What's the difference between Hive 2 and other such synths?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:26 pmBut I'd say that Hive 2.1 is very, very close to the sweet spot of "all you ever need", without tabs for groups or individual modules.
:tu: Ahem... a few more mod slots please

U-He synths are works of art- I can't say that about any other synths, just sayin

recursive one wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:37 pm here you go.

Tweak the modwheel, the sound will morph quite a bit.
thank you kindly :) it sounds 1000% psytrance

The main difference is in the letter a synth starts with.
Dune starts with D, Serum with S and Hive with H, I think, that's a quite big difference, isn't it?!
The best synths start with a letter at the start of alphabet, so most devs know where to place their products!
So Hive (H) should of course be better than Serum (S), H comes before S!
Synth names are no coincidence, but a dev's classification of his product.

DCrown wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:42 am The main difference is in the letter a synth starts with.
Dune starts with D, Serum with S and Hive with H, I think, that's a quite big difference, isn't it?!
The best synths start with a letter at the start of alphabet, so most devs know where to place their products!
So, what you're saying is that the best synth is Aalto and the worst is Z3ta+? Hmm...
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

DCrown wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:42 am The main difference is in the letter a synth starts with.
With Effects it's the same
Acon Digital is the best developer...

hive alone sounds better than most of the arturia synths in the vcollection.
hive contains many high quality factory presets.
hive -like pigments- can show you modulation signals in a clever way.
hive has an oscilloscope.
hive has a "scale" feature, when just the marked notes are relevant.
GUI is nice, has an alternative skin
and of corse hive has a great shape sequencer
etc
hive has been used in the new matrix movie, you can buy that soundset

I can't agree with that assessment overall, although Hive can't be beat when it comes to presets and preset management. But the sound isn't quite there for me and an oscilloscope does nothing to fix that. And whilst we are being serious, I'd suggest ANA-2, DS-Thorn, DUNE and Spire are all better buys than Hive.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:40 pm I can't agree with that assessment overall, although Hive can't be beat when it comes to presets and preset management. But the sound isn't quite there for me and an oscilloscope does nothing to fix that. And whilst we are being serious, I'd suggest ANA-2, DS-Thorn, DUNE and Spire are all better buys than Hive.
While Thorn and Spire sound sharper, I like how cold and digital Hive can sound. I also love Hive's dissonant and sideband filters!

Korg Supporter wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:30 am I also love Hive's dissonant and sideband filters!
Yup! The Sideband filter can do some wild stuff.

And all three (Comb Dissonant Reverb) can create some gorgeous tones!

Korg Supporter wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:30 amWhile Thorn and Spire sound sharper, I like how cold and digital Hive can sound.
I have no idea what those things even mean. It's certainly not any way in which I think of sounds.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:15 am
Korg Supporter wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:30 amWhile Thorn and Spire sound sharper, I like how cold and digital Hive can sound.
I have no idea what those things even mean. It's certainly not any way in which I think of sounds.
Harmonic content and bass/treble emphasis basically.

That still tells me nothing, especially as I can add and/or remove those things at will, just by adjusting the controls.

Just a wild thought, it doesn't really fit to Hive 2 mentality:

Since it is so resource efficient, what would stop developers to add more layers like they did in Dune?
I understand that the goal is to fit everything to one UI and have everything visible. But I personally think you get a better compromise if you put everything essential on one glance and then allow complex things to happen on deeper levels.

For example, if Hive had, let's say 4 layers of what's there today, it would all just be duplicates of what you have there. Not much new to understand. Except that you need to navigate, mix and copy to/from those layers.
Having more layers also doubles nicely as A/B functionality. You could make it A/B/C/D or more actually, all the same principle.

But personally: I can also do the layering in my DAW, where it's more flexible anyway. Only downside is that you cannot really store it in a patch in the synth itself. In DAWs like Bitwig you can also save your layered tracks as one clip.
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

BONES wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:40 pm I can't agree with that assessment overall, although Hive can't be beat when it comes to presets and preset management. But the sound isn't quite there for me and an oscilloscope does nothing to fix that. And whilst we are being serious, I'd suggest ANA-2, DS-Thorn, DUNE and Spire are all better buys than Hive.
those are all great, but ANA2 to me sounds dead. Like something basic i’d whip up in Max over the weeknd.
Just plain

Return to “Instruments”