PG-8X (2.0) released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pg-8x

martin_l wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:03 pm Hi All.
Hi and thank you very much for all your hard work. :)
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Wow, having a proper JP-10/MKS-70 emulation would be nice, since it's not just the same as using two instances of PG-8X...

Great to hear, thanks Martin!

Wow, great news, can’t wait for a juced up version of it... I have confidence, that the surge team would also mpeify it...

I also have a functioning MKS-70 if it will help.

Tj Shredder wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:02 amI have confidence, that the surge team would also mpeify it...
One step at a time... :) Mac/Linux builds first, then GUI scaling, then anything else...

Take all the time of the world, I can wait...; - )
I am just a bit euphoric because it seems open source is getting into a flow...
One of the positive aspects of life in these difficult times...

Surge team taking over? so vst3 64bit only. Great..not
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Any open-source plugin simply cannot be VST2 because VST 2 license does not allow redistribution of VST2 source code (which is what open source requires). VST3 is dual license (commercial and GPL3), that is the only way to go. We've been through this a number of times already, it's not up to us, take it up to Steinberg.

Also, not 64-bit only, it'd still be 32-bit (Surge still is 32-bit on Windows).

(Besides, you still have Reaper ;))

vst3 is 32bit?

that seems a bit cockeyed....

also, I dont recall seeing surge being mentioned as vst3 only.... if so, maybe make the thread title reflect that (unless I've missed something)

VST3 can be both 32-bit and 64-bit, that's always been the case ever since it was relesed.

Surge is VST3 only after the team has clarified the licensing shenanians behind VST2, VST3, and Surge being open-sourced under GPL3 license. VST2 does NOT work with GPL3 and Steinberg could sue/cease&desist.

You can still BUILD Surge yourself if you're a legitimate licensee of VST2 SDK, the codebase supports that. We just can't distribute it, for above mentioned reasons.

EvilDragon wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:56 pm VST3 can be both 32-bit and 64-bit, that's always been the case ever since it was relesed.

Surge is VST3 only after the team has clarified the licensing shenanians behind VST2, VST3, and Surge being open-sourced under GPL3 license. VST2 does NOT work with GPL3 and Steinberg could sue/cease&desist.

You can still BUILD Surge yourself if you're a legitimate licensee of VST2 SDK, the codebase supports that. We just can't distribute it, for above mentioned reasons.
ah, OK, I understand totally its not you it's "S".... still seems odd that vst3 is 32bit.....not like them to cater for dinosaurs

VST3 was released in 2008, the transition to 64-bit was still kinda in process back then...

That said, many plugin developers simply decided once they went to VST3 they would also go 64-bit only, so that kinda skews perception I suppose!
Last edited by EvilDragon on Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This is really good news IMO; PG-8X being developed by the Surge team. One question I have, (only a cosmetic issue, nothing important) is the GUI going to be revamped?

Return to “Instruments”