Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

provoc wrote:So I think your proposed solution of a "maxStackVoices" variable that is set to 1 by default but configured as high as the user wants/needs would be a good compromise :tu:
Actually, in any programmable synth, I don't want to be protected in a way that restricts anything... !
The accidents which might happen are the creative salt and spice which is missing so much in most musics. Most people who use keyboards or just set little rectangles in a piano roll, are not able to create that "danger" anyway, and if, they get help at KVR and learned something...
It was and is an unneccessary restriction. If you don't want multiple same note pitches, just don't play them...
I vote for no option and just no limit...

http://www.musictech.net/2018/04/freewa ... p-plugins/

Guess which mono version is listed there! ;)
Last edited by RPH on Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wow, Fathom on the same list as Audacity and Voxengo, not bad. :tu:

The next release will have a new oscillator with a built in filter of my own design.

This filter is not based on the standard zero delay filter design but uses a completely new algorithm based on the Gaussian probability distribution function and uses no feedback loop.

The following audio files use the exact same midi sequence, waveform, volume, modulation and effects, with the only difference being the filter.

Biquad
https://static.kvraudio.com/files/3302/ ... filter.mp3

Gaussian
https://static.kvraudio.com/files/3302/ ... filter.mp3

The only difference other than the filter itself is that because gaussian has no feedback loop, there is no delay, chorusing or popping, so the modulation could be driven to a slightly lower cutoff frequency and with no smoothing applied to the envelope edges. The standard biquad filter envelope had to include a slight smoothing on the envelope edges to prevent popping.

Interesting - is there a paper which explains how it works?

FathomSynth wrote:Wow, Fathom on the same list as Audacity and Voxengo, not bad. :tu:
And well deserved!

That new filter sounds very interesting.
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

Pretty darn snappy.nice hi mids as well.even ZDF's like the ones in Diva can introduce some pretty unpleasant shattered glass like frequencies at the 3-6khz range.look forward to giving this a whirl
I

I will be starting design work shortly on the new Fathom Sampler.

This will be the sampler to end all samplers.

So this is your chance to make feature requests for how you want it to work.

Each sampler unit will have 6 screens

1. Oscillator controls.
2. Sample Layers.
3. Sample loop controls.
4. Sample editing window.
5. Sample wave table window.
6. Granular window.

1 will provide controls over the sample as an oscillator and will include all the existing oscillator dials.

2 will consist of several layers where each layer is a list of samples which can be automatically imported by folder with controls to apply each sample to MIDI note ranges, velocity ranges, pressure ranges, and user defined parameter ranges.

3 this is the main sample window with the sample playback settings, including speed, forward reverse, multiple loop points, envelope overlays, randomization of starting points and loops.

4 like the wave draw editing window except you can do real time playback in place editing of the sample with multiple edit modes such as point by point editing, wave draw editing, and bezier curve editing.

5 just like the wave table except each index position is a layer. This provides table morphing between entire layers.

6 a granular synthesis window using each sample as input.

It will also include a re-sampler where any audio unit or the entire instrument can be recorded and then used as a sample object.

Awesome features you’re planning!

Can’t think of anything atm..

This sounds promising :)

One feature that I think would be useful would be if you could specify the size in samples of a single cycle (e.g. 2048) for playback and use with the indexing/speed controls. For comparison, Alchemy uses a fundamental note pitch and although you can fudge/approximate the single cycle size with a bit of maths (for example I can get Alchemy to play back/scan Serum wavetables which have a 2048 sample singlecycle by setting the root note to F0) it would be more convenient in this case to specify in samples.

Anyway, not sure how this fits in with what you had in mind but it was the one thing I could think of that I cannot do with Alchemy ;)

-Macro knobs. So that I can hook sample start, loop start and loop end to a same knob and automate it/wiggle it with my keyboard etc etc.
-Proper crossfade that there's no nasty clicks or pops when I jump through the sample back and forth like a frog on speed.

About Oscillators: What about a "circle" oscillator?
A user can fill a single-cycle sample at each "full hour",
i.e. the sample at 3 oclock might be different from that of 9 o'clock.
The sound is derived from a pointer. The pointer is placed anywhere
in the circle. The distance to each of the slots determins the amount
slot contributes. The pointer can be modulated with a x- and a y-mod.
Use two lfos (sine and cosine) to go in a circle...
Slots might also have "contribution modes" like they can be found
in fathoms wt osc, I think the name is "Algorithm"?
Btw: I want the same circle-thing for sound sculpting...i.e.
each. position on the clock has a different fx...

Snap to zero crossing. Sample stretch algorithms. Adsr for each individual sample slice. If you can implement something like emu's z plane morphing filters...... Omg.

FathomSynth wrote:I will be starting design work shortly on the new Fathom Sampler.

This will be the sampler to end all samplers.

So this is your chance to make feature requests for how you want it to work.

Each sampler unit will have 6 screens

1. Oscillator controls.
2. Sample Layers.
3. Sample loop controls.
4. Sample editing window.
5. Sample wave table window.
6. Granular window.

1 will provide controls over the sample as an oscillator and will include all the existing oscillator dials.

2 will consist of several layers where each layer is a list of samples which can be automatically imported by folder with controls to apply each sample to MIDI note ranges, velocity ranges, pressure ranges, and user defined parameter ranges.

3 this is the main sample window with the sample playback settings, including speed, forward reverse, multiple loop points, envelope overlays, randomization of starting points and loops.

4 like the wave draw editing window except you can do real time playback in place editing of the sample with multiple edit modes such as point by point editing, wave draw editing, and bezier curve editing.

5 just like the wave table except each index position is a layer. This provides table morphing between entire layers.

6 a granular synthesis window using each sample as input.

It will also include a re-sampler where any audio unit or the entire instrument can be recorded and then used as a sample object.
This sounds very exciting! You have already listed just about everything I could want in a sampler! This coupled with Fathom's already excellent features will really make it a powerhouse.

Mik_lo wrote:Snap to zero crossing. Sample stretch algorithms. Adsr for each individual sample slice. If you can implement something like emu's z plane morphing filters...... Omg.
All this and also some special algorithms for loop editing and manipulation. Loop editing should have the window divided into two parts, where the lower part will present a zoomed waveform of the point where and how the loop end connects with the loop start, and ways to move the points in very precise, small movements. If possible, we should see (faded) the waveform up to the loop start (behind the loop end segment) and the waveform after the loop end (behind the loop start segment). This window part should have independent zoom controls (both horizontally and vertically).

The special loop algorithms I would like to see include those that were present in Antares Infinity, an old software (from the nineties) dedicated to loop editing, which remains unsurpassed even today, despite being discontinued for many years.

We also should have several options for cross-fading. I can elaborate more on this looping stuff if you want.
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Instruments”