Best Premium (paid) vst

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I know it seems a weird request, but I find online so many posts about the BEST FREE VSTs. Now, although free stuff is always welcome, I would like to know what are the top choices in pro studios. This is because I only found out about Keyscape by accident and I discovered is one of the most used and really outstanding.

I do know there are many factors involved and different studios will use different VSTs for a specific sound. Maybe you can help me identify the top three for:

1) Hammond (I just know the Arturia B3)
2) Strings (ensamble)
3) Brass (ensamble)
4) Horn solos (trumpet, sax, etc...)
5) Piano/El. Piano (Keyscape alternatives maybe)
6) Moog
7) If you wish to list other categories that might be of interest for other users, help yourself

Thank you very much
Last edited by ilwoody on Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Probably Komplete Ultimate, Omnispere, and the Arturia V Collection. Maybe some combination of those would get you everything you need except for the orchestral stuff. Good orchestral libraries alone could become a hefty high end investment.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Kontakt and some third party libraries

Much of this will likely fall under libraries for Kontakt instead of just straight VST. But this is what I consider the best:

1) Hammond- Blue3 by GG-Audio is fantastic, constantly being updated, and fits the bill
2) Strings- so many to choose from, but Berlin String, or maybe Cinematic Studio Strings are really high on the list and popular (for Kontakt)
3) Brass- I have heard Cinematic Studio Brass and it is awesome, but I own Adventure Brass and Trailer Brass which make it into my larger productions (for Kontakt) also EWQL Hollywood Brass is superb.
4) Horn solos- a lot of folks love the physical modelling stuff, but I think Chris Hein Brass is top notch. It also can double in the ensemble area (for Kontakt)
5) Piano/El. Piano- Wavesfactory Mercury is a lovely piano... but you might be covered with what you have. I also love LoungeLizard by AAS.
6) Moog- NI Monark is a beast. And u-he Diva would expand your horizons while capturing Moog goodness.
7) Other- Guitars- Orangetree is fabulous.
Last edited by JonSolo on Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ilwoody wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:15 pm I know it seems a weird request, but I find online so many posts about the BEST FREE VSTs.
You're looking in the wrong places then. :)

For Moog, my favorites are Monark and Diva. Really, Diva is about the same ballpark.(Jonsolo beat me to it :))

For the others, no idea. I'd say my favorite "premium" synthesizer plugin is Waldorf Largo. Really "premium" sound. :) And very versatile, with a big sweetspot. I think i can easily say i had the most fun playing with it. It's just nice.

ilwoody wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:15 pm 5) Piano/El. Piano (Keyscape alternatives maybe)
I will only answer this one because the answer is so clear to me: Moddart Pianoteq.
Fernando (FMR)

Blue3 by GG Audio is highly regarded. I use Vintage Organs by NI. I don't perform as a keyboardist, there are numerous different sounds, some of them are not Hammond.

Strings; strings is not one thing. This is a large can of worms to open up. IME, the best approach if you want a detailed score is almost always something VSL. Orchestral Tools Berlin is coming out with some new approaches, they do do one thing no one else does, and that is a 2-dimensional crossfade so you can have 4 keyswitches down with four articulations in an X/Y config., and if the prior note in the switch is held it doesn't unload it (so you can have a sustain x-fade into a tremolo; a slight extension of the VSL slot x-fade). The new interface takes this further, a new instrument. The VSL instrument provides vastly - I'm not exaggerating - more control. They have several different approaches. At this point they're pretty much all in with the Synchron Stage instrument, which is a mixing approach built in using this certain room and mic configurations. The Extended product gets you a lot of back to front - EDIT: and height! - in a mix.

Brass ensemble; what kind of brass? What kind of music? There is a big difference between styles. What has to be included?
A lot of good choices are out there. Again for the most control VSL, but VSL is very much not jazz in approach.

Horn solos, WarpIV music.

Acoustic grand piano, the Synchron Yamaha CFX by VSL.
Electric, which one? The Scarbee Classic EP 88s is pretty great for the Rhodes.

Moog, NI Monark will do ya.
Last edited by jancivil on Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ilwoody wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:15 pm 1) Hammond (I just know the Arturia B3)
5) Piano/El. Piano (Keyscape alternatives maybe)
1) GSI VB3-II
5) Ravenscroft 275

just saw this, this beats all for Hammond IME:

https://www.acousticsamples.net/B5

oh this should be fun reading what all the experts say.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Demo, demo, demo!

You’ll get other people’s opinions by just asking. Demo everything and make your own mind up
Sweet child in time...

Think most of these categories could be satisfied under Kontakt sample libraries, but I definitively won't go sounding like everyone else.
"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not too sure."
Checkout my blog: VST Plugins Free Download.

Hey look, more insults. :clap:

I agree with what a lot of folks have posted.

Strings and brass are very broad. I love Kirk Hunter Spotlight strings for solo though. Old but I still jam it.

Largo is deep with a big sweet spot.

The Legend is a fantastic Mini emulation. Diva and Monark are beasts too.

Biotek 2 can do things I might never fully understand... Ha!

Some great cheap / free and powerful stuff:

Fathom
HG Fortune synths
Synth1
Dexed
Omnisphere
etc. :wink:

Omnisphere cheap. Interesting.

Return to “Instruments”