Loomer Architect: A modular MIDI toolkit

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mevla wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:29 pm How would you use Architect within your workflow ?
Let me take a stab at this...

A quick example of a function that I will try to do first if it does not already exist is a chord splitter. By this I mean that I would like to send a chord to a module and have it split the notes up and send them out to distinct channels. And I want that function to handle the note count (3-note or 7 note chords) and the note-offs efficiently. Sounds simple and maybe it is. The next step for me is the ability to build some functions inside that module that would make decisions as to what notes go to what channels based on many different factors.

I want to try this before I say anything but looks great.
I asked before if you could transform notes in a finished polyphonic sequence to different midi channels and you answered yes you could split them in different ways. But I also wonder can you select notes one by one then change them to a different midi channel and still have them shown in the same window or do you need to split them to different sequencer windows?

Well I guess I find out soon enough.

What I personally want to do with Architekt first is exploring generative structures that react to me playing or that can somehow be played.
I wrote generative generators in Processing and other tools before but never went into really "interactive" areas there. I also created my "Midi Mangler" in Reaktor and Falcon, but that also is more a "passive" change to incoming notes based on probability, since in the past I was mostly interested in things that run on their own and me mostly working on parameters until something interesting emerged.

These days, I am more interested in being part of the process, so I could imagine a structure that reacts to me playing acoustic guitar which I translate to Midi via Midi Guitar from Jam Origin in realtime. From there, I'd love to explore ways where the generative structure adds additional layers to what I play.

Since my graphical work is also in the area of creating structures with nodes and code (in SideFX Houdini) and finding beauty in there, Architekt could be the equivalent in the music world.

That at least is my hope :-)

Cheers,

Tom

P.S. The image makes for a great desktop background BTW. Merry Christmas! :-)
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

And it's for Linux too. :love:

Sweet. I'm already hiding cash where my wife can't find it.

Best,

dp

ThomasHelzle wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:11 pm ...to explore ways where the generative structure adds additional layers to what I play.
This.

Can't wait :) :party:

ThomasHelzle wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:11 pmI am more interested in being part of the process, so I could imagine a structure that reacts to me playing acoustic guitar which I translate to Midi via Midi Guitar from Jam Origin in realtime.
George Lewis’ Voyager software:

http://eamusic.dartmouth.edu/~larry/alg ... _notes.pdf

Good luck!
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net

This beast is a "Keykit on steroids" (https://nosuch.com/keykit/features.html)! Midi Phrases algorithmic manipulation should be a natural task for Architect.

Are there any physics based modules? (eg like the bouncing ball XY controller in Usine)

aMUSEd wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:41 pm Are there any physics based modules? (eg like the bouncing ball XY controller in Usine)
It will not happen but it would be nice if the Hollyhock 3 modules could be used in Architect!
Hey is Architect multi-touch capable?

Too bad Hollyhock 3 is only a standalone and not a VST!

Well, creating such a basic "physics" simulation is rather trivial. I don't know anything about the graphical side of Architekt and if it allows fancy things like Usine there, but otherwise it should be very simple to do.
A "user library" like that of Reaktor will sure be populated fast with interesting things :-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

For me the graphical side of Usine is too much, I find it overwhelming. I think I am at a stage where I'd rather construct a parametric process than draw a trajectory...

I do hope Architect has some sophisticated humanise and randomise modules built in. There is a drum sequencer called Archibald from years ago that to this day has not been equaled in its randomisation sophistication and therefore realism..I'm hoping Architect might be able to recreate it.

Wow this looks great.

colin@loomer wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:52 pmArchitect will be available to purchase shortly afterwards for £140...
Will that be £140 +vat? I notice that all the other products on your site are priced minus vat. I'll probably buy it either way, but it would be helpful to know.
γνῶθι σαὐτόν

Note to Colin concerning first image of this thread.

'There' indicates a place. 'Their' is the possessive of 'They'. Therefore, 'Help' caption should read:

"...their keys will be matched with the previous..."

And not to nitpick, but:

"Both run simultaneously ,so feel free to combine linear arrangements with improved session work."

Should be either 'improv'd' or "improvised' (unless you actually mean 'improved' as in 'better' ;-))

I will be keeping an eye out for the beta release :)
Chris R Gibson ( a.k.a. Loopy C )
https://soundcloud.com/loopy-c

Return to “Loomer”