Korg Opsix 2.0

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

graverubber wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:56 pm Anyone else having issues where the synth will freeze/crash?
2.0 CRASHES THE WHOLE TIME !!! HOLY F.

Yes. It crashed all the time, i wish to go back to 1.0 but i really coulnt find a way to do it. It crashed when editing patches, when changing voices, when doing motion sequence....it's terrible.

Hmmmm, I upgraded to 2.0 yesterday but TBH I haven't really tested it out that much - mostly I was tweaking it before I upgraded. Shall look tomorrow. I guess there's always the option of going back to previous firmware.

"Yes. It crashed all the time, i wish to go back to 1.0 but i really coulnt find a way to do it."
Can't say for sure but I do know that Wavestate has previous versions still available - on the v2.0.1 link theres one for "older versions" which look like they go back to v1.0 - there were 3 or 4 versions in there that I didn't even know existed. There will likely be the same on the Opsix page - though I didn't specifically look.

Looks like Korg at least are still very active with fixes - there have been several for Wavestate and I'd imagine they won't want to leave Opsix crashing - Korg are pretty good with that stuff (at least with h/w - not quite so active with s/w).

Hmmmmm - went back and checked out the Korg site - no v1 available for d/l for Opsix. Damn!

I can't get to my studio today but will tomorrow and check out if it crashes etc. I suppose anyone that gets crashes - contact Korg support. The more people let them know they stuffed up v2 the quicker they're likely to fix it. :? (hopefully)

Bit of a pisser, as my first impression of Opsix have very much been "Wow!" I had a go through all of the v2 presets and tweaked them with no crashes but I didn't really delve that deep.

My opsix came this week. I opted for the hardware version instead of the newly released software. And I'm glad I did! I really like how immediate and accessible everything is on the synth. I am pretty much a FM rookie. I stayed away from programming FM synths for years. But this synth is so easy to use. And it seems to be more than just straight FM. It's such a simple layout that I am surprised it hasn't been done (this way) before. Kudos to Korg!

I've only had it for a few days but I spent about 3 hours last night with my headphones attached to it in bed programming sounds. My initial impressions are very positive. I found a few gems in the additional 100 presets that come with the update. Today I plan on taking a deep dive into the mods & fx. In particular I want to see how far the virtual patchbay will take me.

I have only two minor issues that are more like requests. I wish it was bi/multi-timbral and I wish the sequencer was more than 16 steps. That's it really. I found it easy to update (v/2.0.1) and I found it easy to get up and running. Haven't opened the manual or quick start guide yet. The whole layout is pretty self-explanatory.

Also, I don't know if I'll get the vst, still undecided.

Yeah...it's so simple and obvious how to program, far more than any other FM synth I can think of, but has real depth to it. Compared to the old Yamaha way of doing FM it's a breath of fresh air IMO.

This will be my next HW synth after using the plugin, love the sounds I'm getting out of it,but now feel the HW would make it a much better experience.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Moog Matriarch/Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/DM12
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

Considering the issues with the plugin, yeah the hw is nice. Very easy to drastically change the sounds with just the knobs and sliders, depending on how you set up the parameter. That's one of the things that really attracted me to the Opsix - so accessible on the front. It's very hands-on for a digital synth.

Purchased the HW last night, looking forward to programming it. Compared to the Yamaha Fm synths I've owned in the past, it looks like programming will be a breeze on the OPsix. I'm really glad Korg released the Vst best of both worlds.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Moog Matriarch/Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/DM12
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

Enjoy. You'll find it a blast. TBH I'm falling in love with Korg all over again (never really went out of love). They've been releasing some superb gear the last few years and IMO one of the best synth companies. Opsix, Wavestate, even though I don't like wavetables Modwave looks good for those that do. Then their analogue stuff...I'll be buying a Minilogue XD next on my list, almost bought a Prologue - the filters are as gnarly and characterful as their old MS series in a modern way. Even some of the Volca thingies look tempting. But I think they really shine in the novel digital synths they're bringing out, bringing something new to the table rather than simple rehashing of old ideas. And they're so well designed - the layout on especially their digital hw is the gold standard IMO. It blows me away how they can make something like FM so obvious and easy...it's kinda obvious what they did after the fact but nevertheless nobody else managed it.

I think I like tweaking my Opsix as much as I do my analogues - and that takes some doing.

kritikon wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:24 pm ... a Minilogue XD next on my list, ...
I had one (XDM) and really liked it as well. I agree that Korg is really making an effort to make something that's not the same old thing.

Korg, if you are listening, that Drumologue would look nice between my opsix and Wavestate. just sayin... :D

Well, last month I got Flow Motion for next to nothing because Waves had a big sale and it seems like it provides all the FM abilities you would ever want.
There is no reason to buy any hardware for FM synthesis, it is a digital process!
I know there are some workflow considerations, but that is why you adapt.

Constructed Identity wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:07 am There is no reason to buy any hardware for FM synthesis,...
in your opinion...

Constructed Identity wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:07 am Well, last month I got Flow Motion for next to nothing because Waves had a big sale and it seems like it provides all the FM abilities you would ever want.
There is no reason to buy any hardware for FM synthesis, it is a digital process!
I know there are some workflow considerations, but that is why you adapt.
There are a shitload of reasons. The main one being I f**king hate working with software synths on a mouse with an absolute passion. And it ends there. I can buy 3 or 4 plugins for every hw synth I buy but hey, I simply don't want them and likely never will. Doesn't mean I don't use plugins where it gives me some advantages etc but for every reason you name for preferring s/w over h/w I can give you a reason for preferring hw over sw. It's one of those silly arguments that Bones gets into and I simply dunno why people even suggest it...you have your preferences, we have ours. I can do exactly the same thing on a plugin Opsix as I can with a hw Opsix. I have both. I mostly prefer using the hw one. Why do you even want to start such a puerile argument?

Just had a quick look at Flow Motion. Looks OK and with some very nice features but nothing whatsoever like Opsix. 2 very different beasts. I don't see anything even remotely like the FX operators that Opsix has. I hope you enjoy using it. I know I wouldn't.

1. When I bought Opsix it was hw or nothing. No other option.
2. Now I have both hw and sw of the same thing. I would still buy the hw Opsix again.
3. Waves...nuff said. I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire. Actually, I would but I'd try to piss something flammable on them if I could.

kritikon wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:49 am 3. Waves...nuff said. I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire. Actually, I would but I'd try to piss something flammable on them if I could.
:lol:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”