|Product||Vienna MIR PRO|
|Developer||Vienna Symphonic Library (VSL)|
|Type / Tags||Reverberation and Mixing StagePlug-in Chainer / Rack|
|Copy Protection||Dongle (USB-eLicenser)|
Vienna MIR PRO is a network-capable mixing solution for Mac and PC, based on revolutionary Multi-Impulse Response convolution.
Vienna's software developers are taking the concept of convolution reverberation to the extreme. The application of up to 256 multi-channel room impulses results in an enormous number of calculations that need many innovations and ingenious programming to allow for flawless execution on a single 64-bit computer.
But, why all the effort? Imagine the sound of a Bösendorfer Imperial Grand. Do you think it would be sufficient to record a single Middle C to make for a convincing virtual instrument? Of course not. You have to go for individual samples from as many keys as possible, sampled in as many velocities as the human ear is able to distinguish. The same is true for sampling a room. What the industry has had up to now are single samples from an acoustic entity much larger than even the biggest instruments. There's no way you can "play" a room like that. But this is what great rooms are all about – they want to be played by musicians, conductors, arrangers, just like any other instrument.
This is the reason the Vienna Symphonic Library started to record multi-samples from great musical venues. In fact, Vienna MIR PRO is more than just "a multi-sample" and this is where it far surpasses any other convolution reverb product. Vienna MIR PRO is multi-source, multi-directional, multi-positional, and multi-format. Because every room has its own voice, with its own characteristics, its imperfections – its "magic".
Let's look at what happens when you place a Vienna Instrument, e.g., the solo horn, on Vienna MIR PRO's virtual stage of a given concert hall. First of all, the position on stage triggers the selection of one or more sets of 8 impulses (6 for horizontal directions, 2 for upward and downward directions). Equally important, the directivity characteristics of each instrument are applied before the convolution of impulses, making the result dependent on the frequency distribution and the volume an instrument is emitting in various directions. A horn, directed to the rear, obviously has a different spatial frequency profile than the frontally blaring trumpet, for example. The MIR engine calculates all of this in real-time, and what you get is what you hear – a solo horn that sounds exactly as if it were playing on that very spot on stage.
Of course, you are not limited to those spots that were used for impulse recording in the first place. The Ambisonics format for the impulse responses allows for seamless interpolation of each and every point within the available areas of the room ("Hot Spots").
The MIR Control Icon
These new approaches to virtual orchestral music require novel ways of handling them. Creating music is not about tweaking thousands of parameters individually – it's about intuitive interaction with your instrument, or with the players you've written music for.
Vienna MIR PRO provides you with a well-designed control icon that gives you an at-a-glance overview while allowing you to control almost any sonic aspect of a given instrument with ease.
This innovative graphical representation of an instrument and its player allows you to shape your music from the conductor's point-of-view. Simply ask musicians to change their position, their orientation, their volume, without ever leaving the whole ensemble out-of-sight. Get instant information on their loudness, their interaction with the room and their corresponding sonic and spatial profiles. Forget about mixing consoles with knobs and dials, but rest assured that all of the necessary parameters are available whenever you feel the need to use them.
- Spatialization and reverberation based on Multi-Impulse Response convolution.
- Highly specialized impulses of line arrays in 60° steps in six horizontal directions as well as upwards and downwards.
- Up to 40 sectors per stage for instrument placement, with interpolation between sectors for seamless transitions.
- Up to 5,000 individually recorded impulse responses for each room, depending on the size of the stage and the number of microphone positions.
- Instrument-specific algorithms according to individual directional frequency profiles.
- Four-channel Ambisonics recordings for output in various stereo and surround formats (up to 8 output channels).
- Rooms recorded from up to four carefully selected positions – from the conductor's rostrum as well as from the audience perspective.
- AU/VST/AAX Native/RTAS plug-in for direct integration with most modern DAWs.
- Optional one-click integration in Vienna Ensemble (free version included with the Vienna Instruments player) and Vienna Ensemble PRO 5 (sold separately).
- Full latency compensation.
- Graphical user interface depicting 3D renderings of the selected room (venue maps) with scroll wheel zooming.Intuitive graphic user interface with innovative multi-parameter control icon.
- Intuitive multi-parameter Control Icon for quick interaction with instruments and visual feedback – and direct access to the connected VSTi instrument.
- Character Presets (such as 'Air', 'Silk', 'Bite', 'Distant', 'Warm') for quick timbral changes, available for most Vienna Instruments.
- GUI options such as Instrument Grouping, Hide Icon, Instrument Focus.
- Room EQ and Master EQ.
- Pre-listening feature before selecting a room.
- Adjustable Room Tone (natural noise floor).
- Microphone Position Offset allowing for movement of virtual microphones in the room.
- Reverb length can be changed individually for each microphone position.
- Enhanced possibilities for defining the format and for the handling of the virtual main microphone (s), including the option for using a secondary microphone in most rooms.
- Works with any commonly used sampling frequency, up to 192 kHz.
- MIRacle plug-in – Direct access to a tailor-made algorithmic global reverb for "sweetening".
- 4 RoomPacks available (sold separately):
- Vienna MIR RoomPack 1 – Vienna Konzerthaus.
- Vienna MIR RoomPack 2 – Studios & Sound Stages.
- Vienna MIR RoomPack 3 – Mystic Spaces.
- Vienna MIR RoomPack 4 – The Sage Gateshead.
In combination with Vienna Ensemble PRO 5:
- LAN capability.
- Direct and/or stem outputs.
- 3rd Party VSTi/AU hosting.
- Audio inputs.
- Automation of user-defined parameters.
- MIDI remote control of user-defined parameters.
- Learn All/Optimize All for Vienna Instruments.
- Master Tune for Vienna Instruments.
For smaller projects, e.g., users of the Vienna Special Editions:
- PC Intel i7-Quad CPU or better, with Windows 7 64-bit.
- Mac Intel i7-Quad CPU or better, OS X 10.6.8 or higher.
- 12 GB RAM.
For larger projects:
- PC Dual Intel Quad Core XEON 5520 or better, with Windows 7 64-bit.
- Mac Pro 8-Core Xeon 5520 "Gainstown" or better, with OS X 10.6.8 or higher.
- 24 GB RAM.
- DirectX 10-capable video card with support for OpenGL 2.1 (Win 7).
- AU/VST/AAX Native/RTAS compatible host; also works stand-alone in combination with Vienna Ensemble PRO 5.
- ViennaKey (Vienna Symphonic Library protection device or other USB eLicenser, e.g., from Steinberg or Arturia).
- eLicenser Control Center software (get the latest available version from www.elicenser.net).
- Vienna MIR RoomPack with dedicated impulse responses (sold separately).