replacement for my nord modular hardware..

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys ..I'm new here :) :tu:
whats up?

Im thinking of selling my nord modular keybord and looking for vsti instrument that can replace my nord? I'm looking at Moog modular V? but is it enough just that?any suggestion?
sorry if this type of question been asked before here
cheeers

rio herrero

Really? I want to do the opposite. I want to replace my software with the nord modular.

AAS Tassman might be a good one. Got physical models as well as analog synth bits.

Reaktor 5 is fantastic. Also PSOFT's VOID looks great and is alot of fun to demo - just too expensive for what you get!

yeah..i have tried the demo of AAS tasman..not bad..but kinda difficult to learn...
Think of holding on to my aging nord 'cos the sound still great if you mix it with hardware fx and got like 20 thousands preset all over the net..but the two octaves keyboard really killing me..not good for midi controller.

Get your hands on a masterkeyboard and your problem is solved.

you know about DiscoDSP Discovery right? it's designed to be very close to a Nord 2..

Last edited by vista on Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

KarmaFX synth has been compared to the likes of nord modular in music mags and such - its not as difficult as reactor, but more focused on giving you a pallete of already built modules (oscillators, amps, filters etc) that u wire together - very much like hardware ...

I'm not sure specifically about the Nord Modular, but the free KarmaFX, Tassman, Reaktor, VAZ Modular and (semi-modular) Zebra 2 could all be good choices. To me Tassman and KarmaFX were the easiest to comprehend, if Tassman is too complex, you probably don't want to take on Reaktor at all ;).

There's no "1:1 Rebuilt" of the Modular yet, only a rompler which has some sounds of it. You can get away best with stuff like VAZ or Tassman AAS, then again both of them are more "analog aimed".

You can try to find an equivalent in my sig, but I won't promise much for the Clavia part.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

wow..this is actually pretty nice!! a monophonoc free modular..just have to figure out a way to record it's output.

Tim

I have all of the above but it's clear there is nothing that comes that close to the G2 Modular. The closest is Creamware's Modular 3 (which is close enough that some users of both systems have managed to roughly translate patches between them) but it lacks the intuitiveness and ease of use of the G2 editor and sounds quite different (arguably has a better sound in fact but I like the NORD sound in it's own right).

The software version often sounds very different... the hardware G2 runs at 96khz, and the software only sounds correct if you run your interface at that speed. Not that it sounds *bad* at other rates, but it isn't the same.

There really isn't anything else equivalent to the Nord Modular in software. Instruments like Reaktor, Synthedit, SynthMaker, and Tassman are fantastic, but they don't recreate the experience of patching cables on an analog modular synth the way the Nord does. The Moog emulation has the closest equivalent workflow, but as the original poster already guessed, its extremely limited by comparison. KarmaFX is a really great freebie, but not even remotely close to the Nord. One other thing that comes to mind is VOID, but I haven't tried that and kind of doubt it will get you close to the versatility of the G2.

Again, I'm not trashing any of these softsynths... in fact I own several of them. But in response to the original question, is there software which replaces the Nord Modular, the answer is basically no... with the possible exception of the Nord software demo version.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:Instruments like Reaktor, Synthedit, SynthMaker, and Tassman are fantastic, but they don't recreate the experience of patching cables on an analog modular synth the way the Nord does.
Agreed. However you do get exactly this with the Creamware Modular (in fact I'd say it is the closest of all recreations of a hardware modular). The main difference between the Creamware Modular and the G2 though is that the Creamware one is rather harder and slower to get good results from because the interface is less ergonomic and the difference in sound is huge (I hesitate to use the term "analog" but I suspect the Creamware Mod has a sound that comes closer to people's understanding of what that means whearas the Nord sound is often described as colder and less rich, though to my ears it is also very pleasing for different reasons and I think the G2 can create more diverse sounds and it's certainly more stable).

-VAZ Modular(more aggressive sharp sounding)
-Creamware ModIII(warmer and more analog sounding)
-> ModIII combined with Flexor1 and the upcoming Flexor2 will be very hard to beat.

The positive side of the CW ModIII is that even simple presets sound better than most synths in VST world.
less digital harshness.
http://adern.com/home/modules.php?name= ... view&id=10 here you find sounddemos...

my recommendation

Return to “Instruments”