FREE BRAINSTORMER synth - sad news :(

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BrainStormer

Hi Olivier,

Ah, vous et Francais :) Ok, I'll stick to English. I'm Dutch by the way :)

I tend to agree to minimise confirmation windows, there are truly enough of them. But for something like a patch manager, I think it's kind of essential to keep people from making mistakes. Perhaps it can even be made optional, but I'm unaware of how difficult/easy this would be to program.

About the attack time (I saw decay/sustain are actually already much longer then 4 seconds), it's ok, best to leave it like that. It's easy enough to just make an automation clip in FL to make longer risers and such. For the track I wanted to avoid automation to see what i could get out of Brainstormer alone. But of course there's more ways then one to make it happen.

The diagram is very helpful, yes, thanks!

I did have some trouble to get the kicks right. I ended up layering them with the sub-kick preset I made for that purpose. But I will try out your suggestions and see if I can come up with better ones :) And thanks for the compliment. Did i win something? :p :p Hahaha.

Looking forward to the next incarnation of Brainstormer!

regards, Frank
Vocal MC for 21 years straight // http://mc-ub.free-frank.net

Hey Guys,

The manual is now available !

http://roazhondsp.storm-mastering.com/w ... 150905.zip

All thanks goes to Rolf Kasten for writing this detailed 122 pages manual :clap:

I believe this will also be a good basis for people who want to learn technical aspects of sound synthesis.

roazhondsp wrote:Hey Guys,

The manual is now available !

http://roazhondsp.storm-mastering.com/w ... 150905.zip

All thanks goes to Rolf Kasten for writing this detailed 122 pages manual :clap:

I believe this will also be a good basis for people who want to learn technical aspects of sound synthesis.
:hyper: Many thanks Rolf Man :clap: Thanks for the great synth too Oliver :tu:
:tu: All is good

Hello guys,

I'm Clement, Olivier's friend who's hosting the Brainstormer on a sub-site of my company website. And I'm the second half of his music project (the album who took a bit too much attention from the Brainstormer, sorry !). Long time reader (only) of KVR, I registered as I have some very bad news.

Olivier unfortunately died the 27th October, that was quite a shock.
Since we lived 800 km apart, we finally had the time to schedule some time with his wife and friends to "handle" his stuff. We gave some to local artists, friends, as he would have wanted it to serve to other people.

Anyway, I already had the Brainstormer source code (backup in our shared Dropbox). But now that I have seen his computer with his install, libraries, etc., I have installed the same on mine and have been able to export and compile a working version of the Brainstormer, so we can finish the development and release that 1.0 version !

I'm not a stranger of the synth, quite the contrary, as I beta tested it since a lot of years, discussing some formulas, user tweak-ability, features and overall workflow a lot with Olivier. But I did not transcript to code even one line.

I will not give any date or so, because it will take time, as it will be a side project for me, and I'll need some time to understand all his code (which doesn't have a lot of comments, but is nicely named and labeled so comprehensible). I already have corrected some bugs that we identified a long time ago, like the FM amount, which was a little bit too much and not tuned (so for a "tuned" FM, spanning three octaves, you would have to be around 91/92 % depth. Now there is 4 octaves corresponding to 100%).

I don't think I will push the synth further after the 1.0, that way I'll not compromise my friend's vision of the synth. I know he really wanted it to get out of the beta phase, so we will push the synth there for him, in his memory.

I'll try to post some time to time my advancements here.

Also, we don't have access to his brainstormer gmail account nor his KVR account, so if some of you did send in PM or mail some bug lists, feel free to send them to me in PM or post them in this thread. Thanks.

ps : sorry for my frenchy english

HI, Clément, sorry to hear about Olivier's passing away, and thank you very much to let us know about what is going on... Thank you also for caring, and keeping his projects alive.

:(
It's easy if you know how

Dear LORD! i'm in shock.

I just finished a song that used Brainstormer as the lead synth...

for you Olivier.. :(

thank you for giving us this wonderful synth and may your memory
live on through it. :hug:
https://soundcloud.com/layzerkvr/ramirez-amazon
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Ow, that's really sad news... My deepest respect to all of his family and friends for this loss...

I think Olivier would really appreciate you taking the effort to push Brainstormer out of beta. If I can be of any help testing, just let me know.

I had created 1 track with only Brainstormer (drums/synths/fx, everything with Brainstormer except my vocals), called 'Brainstormer'. In memory of Olivier I've now renamed it 'Fly me away to the Sunshine'. I'm sure Olivier is in a much better place now.

In memory of Olivier: 'Fly me away to the Sunshine' - Brainstormer only track:
http://soundcloud.com/unbeliever/fly-me ... e-sunshine

sincerest,

Frank
Vocal MC for 21 years straight // http://mc-ub.free-frank.net

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I don't think it will be impossible for me to continue it since the beta 0.89.1 isn't that far away from a completed release. The longest part will be to understand the overall architecture of the coding, all the includes and stuff. The math part will not be a problem for me.

What I didn't found on his computer though is the log / documentation of known bugs, to be corrected, so if you had send Olivier some, please post them here so I can document, log and check them.

In the meantime, if some of you are curious about what he was doing musically, our last album, which features massive abuse of the Brainstormer (since at the beginning, Olivier developed it to be our perfect-fast-but-highly-usable-synth) and some virus, nord modular and blofeld, is full there :
https://soundcloud.com/cubic_spline/cub ... ne-oxymora
Haters of Psytrance, do not click ;)

Hi. I'm sorry to hear this. It is always a shock when we are confronted to our own humanity and mortality by reading news like this. My deepest regrets and condolences to his family. May he RIP.
Fernando (FMR)

RIP Olivier, deep respect.

Thank you for your legacy.

Thanks to everyone for this thread. Its tough when we lose someone, especially someone great.
___
Join Us at The Forest Forum
Robin - NorthWood MediaWorks - lurking at KVR since 2007 - sequencing since 1984

RIP Olivier, we'll use this Brainstormer Plugin until the end of time.
"Art is the fundamental language of expression, it piers into our souls and moves us, Music is Art...it surrounds us." - Joel Bisson

Our deepest condolences. Life is so precious - and fragile. May his legacy will live on with Brainstormer!

Whoa ! bad news,
it's a reel great synth, with a lot of ideas behind.
Perhaps we could make an osc challenge with Brainstormer and make some tracks in his memory !
mes sinceres condoleances, toutes mes pensées a sa famille et ses proches.

Sounds great! I'm not into this specific kind of psy (i prefer more melodious psytrance), but the synth sounds and the production are excellent. Must look into this synth, didn't know that it exists at all.

But this is really the most terrible way to learn about a new synth, so sorry to hear this
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Return to “Instruments”