Xhip vs Analog Hardware

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Xhip Synthesizer

An alternative is you can open the installer (exe) directly in 7zip and extract the files.

This is also all the installer does. It extracts the files, detects the VST plugins directory and copies the files. It may not need admin access. For example I use /users/public/vst/ as my system plugins folder.

Just to be sure though as many people may use /program files/... I've set the installer to require privilege elevation.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

I have admin privilege.
And welcome back. :)
aciddose wrote:An alternative is you can open the installer (exe) directly in 7zip and extract the files.
OK, i'll try.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Today i was in the mood for some Vangelis Blade Runner CS80 style sounds, so i set one instance of Xhip to +100 volume and the second instance to -100 volume on modulation wheel in "Route" section.
1st instance was set to a little bit aggressive sound with saw oscillators and the internal clipper effect engaged and also some vibrato response to mod wheel, the other instance was very mellow with triangle oscillators.
I don't have an aftertouch capable keyboard, thats why i had to use the mod wheel to crossfade between the 2 sounds.
+ Tal Chorus LX + MDA Combo + NastyDLAmk2 + epicVerb.
It was absolutely beautiful. :D
Words can't express the joy i felt while playing some random notes and minor chords.
But i didn't save it, so: All those moments will be lost in time, like tears... in... rain... :borg:
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Site down again... :(
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Not "down", just disconnected :)

Back in ye olden days not only was it possible that your internet connection might not work; It may not have existed at all!

E-gads!

Actually in the days of yore pre-2004 and before if you happened to have a copy of Xhip you likely got it via a direct DCC send via IRC. Even further pre-Xhip (1997) it would have been via 28.8k baud. I remember once sending it to a guy via a direct modem connection using ... I can't even remember anymore. Win3.11 mid-90s though.

Do you remember answering the phone and hearing "EACHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHZZZ KKKPSSSHPPPPPHHKKKK BEEEEEEEE BEEEEEEE KSSSSSSSPSPHKPSSSSSSSHHHHHH". Then it would go silent, and you knew the guy could hear you so you'd yell "HANG UP THE f**king MODEM AND CALL ME ON THE PHONE FIRST DUMBSHIT. MY PC ISN'T EVEN ON."

I wasn't one of the insane sort who had a BBS running non-stop.

The same series of events would occur if you'd attempted to call one of these individuals and you'd yell essentially the same thing. "HANG UP THE f**king MODEM AND ANSWER THE PHONE, DUMBSHIT."
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.

aciddose wrote:28.8k baud
My first modem was 33.6kbit/s. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvr9AMWEU-c
My dialup sound was a bit different.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

I remember that sound well. Funny thing is that back then I did not consider the Internet as slow as it actually was in hindsight. The few things one could do back then, worked without interruption, sometimes better than today :hihi:

Ok, this time i have only a dim idea about what hardware was originally used.
Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond.
First half of part 1.
Work in progress, no blips and singing bowls, probably wrong chords especially at the start, roughly matched mix and EQ.
Xhip on the left, original audio on the right.
https://app.box.com/s/8ewn5b6papgwzj2zhg7zmer9utlsh5kk
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAEXH9DAH98
Found this nice video, i will use it as an example for one part of the pad sound.
The triangle pitched sound is easy, i was just wondering how the high frequency "whishhoowash" sound of the finger moving along the edge sounds.

OK got it nailed, ring mod + unison + band pass and high pass filters.

Blips and plinkplonks next. :)
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Analog hardware indeed :hihi:

This time it is not a "A VS B", but Xhip with internal effects (no external processing of any kind) inspired by all the YT videos i could find of this beautiful piece of old hardware:
It is Hammond Novachord from 1938.

And the best music for it to play was composed in 1936 and first performed in 1938:
Samuel Barber - Adagio for Xhips
(use the download link on top right)
Don't expect to hear Novachord, it is more like my idealized dream of how it would sound.

ps. I used a MIDI file from this page, the 1st one.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Basically a nice string pad :)

fluffy_little_something wrote:Basically a nice string pad :)
Basically. :)
But none of the 70-90 analog giants like Jupiter 8, JX-8P, or even CS-80 would be able to do that kind of string pad - not enough LFOs, not enough modulation options, not enough internal effects of the right kind.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Mutant wrote: And the best music for it to play was composed in 1936 and first performed in 1938:
Samuel Barber - Adagio for Xhips
(use the download link on top right)
Don't expect to hear Novachord, it is more like my idealized dream of how it would sound.
Nice :tu:
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

So in other words I should really implement some sort of method by which to save effect + route state data :)

Return to “Instruments”