Help me choose my first polyphonic synth.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BertKoor wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:01 am You have a long list. Homework well done.

Now make the list shorter. I would usually recommend to visit a shop that sells these, and have a play. Then go home with the one you fell in love with.

Alas in these times it's difficult. Can you buy 4 and return 3?
Thanks for the advice, but the problem is that where I live there are not synth stores, I have to order online.

AnX wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:27 am if you are only using it in your studio/home, i would buy a decent controller and a few great vst synths
Thanks for the reply but I'm kind of tired of the computer, have been making and mixing music with a mouse and keyboard for a long time. I want some gear.

chk071 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:38 am Just realized that I didn't read far enough.
Tino Fiumara wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:13 pm PD: Not a fan of Behringer gear.
Well, that's a shame. Don't think it gets any better than that, in terms of price/performance ratio.
I have had bad experiences with Behringer gear in the past, not synths, audio technology gear, so I don't trust their build quality too much. Still, I appreciate your recommendation, thank you.

Distorted Horizon wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:41 am I'd say go with the digital.. More versatile and you already have an analog synth.

Though with that budget, you could buy Blofeld desktop AND Deepmind 6.
I'm going to think about it, thank you.

Septimon wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:54 am Korg Prologue!
I own the Minilogue and absolutely love it.
very versatile, one knob per function, Great Sound.
The Prologue is Even More versatile since you can load Third party oscillators and FX.
Not sure how Important aftertouch is for you.
Aftertouch is not too important, the Prologue is still one of my top options. Thanks for your opinion.

Distorted Horizon wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:06 pm But the idea is still the same. IMO the question is more like "should I spend 1500€ + to an analog polysynth or should I buy cheaper digital synth, analog polysynth (with lesser polyphony) and a midi keyboard".

And IMO the latter. Of course tossing 1500+ euros will bring you money worth of quality analog poly, like korg prologue 16. Will serve you for the next 20+ years.
But you'll miss some flavors sooner or later and will buy a digital synth anyways, for wavetable stuff. Or maybe yamaha modx7 for general all around workstation.
In reality I would like to have both, digital and analog synths, but right now I just can afford one poly, and I need a good one to work with it for a long time.

BertKoor wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:37 pm Get the fattest Prophet you can.
They are very tentative, classic brand, good quality synths.

If getting away from a computer is important in this decision, I recommend that you don't choose menu diving synths. A lot of the suggestions you've received so far have an awful lot of menu parameter levels to get through. I'd try to stick with something that has a lot of panel control with the options being tweak stuff and not main controller stuff.

If it hasn't been suggested yet, I'd be looking closely at an AMS Hydra if I were in your shoes.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Get a vintage synth. Better investment and of course arguably will sound better.
Personally, I rather have any "lower end" vintage synths than any of the new synths from Behringer to Dave Smith.
For $1500 you could get a combination of things like Kong DW 8000 , Poly Six , Poly 61 , Roland Juno 6, 106, JX 3P , Ensoniq ESQ 1, Sequential Prophet 600.

none of which have 8+ polyphony, as required in the OP

Tino Fiumara wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:49 pm
Distorted Horizon wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:06 pm But the idea is still the same. IMO the question is more like "should I spend 1500€ + to an analog polysynth or should I buy cheaper digital synth, analog polysynth (with lesser polyphony) and a midi keyboard".

And IMO the latter. Of course tossing 1500+ euros will bring you money worth of quality analog poly, like korg prologue 16. Will serve you for the next 20+ years.
But you'll miss some flavors sooner or later and will buy a digital synth anyways, for wavetable stuff. Or maybe yamaha modx7 for general all around workstation.
In reality I would like to have both, digital and analog synths, but right now I just can afford one poly, and I need a good one to work with it for a long time.
Basically it's an easy answer then too.. IF Blofeld is enough of digital bliss for you, it's so cheap that you could grab the analog poly now and Blo a bit later. Or Blo now and have some time to think which analog poly to get.
But someone earlier had a good point, you might want to avoid menu diving synths, and Blo is exactly that.

So instead of rational thinking, what does your heart say? Mine says "if I had 1500€ or more, I'd grab the best analog poly I can get :lol:

AnX wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:06 am none of which have 8+ polyphony, as required in the OP
ESQ 1 + DW800 are both 8 polyphony. For that budget he could make a combination of two and have 8+ .

assuming the vintage gear is in mint condition and doesn't require money spent on it.

im surprised the Virus Ti hasn't been recommended

AnX wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:03 am im surprised the Virus Ti hasn't been recommended
Doesn't fit in the price range. Well maybe as used but Virus Ti2 desktop new is around 1800€ which is a bit more than 1500€.
And for 1800€ he could buy for example fore mentioned Korg Prologue 16 AND Blofeld.

Distorted Horizon wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:25 am So instead of rational thinking, what does your heart say? Mine says "if I had 1500€ or more, I'd grab the best analog poly I can get :lol:
That said, the combination of these is very tempting

https://www.thomann.de/fi/asm_hydrasynt ... cf040cc504
https://www.thomann.de/fi/novation_49sl_mkiii.htm

I think I'll leave this thread in peace before I destroy my credit card balance with stuff I can't afford right now :dog:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”