Crossover 3-Way - Troubles using it at samplerates higher than 44.1 kHz ?

Official support for: rs-met.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I've been using Crossover 3-Way for a while at 44.1 kHz samplerate in Console. I use it as a crossover for my main / sub and it works perfectly. Nothing to say except "thank you Mr Schmidt !".

Trying a different software configuration, I'm currently oversampling to 88.2 kHz and I'm experiencing some problems with crossover frequencies. Indeed, when I multiply the samplerate by 2, I observe that the effective crossover frequency is also multiplied by 2 although I don't change the 3-Way's configuration. The same applies with 96 kHz samplerates and is independant on crossover slopes.

So, the question is : Do you think it's a bug coming from Console's samplerate management or coming from the VST plugin ? If the second option is the right one, can you fix it ?

Thanks in advance for your answer,

Kind regards,

ckl.kookus.

ckl.kookus wrote:So, the question is : Do you think it's a bug coming from Console's samplerate management or coming from the VST plugin ? If the second option is the right one, can you fix it ?
Hi,

yes - i just checked and have to admit: this is my bug. i will fix it as as soon as possible and post here when it's done. thanks for the report and the kind words.
My website: rs-met.com, My presences on: YouTube, GitHub, Facebook

OK, thank you for the answer and for your efforts to provide us useful VST software !

ckl.kookus

Hi !

What's up since my last message ?

Any solution related to the problem raised above ?

ckl.kookus

oh, yes - i hope i've fixed it:

www.rs-met.com/software/betas/CrossOver3WayBeta.zip

i actually did the fix quite some time ago but there's a lot of other stuff currently changing in my codebase which is why i was hesitant to upload it. and which is why i declare this as beta. it seems that the cpu usage also went higher. i will see how to bring it down where it was again.

Robin from www.rs-met.com wrote:it seems that the cpu usage also went higher. i will see how to bring it down where it was again.
done. it's now even a bit lower then before. here it is:

www.rs-met.com/software/betas/CrossOver.zip

i also overhauled the internal structure a bit which makes it now possible to have at most 4 bands. and the GUI has now some background colouring that better visually separates the bands in the frequency-response plot.

unfortunately, however, i also discovered a design problem in the dsp-part which is discussed here:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=278736

Hi,

Thanks for the efforts. I'll try the new 'beta' version tonight. Last weeks were just a little bit busy for me.

I think I'm not concerned by the design problem related since I'm just using the plugin as a 2-way crossover ... Good luck anyway :)

ckl.kookus

Hi again,

I did some quick tests with the proposed versions of plugins.

The first version seems to work properly at 44.1 kHz and at 88.2 kHz in 2way mode. On my config, CPU Usage for the plug increased from 1% to 2% with this new version, nothing dramatic. Nice ;)

The second version (which implements 4way crossover) was just tried at 44.1kHz in 2way mode. I experienced some harsh noise in the upper of the spectrum and had to stop before crushing my ears and my tweeters :-o. To test it, I used the preset 2Bands_300_Slope_24.xml and changed the crossover frequency to 63 hz.

Ouch !

ckl.kookus wrote:Hi again,

I did some quick tests with the proposed versions of plugins.

The first version seems to work properly at 44.1 kHz and at 88.2 kHz in 2way mode. On my config, CPU Usage for the plug increased from 1% to 2% with this new version, nothing dramatic. Nice ;)

The second version (which implements 4way crossover) was just tried at 44.1kHz in 2way mode. I experienced some harsh noise in the upper of the spectrum and had to stop before crushing my ears and my tweeters :-o. To test it, I used the preset 2Bands_300_Slope_24.xml and changed the crossover frequency to 63 hz.

Ouch !
Ouch indeed. well, then it's probably better to stick to the first version for now. i'm currently addressing the allpass-compensation stuff (which is relevant only for more than 2 bands), therefore a lot of code is currently subject to change. but i'll have an eye on your test-case when i'm done.

O.K. i think, i'm done with the allpass-compensation filters. link is the the same as before:

www.rs-met.com/software/betas/CrossOver.zip

it should now sum flat for all configurations.

as for the noise: i tried to reproduce it: 44.1 kHz, load the respective preset, change crossover freq to 63 - but nothing strange happened. not even with the former version. is/was it reproducible in your setup? if so, what is your setup?

Hi !

I removed the former version from my computer so I was unable to test it again. But I tried the new one ... and it's worst !

Indeed, the new version make my console to crash when I switch on everything ! This happens even with the default configuration at 44.1 kHz.

A picture of my setup follows :

Main plugs are : iZotope Ozone 4, Voxengo Span, Nugen Lineup, Sonalksis Free Gain. Console is in version 1.6.2 beta. Soundcard is RME Fireface 800.

Let me now if you want further details on my conf.

ckl.kookus wrote:Hi !

I removed the former version from my computer so I was unable to test it again. But I tried the new one ... and it's worst !

Indeed, the new version make my console to crash when I switch on everything ! This happens even with the default configuration at 44.1 kHz.
uh oh, bad news. but looking at your screenshot i may now have a hunch: maybe it's a conflict between the old version and the new. the old version had only 3 output pairs whereas the new has 4, accounting for the new possibility to split to 4 bands. also in your screenshot, i read in most of the places 'Crossover3Way' whereas the new version was renamed to just CrossOver. do you still have the old version installed somewhere? and if not, it might also be that loading a setup/project which had used the old version may fail when only the new version is available. i think, i broke backwards-compatibility with introducing a 4th output pair (and maybe also via renaming), so it could be necessary to start out fresh with a blank sheet of paper when switching to the new version. the first beta also had 3 output-pairs, which may be the explanation why it worked in this case. mmmhh. i really hope we can get this sorted out.

The previous sceenshot represents a configuration which is working properly, eg with Crossover3Way beta (first link above).

When I tried the new version "Crossover", I kept both versions inside my VST plug folder ... but unfortunately, working only with the new one is not yet satisfactory.

My last test (screenshot took just after joining CrossOver plug channel 1 to ASIO out) :
1/ Removed all old plugs from the VST folder.
2/ Placed the new "CrossOver" plug inside the VST folder.
3/ Re-loaded (rescan) plugs in Console.
4/ Started from scratch a new projet in Console.
5/ Created a minimalistic setup with ASIO In, ASIO Out and CrossOver

... the result :
:cry: :cry: :cry:

It seems your explanation was not the right one ... sorry :wink:

ckl.kookus wrote: :cry: :cry: :cry:

It seems your explanation was not the right one ... sorry :wink:
why :cry: ? that's actually good news, isn't it? ...for me, at least. :phew:

Return to “rs-met”