New Music Lab Machine available ... Shangri-La

Archived support for: hollowsun.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hollowsun wrote:.

But their programmers (it seems) took it upon themselves to tweak ((ahem) 'improve') things .... and broke something in the process! :roll:
Well, progress is getting things to work as well as they used to.

Hmmm!

If it ain't broke and all that!

I have had to withdraw Shangri La for now. Everything else is ok - it's just this new one. Odd!

All those early adopters who jumped on it and bought have been taken care of. Thanks to them and apologies for the inconvenience.

I'm away next week - HS Towers' annual leave - Shangri La will back up and running after that and the problem is resolved.

A shame that but there ya go - the way it goes sometimes, I suppose. :?

Cheers,

Stephen

After all the woes, they have been fixed and Shangri La is now officially available... at last!

Apologies for any inconvenience.

Cheers,

Stephen

I have been playing with it for awhile and it has lot's of possibilities. I like how you can assign each bowl to a different key with its own parameters. And the Distorter can add some nice grundge to otherwise pristine sounds.

One thing I noticed I cannot get Midi CC# assign to work. It works on the other MLM instruments and it says in the Shangri-la manual you can assign them but when I right click on a dial no Midi cc# dialogue box appears. I am using in Sonar 7.

Bobbotov wrote:I have been playing with it for awhile and it has lot's of possibilities. I like how you can assign each bowl to a different key with its own parameters.
Actually, that's not quite true!

What I think you meant to say is that each key (and hence sample) is individually and independently editable.
Bobbotov wrote:One thing I noticed I cannot get Midi CC# assign to work. It works on the other MLM instruments and it says in the Shangri-la manual you can assign them but when I right click on a dial no Midi cc# dialogue box appears. I am using in Sonar 7.
It's because the main CONTROL PANEL is multiplexed because of the ability to edit each note/sample independently. So it's not just a control panel as such but 61 separate control panels, one for each sample. It's described in the manual.

But I'd like to take this opportunity, if I may, to bring attention to the tracks you have created using only the MLMs which you have posted to SoundCloud...

MLM Suite

Uses four MLM synths: Oscillosine, Triosc, Technotron and Shangri-la.

TriOsc 1

TriOsc 2

From our private email exchanges, I have learnt that you were dabbling with early electronica in its infancy way back when and received encouragement from none other than Vladimir Ussachevsky who saw promise in your work back then. And I can see - or hear - why ... those pieces you've made with the MLMs are, IMO, outstanding and really capture the whole essence of early, pioneering electronic music.

Cheers,

Stephen

Stephen,

Maybe I misunderstood on the Midi C# control for the main page as they do work on the Effects. No worries. And thanks for the feedback and kudos.

Yes, I have been doing this for a long time and it is great to have a set of instruments like these to help recapture that fantastic feeling of experimentation from those early days. It certainly makes life a lot easier than splicing sounds together with hundreds of little pieces of magnetic tape. :lol:

I just finished another one aptly titled Light from a Hollow Sun

It uses the same four MLM instruments you listed above.

Indeed - MIDI CC learning was not possible because of UI control multiplexing: one knob actually edits 61 groups at once (depending on how the group selector is adjusted), so if you had different values for the same parameter in various groups, they would ALL be set to the same value if MIDI CC learning was used! I thought that's not a nice thing to be happening, so I removed MIDI CC learning from the Control Panel page completely.

I might also send out a small warning that MIDI CC learning the Chorus/Phaser Depth knob will produce audible clicks when using a CC!

Bobbotov wrote:I just finished another one aptly titled Light from a Hollow Sun
とてもいいですよ!楽しかったです

よろしく

スティーブ

;)

私は感銘を受けます

EvilDragon wrote:Indeed - MIDI CC learning was not possible because of UI control multiplexing: one knob actually edits 61 groups at once (depending on how the group selector is adjusted), so if you had different values for the same parameter in various groups, they would ALL be set to the same value if MIDI CC learning was used! I thought that's not a nice thing to be happening, so I removed MIDI CC learning from the Control Panel page completely.

I might also send out a small warning that MIDI CC learning the Chorus/Phaser Depth knob will produce audible clicks when using a CC!
Makes sense from an architecture standpoint. Too bad from a musical sense though but not earth shattering. But you do have a choice between individual bowls and ALL bowls within the instrument itself. Could the midi cc# be applied when switched to all bowls since all changes would be universal anyway? Just curious more than anything.

I finally made a track with MLM "Broken." I created a Zurna sound and built this track called Ursa Minor

In addition are Techtron, Shangri-la and Oscillisone. Also added are Tuvan throat singers and some Middle Easter percussion.

Bobbotov wrote:Could the midi cc# be applied when switched to all bowls since all changes would be universal anyway? Just curious more than anything.
Not possible unfortunately, the KSP command $CONTROL_PAR_ALLOW_AUTOMATION cannot be changed in any other callback than init. Which means that you would have to restart Kontakt's engine every time you switch from a particular group to all groups with the group selector. Not a nice solution at all.

EvilDragon wrote:
Bobbotov wrote:Could the midi cc# be applied when switched to all bowls since all changes would be universal anyway? Just curious more than anything.
Not possible unfortunately, the KSP command $CONTROL_PAR_ALLOW_AUTOMATION cannot be changed in any other callback than init. Which means that you would have to restart Kontakt's engine every time you switch from a particular group to all groups with the group selector. Not a nice solution at all.
I see. Thanks for the response.

Return to “Hollow Sun”