Korg is asking for your thoughts on a Mono/Poly Remake.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

D-Fusion wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:36 am I stumbled up on this on Korgs Facebook page asking about if you want a Re make of the Mono/Poly :hyper:

https://www.facebook.com/KORGusa/photos ... =3&theater
Sure, ill take one....

BONES wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:48 pm
aciddose wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:48 am They need to focus on modules (boxes) or rack-mounts and forget about miniaturization or cheesy little keyboards.
I hate modules. I'll happily pay considerably more form something with a keyboard, even a strange and/or tiny one.

I think mini versions make a lot of sense - they take up a lot less space and are more transportable. These things used to be huge because they needed to be huge but they don't need to be huge any more so why make them huge?
Now announcing the SKORG-BONES!!!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSKHcNy0hFQ
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

This is the perfect illustration of the problem that mini-keys have. They used to be horrible, unplayable even, and we all formed our opinions about them back then. But these days they are great. I don't even have a problem playing a full-size keyboard with one hand and mini-keys with the other. I find I can adapt pretty much instantly.

The weird thing I was thinking of is the keyboard on the Uno Synth, which I actually find is a lot of fun to use. I am keen to work out a solo or two I can play from it on stage. But it's the triggering of sound while you are working that I think is important. Yes, most of the time you will have it all racked up and connected but sometimes I like to just sit on the lounge with a synth in my lap and headphones but you can't do that with a module.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Kinda surprised I'm the only person here who'd love a Mono/Poly and would buy a new one ASAP.

BONES: I have no problem with a mini controller and I own a couple of them.

What I have a problem with is a synthesizer including a controller of crap quality. It makes more sense to sell these individually.

Sure, you could sell a controller that goes with your synthesizer and that might be awesome for people who don't already own controllers they use for 10 other synthesizers. I think you'd see a lot more sales of the synthesizer module (exactly as with a keyboard attached, just without one) than the crappy controller.

Would you argue "iphone will never become popular without a keyboard!"
BONES wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:55 pmYes, most of the time you will have it all racked up and connected but sometimes I like to just sit on the lounge with a synth in my lap and headphones but you can't do that with a module.
I do that all the time. All the synthesizers I've built myself are modules with the control panel but no keyboard. It makes them far more flexible!

Something like an sh-101 is already in this format, you just need to remove the keyboard and redesign some of the circuits to move the glide and keyboard functionality to apply to MIDI inputs.

A modern version of this type of module could include internally routable parameters anyway. For example if I want to route aftertouch to cutoff that should be possible and saved in a configuration preset. This is exactly how I design modules.

If I want to put on a VR headset and work by turning "virtual knobs" this would be possible with a well implemented module but impossible with an old 1980s throwback.

Nothing stops you from buying the matching controller and using the clip-on latches to connect the two into exactly what the 1980s version would have been.

For the rest of us though we also have the flexibility to never buy that controller and connect our laptop directly to use our VR controller and sequencers instead.
Last edited by aciddose on Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.

Nothing fundamentally wrong with Mono/Poly, its a great little synth.
Korg should put their resources in stead in re-planning the disasterous Arp Odyssey CPU consumption and GUI mouse use (moving from the one GUI site to another impossible, with the laptop (without the mousewheel). :-(

Harry_HH wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:54 am Nothing fundamentally wrong with Mono/Poly, its a great little synth.
Korg should put their resources in stead in re-planning the disasterous Arp Odyssey CPU consumption and GUI mouse use (moving from the one GUI site to another impossible, with the laptop (without the mousewheel). :-(
You're making the dangerous assumption that this was an entirely internal to Korg project and not merely distributed by them and authored by a third party or contractors.

This is why "big name brands" are a great thing. The customer has no clue.

Also get a wireless keyboard + mouse your QOL will improve by tenfold instantly over tiny laptop crap.

The Mono/Poly was/is a superb synth. I just wonder if the market is saturated already with so many monos that it may not be as popular as some think it is or should be (when released).

Personally, I'd love to see a new Korg synth, one that collects some of their classic design aspects into *one* useful synth. For example, even though the Mono/Poly packs a lot of sonic punch, I have so much fun with my Mini700 and its unique filter that I'd love to see it in a new synth. Add this filter to the Mono/Poly spec (in addition to the existing 24dB LPF). Then add a ring-modulator. Add an overdrive stage or two. Stuff like this. Of course, this would require a major design development which may not be financially viable, whereas the Mono/Poly spec is done and does not need any R&D.

But I'd probably buy one out of sheer nostalgia: I was in a keyboard shop back in the early 90s and they had a second-hand Mono/Poly for £30 sitting on the shelf...I was deliberating if I should buy it....I decided to come back the next day to get it and...it was gone by then ! Thirty quid..... :cry: :x :D
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

JCJR wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:29 pm The mono/poly was a rather pitiful excuse for a synth. But hey I thought the same of the MS-20 so what do I know? :)
Why do you think that? The Mono/Poly was one of the better featured monos, with some unique features: 4 oscillators (seldom seen in mono-land!), Hard-Sync, X-Mod, PWM, 4-note unison, arp that can work in the usual manner or cycle through 4 oscillators (unique!), chord mode, resonant 24dB LPF....it has so much and it sounded superb! I know some criticise its 'tame' filter' but in context of so much sonic power it hardly matters.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

aciddose wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:56 am
Harry_HH wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:54 am Nothing fundamentally wrong with Mono/Poly, its a great little synth.
You're making the dangerous assumption that this was an entirely internal to Korg project and not merely distributed by them and authored by a third party or contractors.

This is why "big name brands" are a great thing. The customer has no clue.

Also get a wireless keyboard + mouse your QOL will improve by tenfold instantly over tiny laptop crap.
No, I don't make any "dangerous assumption", the Odyssey is under the name of Korg, i.e. carry their brand name. Its like any product, which may be result of several (sub) contractors, but the brand owner is in charge of the final output, in good and bad.
And no, I won't buy any extra gadgets to get one of my 324 plugins GUI working. The whole idea of having a separate mobile setup DAW, in the side of my studio DAW, is - surprize surprize - being mobile, and minimize the things you carry with you.

Actually the final brand rarely owns the product. In fact "brands" like "korg" are often just that: "brands".

They are often not even a "big evil corporation with billions of employees". It might be ten guys in a garage in Mexico.

Re: "I don't buy ... for one plug-in"

You bought the plug-in though. I guess you earned your right to bitch about it now. Just not to me.

UltraPortamento wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:11 am Kinda surprised I'm the only person here who'd love a Mono/Poly and would buy a new one ASAP.
Well... with modern technology we could do much better than most of the Mono/Poly. The filter was good but that's more a filter module. Why not use it on guitar + envelope follower too?

Plenty of stuff like that already exists though so it wouldn't be much of a unique product. I'm just not sure there would be a huge demand for that kind of thing.

It might be a "break even" type of low profit project they could take on. Most of the slack in the market was taken up long ago though by very similar products. So the only thing they'd have is the brand recognition.

I wouldn't buy a new Mono/Poly just like I wouldn't pay the exorbitant prices for an old one.

I'd definitely consider a $300 "ms-20 mini" with digital routing (get rid of the patch bay, replace with a touch-screen), expanded modulation options (mix + scale using DACs for CVs, triggers, gates and switches). The analog oscillators + sync + ringmod + etc are important but mixing can be done via DAC-based scalers.

Problem is that's a hard price-point to meet: $1500 would be more reasonable.

I just wouldn't pay $1500.

aciddose wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:15 am Actually the final brand rarely owns the product. In fact "brands" like "korg" are often just that: "brands".

They are often not even a "big evil corporation with billions of employees". It might be ten guys in a garage in Mexico.

Re: "I don't buy ... for one plug-in"

You bought the plug-in though. I guess you earned your right to bitch about it now. Just not to me.
I didn't say anything about "owning" the product, you did.
I don't care who "owns" it, its Korg's name there, its Korg's site, Korg markets it, I paid to product to Korg's webshop, and Korg people are those who have replied to my questions. Its Korg's business, to whom they possibly forward my wishes, who does the coding, etc, as far as they take care, that all is done to fix these awful bugs in the Odyssey. Right?

I didn't say anything such as 'big evil corporation", you did (you refer yourself, and blame other for these statements).

And finally, I' m not "bitching" anything. My critique is most justifiable, well argumented, and civilized - as always. The one bitch here is you. :tu:

It might be impossible for them to do anything about it.

That's the part I think you don't understand about what I said.

Also you're making this statement:
Its Korg's business, to whom they possibly forward my wishes, who does the coding, etc, as far as they take care, that all is done to fix these awful bugs in the Odyssey.
Bugs? The ones you bought? I hope your license agreement included a "after you pay us you have the right to claim anything you decide you don't like about the product is a bug, and you may complain as much as you like without need for considering facts or making valid arguments."

Customer satisfaction yes, perhaps you might have a point if you hadn't already handed them your money. I'd say they're very unlikely to be obligated to satisfy you or do anything to solve your problems with their product though.
bitch/biCH/
verb

express displeasure; grumble.
Harry_HH wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:03 am And finally, I' m not "bitching" anything. My critique is most justifiable, well argumented, and civilized - as always. The one bitch here is you. :tu:
Would it be rude of me to serenade you Madam?

aciddose wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:15 am It might be impossible for them to do anything about it.

That's the part I think you don't understand about what I said.

Also you're making this statement:
Its Korg's business, to whom they possibly forward my wishes, who does the coding, etc, as far as they take care, that all is done to fix these awful bugs in the Odyssey.
Bugs? The ones you bought? I hope your license agreement included a "after you pay us you have the right to claim anything you decide you don't like about the product is a bug, and you may complain as much as you like without need for considering facts or making valid arguments."

Customer satisfaction yes, perhaps you might have a point if you hadn't already handed them your money. I'd say they're very unlikely to be obligated to satisfy you or do anything to solve your problems with their product though.
You are wrong, again. You seem to be a person, who puts your own, stupid words, other peoples mouth.
Of course the fix might be difficult, impossible - not likely.
But it may be very easy to implement, as well.
I don't know, but nor do you. Why you try to be a besserwisser, with that IQ? Or are you just trolling - in that case, have fun. :party:

The bottom line is:
1. There is some terrible bad programming in the Odyssey, which shows up especially in some DAWs. And the GUI doesn't work in most laptops.
2. For the developer, the end user feedback is most valuable information, and I'm doing my part by giving it. :phones:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”