.
- Two snares to switch between. A Ludwig Black Magic & Ludwig Acrolite Snare.
- Timbale, Bongos & Electronic Percussion included for Dub authenticity.
- Multiple Convolution Reverbs included, 4 studios Impulse responses and many classic reverbs as used by Lee Scratch Perry and King Tubby.
- The ability to change the velocity curve and tuning of each drum.
- Randomise the tuning, velocity, EQ and timing for added realism.
- Multiple Round Robins included for extra authenticity.
- 4 band EQ and Transient Master included on each channel.
- A buss compressor and Tape saturator on the mix buss.
- Ability to route each channel to your DAW.
- 14 Mix presets included mixed by a variety of engineers and producers.
- A full version and lite version for use on laptops.
- Multiple MIDI maps included with full compatibility with the Roland TD-12, TD-20 and TD-30 V-drums and the Yamaha DTX-900.
The Kontakt Pack is available exclusively from the Drumdrops store costing £ 40.00. Head over to the Drumdrops site find out more.