u-he update of almost everything August 2021

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

J-Aro wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:31 am Of course, I just meant feature wise what offers more and would be better bang for your buck. More fact based and not my opinion etc.
Zebra has more features, whether you will use all of those features or prefer them over Hive's features is entirely subjective, which is why you should demo and or read the manuals. Or if you really believe that more features equals a better synth, then you should skip both Hive and Zebra and get UVI Falcon or Rapid instead, since they both cover more or less the same ground synthesis wise but also support samples/multi and granular.
Always Read the Manual!

The new modes in Hive should easily give you very aggressive timbres, throw some distortion on top and you get pretty whacky.
J-Aro wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:56 am Out of Hive2 and Zebra2, what should I pick? I'm stuck.
Not to sound cliche, but get both. On a more serious note, it sorta depends on how much you like subtractive sounds vs. FM & the rest. If you prioritize the former, get Hive. If you like to tinker and muck around with FM and the like, get Zebra. The oscillator voicing and the unison sound different on both, so they sound different enough to justify buying both.

Thanks, I was more thinking that a lack of features can make a synth worse synth rather than more features making a synth better. Like If they both can do the job but one is missing a basic feature found in 90 percent of Synths like maybe a mono/portamento/glide slider etc.

Dark Zebra.
Which gives you all three.
(Z2/DZ/Zebralette).
DZ also gives you Diva filters.
Add Podolski and Triple Cheese for free and you've got a great powerhouse of sound variables.
Just know the u-He GAS can be satisfied by it, but probably won't.

J-Aro wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:10 pm Thanks, I was more thinking that a lack of features can make a synth worse synth rather than more features making a synth better. Like If they both can do the job but one is missing a basic feature found in 90 percent of Synths like maybe a mono/portamento/glide slider etc.
Hive doesn't really lack any basic features, it's just less expansive and more focused on producing synth stuff in a straightforward fashion. One of its biggest merits is the swift workflow, something that's hard to quantify or put in words. Generally speaking, less options often means you simply create patches quicker and don't get distracted by synth's complexity. It's just better for you to demo the synth and see for yourself if you like it.

Zebra is a whole sonic playground so to speak. If you don't know what you're looking for and you're just getting into the synth action, I'd probably recommend Hive. Zebra is a beast, but you really need to have a solid grasp of the basics of synthesis in order to fully appreciate it.

crickey13 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:25 pm
Hive doesn't really lack any basic features, it's just less expansive and more focused on producing synth stuff in a straightforward fashion. One of its biggest merits is the swift workflow, something that's hard to quantify or put in words. Generally speaking, less options often means you simply create patches quicker and don't get distracted by synth's complexity. It's just better for you to demo the synth and see for yourself if you like it.
Unless you're using the Izmo skin which is complete nightmare if you are looking for simplicity.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

So by those last comments...
Hive lacks features compared to Zebra, just not the basic ones.

BBFG# wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:04 pm So by those last comments...
Hive lacks features compared to Zebra, just not the basic ones.
or rather

zebra has additional features ;)
neither is "lacking" just designed different.

crickey13 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:25 pm Hive doesn't really lack any basic features, it's just less expansive and more focused on producing synth stuff in a straightforward fashion. One of its biggest merits is the swift workflow, something that's hard to quantify or put in words. Generally speaking, less options often means you simply create patches quicker and don't get distracted by synth's complexity. It's just better for you to demo the synth and see for yourself if you like it.
I use Hive all the time, and I still find that it's mod matrix and LFOs are confusing. I can eventually get to where I want, but I would not personally consider this synth to be straightforward. After a lot of use, sure. But the same could be said of any synth.

I do, however, think it is easier to use than Zebra.

Return to “Instruments”