What am I doing wrong? - Succession DND and DND WT

Official support for: hgsounds.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If i use Succession FM or Succession Pro which have the sample banks built in, I get amazing rich beautiful sounds but when I load my own using DND or WT, the sounds are tinny and low volume and seem undifferentiated. I've tried different banks of sound from different sound packs and its the case for all of them. The sounds are super well recorded with lots of volume and clarity. Most are .wav files. Note length is set to 100.

I know I must be doing something wrong or missing something obvious so any guesses greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Greg

I would be curious if someone has had the chance to give this a try yet.

I just loaded five sample banks with HGS WAV files from previous group buys---Evolver(s) 1-4 and A4 Vols. 1 & 2 (the A4 folders contain each contain the exact amount of files for a Sample Manager bank). Everything seems to be working fine. I did try a number of WAVs from a Zero-G library and got a strange result: When mouse-triggered from the on-screen Kontakt keyboard the played with a muted volume but when played via a controller or the QWERTY keyboard they sounded normally. I haven't downloaded the most recent update yet but here are some things I noticed with the original version of Succession DND:
(1) Sample Manager loads and unloads (clears) files one-by-one, so there's not much sense in creating a a blank file for quick erasures/clears
(2) FWIW: When you drag-and-drop a block of files onto the Sample Manager, they start loading with the file the mouse pointer is dragging (not the first file in the selected block), with wrap-around (i.e., if you selected a block of files xxx001.wav to xxx008.wav and dragged the block to Sample Manager by file xxx005.wav, they would be loaded into Sample Manager from 005 to 008, then from 001 to 004).
(3) I hope that Sample Manager banks can be interchangeably implemented for other HGS instruments.
(4) Succession is yet another amazing critter from HGS.

Paj
8^)

PajKVR wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:03 am I just loaded five sample banks with HGS WAV files from previous group buys---Evolver(s) 1-4 and A4 Vols. 1 & 2 (the A4 folders contain each contain the exact amount of files for a Sample Manager bank). Everything seems to be working fine. I did try a number of WAVs from a Zero-G library and got a strange result: When mouse-triggered from the on-screen Kontakt keyboard the played with a muted volume but when played via a controller or the QWERTY keyboard they sounded normally. I haven't downloaded the most recent update yet but here are some things I noticed with the original version of Succession DND:
(1) Sample Manager loads and unloads (clears) files one-by-one, so there's not much sense in creating a a blank file for quick erasures/clears
(2) FWIW: When you drag-and-drop a block of files onto the Sample Manager, they start loading with the file the mouse pointer is dragging (not the first file in the selected block), with wrap-around (i.e., if you selected a block of files xxx001.wav to xxx008.wav and dragged the block to Sample Manager by file xxx005.wav, they would be loaded into Sample Manager from 005 to 008, then from 001 to 004).
(3) I hope that Sample Manager banks can be interchangeably implemented for other HGS instruments.
(4) Succession is yet another amazing critter from HGS.

Paj
8^)
very interesting, thanks! yes on (3) and big yes on (4)!

Would most welcome some kind of bank management! Hmmm, I'm still in the dark about my samples seeming flaccid, but this helps to know you are not having the same issue. Probably in the samples I'm using or some default setting I'm not aware of.

Try:
(1) A fully loaded (0-126) Sample Manager bank, loaded with samples that generally don't have a slow/delayed attack. Don't forget to save the bank for yourself. Then . . .
(2) . . . Load a preset from the main tab/page of the GUI (just to be sure the settings will produce a sounding sequence that worked for someone else)
(3) For the DND version, the blue keys right above the red keys will probably produce the the easiest sounds to judge. I think that the WT version produces re-pitched and time-stretched sounds (pitch changes but the sounding length ["groove"] of the sample stays constant), much like the "stretch" or "spread" functions you see in some Sample Logic and 8DIO libraries. I may be confused about this. The highest and lowest extremes can test limits either way.
(4) Sample Manager also loads ncw files so you can try samples from other HGS libraries you have. If Succession DND is your first, you can download Kosmology Freefall for free (recommended in any event) and there are enough ncw samples included to fully populate almost three Project Manager banks

I did play with DND Beta and WT last night. My first impression was that Sample Manager loaded faster---but that can be entirely dependent on the samples themselves. I like the time stretching inclusion of the WT version. I was starting to build PM (Project Manager) banks with samples from the HG 2010 Complete Collection (a bonus from the very first HGS Group Buy---a gift that still keeps on giving) but now that the ncw capability hit home, the possibilities could get mind-boggling for new approaches to my orchestral/instrumental libraries.

So many samples, so little time!

Paj
8^)
Last edited by PajKVR on Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PajKVR wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:23 am Try:
(1) A fully loaded (0-126) Sample Manager bank, loaded with samples that generally don't have a slow/delayed attack. Don't forget to save the bank for yourself. Then . . .
(2) . . . Load a preset from the main tab/page of the GUI (just to be sure the settings will produce a sounding sequence that worked for someone else)
(3) For the DND version, the blue keys right above the red keys will probably produce the the easiest sounds to judge. The WT version produces re-pitched and time-stretched sounds (pitch changes but the sounding length ["groove"] of the sample stays constant), much like the "stretch" or "spread" functions you see in some Sample Logic and 8DIO libraries. The highest and lowest extremes can test limits either way.
(4) Sample Manager also loads ncw files so you can try samples from other HGS libraries you have. If Succession DND is your first, you can download Kosmology Freefall for free (recommended in any event) and there are enough ncw samples included to fully populate almost three Project Manager banks

I did play with DND Beta and WT last night. My first impression was that Sample Manager loaded faster---but that can be entirely dependent on the samples themselves. I like the time stretching inclusion of the WT version. I was starting to build PM (Project Manager) banks with samples from the HG 2010 Complete Collection (a bonus from the very first HGS Group Buy---a gift that still keeps on giving) but now that the ncw capability hit home, the possibilities could get mind-boggling for new approaches to my orchestral/instrumental libraries.

So many samples, so little time!

Paj
8^)
This is SO helpful! going to print it out and have it nearby! Much appreciated. Makes me think that I had a lot of sample with slow attack.

I love this instrument so much, defiantly one of my favorite HGSounds. Thing is I also love so many others of Andy's too. I need more time and longer life to indulge properly!

I had to reconsider and edit my statements in (3). Maybe Andy could/will clarify this, either here or in the eventual manual. The more I listen . . .

Paj
8^)

The capability of d/d ncw from other libs makes this all the more interesting if I understand correctly.
Is Succession D+D suited mainly for loops or one shots or...?
Is there a size limitation for the dragged file? I wonder if adjustable start/end points could be built into the library, or is that already present?

The Kosmology Freefall ncw files work really well but I haven't had much luck with orchestral files so far (I just tried some oboe files from Alpine Project and some string ensemble files from 8DIO). It looks like a lot of sample curation might be necessary---even inordinate. It probably shouldn't come as a surprise that the Kosmology samples work well with Succession---wave sequencing was a feature of Kosmology, and Succession seems more and more to me to be a double-down-plus successor (pun intended) to Kosmology.

"Not that there's anything wrong with that!"
---Jerry Seinfeld, George Costanza

Paj
8^)

Has anyone heard anything from Andy lately? Curious how he's getting along.

Two months ago he seemed pretty well, just quiet these days and working, I think.

Return to “Homegrown Sounds”