EMU 1212m/1616m on Windows 7 - The Thread to End All Other EMU Threads!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
rawl747
KVRist
37 posts since 17 Mar, 2012 from Virginia

Post Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:22 am

Unread post Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:21 am
Wow guys it worked finally! :hyper: :tu: Now the problem was in my case not to use the driver sweeper, as someone mentioned here that driver sweeper 3.2.0 . After cleaning and rebooting i did that procedure from clubhousekey and only changed to that Creative driver XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0019 like rawl747 mentionend. The result is i can now choose my 1820m within Cubase 10.5 and go to awesome low latency of 2 ms (roundtrip ~6ms) which i never achieved with that project before. Really amazing work guys and lets hope that M$ wont crush our systems with the next update ;)
auron,

Glad that my "19" driver suggestion worked for you. Do you have any 32 bit synths or other audio programs where you could check for E-mu E-DSP to show up in the list of ASIO drivers? That is the only thing that doesn't seem to work for me still. And I have quite a few 32 bit only s/w synths. I don't really want to have to bridge them all to 64 bits with JBridge.

Cheers,
Rawl

auron
KVRist
64 posts since 4 Nov, 2013 from Germany

Re: EMU 1212m/1616m on Windows 7 - The Thread to End All Other EMU Threads!

Post Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:27 am

rawl747 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:22 am
Unread post Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:21 am
Wow guys it worked finally! :hyper: :tu: Now the problem was in my case not to use the driver sweeper, as someone mentioned here that driver sweeper 3.2.0 . After cleaning and rebooting i did that procedure from clubhousekey and only changed to that Creative driver XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0019 like rawl747 mentionend. The result is i can now choose my 1820m within Cubase 10.5 and go to awesome low latency of 2 ms (roundtrip ~6ms) which i never achieved with that project before. Really amazing work guys and lets hope that M$ wont crush our systems with the next update ;)
auron,

Glad that my "19" driver suggestion worked for you. Do you have any 32 bit synths or other audio programs where you could check for E-mu E-DSP to show up in the list of ASIO drivers? That is the only thing that doesn't seem to work for me still. And I have quite a few 32 bit only s/w synths. I don't really want to have to bridge them all to 64 bits with JBridge.

Cheers,
Rawl
Well i tested Arturia Spark and Melodyne 32 bit standalone. They both work. But there is a problem, they both wont work with 44.1 khz. When i switch in Windows to 44.1 khz in Patchmix it is the same. I never had to change to 48 khz before in Vista64 and Windows7. I would suggest to switch to 48 khz in patchmix at first , seems like Windows 10 now forces patchmix to work at 48 khz, it wont work if i change from 44.1 khz to 48 khz in options menu, i have to load a 48 khz session in patchmix ! So this could be confusing for unexperienced users that they think the patchmix isnt working and the driver is broken . Another nice side effect now is that Skype is working if i use a microphone with the patchmix, i remember an old thread someone said yeah Skype is always that choppy microphone sound and i had that problem for a long time . Now fixed probably because of the relative new X-fi driver . So never complain about X-fi cards, please :lol: :party:

Izak Synthiemental
Banned
829 posts since 4 Aug, 2010

Re: EMU 1212m/1616m on Windows 7 - The Thread to End All Other EMU Threads!

Post Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:55 am

I use the EMU 0404 PCI version with the rare Windows 7 (not the Vista) drivers.

Asio performance is great and I don't get that one side of the speakers is off effect. However, when I don't have any Asio application (DAW) open, I can not play anything in Windows (eg I want to play an audio or video in VLC Player).

How can I have both: Asio and normal Windows audio?
http://soundcloud.com/samaritageto

Proper Education Always Corrects Errors

rawl747
KVRist
37 posts since 17 Mar, 2012 from Virginia

Re: EMU 1212m/1616m on Windows 7 - The Thread to End All Other EMU Threads!

Post Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:24 am

Well i tested Arturia Spark and Melodyne 32 bit standalone. They both work. But there is a problem, they both wont work with 44.1 khz. When i switch in Windows to 44.1 khz in Patchmix it is the same. I never had to change to 48 khz before in Vista64 and Windows7. I would suggest to switch to 48 khz in patchmix at first , seems like Windows 10 now forces patchmix to work at 48 khz, it wont work if i change from 44.1 khz to 48 khz in options menu, i have to load a 48 khz session in patchmix ! So this could be confusing for unexperienced users that they think the patchmix isnt working and the driver is broken . Another nice side effect now is that Skype is working if i use a microphone with the patchmix, i remember an old thread someone said yeah Skype is always that choppy microphone sound and i had that problem for a long time . Now fixed probably because of the relative new X-fi driver . So never complain about X-fi cards, please :lol: :party:
auron,

When you say it worked in Arturia Spark and Melodyne 32 bit standalone, did you see E-mu E-DSP show up as a choice in the list of ASIO drivers in these 32 bit synths audio configuration dialogs? That is what I am missing in mine. I can get standalone 32 bit synths to play but they have to play using the Generic ASIO driver which routes to the first 2 channels of my E-mu interface. I don't have access to ASIO channels 3 - 32. Just 1 & 2. The E-mu E-DSP driver never shows as an option in the ASIO dropdown list.

For 64 bit standalone synths, Cubase 10 (64 bit only) and IL Minihost Modular 64 bit, I get all 32 ASIO channels from the E-mu E-DSP ASIO driver.

Rawl

rawl747
KVRist
37 posts since 17 Mar, 2012 from Virginia

Re: EMU 1212m/1616m on Windows 7 - The Thread to End All Other EMU Threads!

Post Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:26 am

Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:55 pm
I use the EMU 0404 PCI version with the rare Windows 7 (not the Vista) drivers.

Asio performance is great and I don't get that one side of the speakers is off effect. However, when I don't have any Asio application (DAW) open, I can not play anything in Windows (eg I want to play an audio or video in VLC Player).

How can I have both: Asio and normal Windows audio?
Did yo make your E-mu your default audio device in Windows Sound?

auron
KVRist
64 posts since 4 Nov, 2013 from Germany

Re: EMU 1212m/1616m on Windows 7 - The Thread to End All Other EMU Threads!

Post Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:25 am

rawl747 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:24 am
Well i tested Arturia Spark and Melodyne 32 bit standalone. They both work. But there is a problem, they both wont work with 44.1 khz. When i switch in Windows to 44.1 khz in Patchmix it is the same. I never had to change to 48 khz before in Vista64 and Windows7. I would suggest to switch to 48 khz in patchmix at first , seems like Windows 10 now forces patchmix to work at 48 khz, it wont work if i change from 44.1 khz to 48 khz in options menu, i have to load a 48 khz session in patchmix ! So this could be confusing for unexperienced users that they think the patchmix isnt working and the driver is broken . Another nice side effect now is that Skype is working if i use a microphone with the patchmix, i remember an old thread someone said yeah Skype is always that choppy microphone sound and i had that problem for a long time . Now fixed probably because of the relative new X-fi driver . So never complain about X-fi cards, please :lol: :party:
auron,

When you say it worked in Arturia Spark and Melodyne 32 bit standalone, did you see E-mu E-DSP show up as a choice in the list of ASIO drivers in these 32 bit synths audio configuration dialogs? That is what I am missing in mine. I can get standalone 32 bit synths to play but they have to play using the Generic ASIO driver which routes to the first 2 channels of my E-mu interface. I don't have access to ASIO channels 3 - 32. Just 1 & 2. The E-mu E-DSP driver never shows as an option in the ASIO dropdown list.

For 64 bit standalone synths, Cubase 10 (64 bit only) and IL Minihost Modular 64 bit, I get all 32 ASIO channels from the E-mu E-DSP ASIO driver.

Rawl
This is what is looks like (i only use Asio1+2 and Asio 31+32 because of Wavelab, it always jumped onto Asio1+2 output...)

That driver cleaner also deletes old registry entries, dont know it would help you there....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Izak Synthiemental
Banned
829 posts since 4 Aug, 2010

Re: EMU 1212m/1616m on Windows 7 - The Thread to End All Other EMU Threads!

Post Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:55 am

rawl747 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:26 am

Did yo make your E-mu your default audio device in Windows Sound?
Yep, but it did not make a difference. I recall from memory that It worked before when I used the less reliable Vista drivers, but those had many other issues, like the "one side off" issue, where you had to reload settings all the time in that EMU audio application.
http://soundcloud.com/samaritageto

Proper Education Always Corrects Errors

Aeginaea
KVRer
1 posts since 22 Sep, 2013

Re: EMU 1212m/1616m on Windows 7 - The Thread to End All Other EMU Threads!

Post Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:40 pm

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
VB-Audio makes an app that has a wdm driver and it can channel ASIO through it. I used it for a while before Waves had WDM drivers for their Digigrid interface. I also had used the E-MU 1616M, a great little interface when the drivers worked right.

https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/index.htm (https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/index.htm)

Izak Synthiemental
Banned
829 posts since 4 Aug, 2010

Re: EMU 1212m/1616m on Windows 7 - The Thread to End All Other EMU Threads!

Post Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:58 pm

Thanks, I will check it.
http://soundcloud.com/samaritageto

Proper Education Always Corrects Errors

robotmonkey
KVRAF
2401 posts since 20 Jun, 2012

Re: EMU 1212m/1616m on Windows 7 - The Thread to End All Other EMU Threads!

Post Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:07 am

auron wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:27 am
They both work. But there is a problem, they both wont work with 44.1 khz. When i switch in Windows to 44.1 khz in Patchmix it is the same. I never had to change to 48 khz before in Vista64 and Windows7. I would suggest to switch to 48 khz in patchmix at first , seems like Windows 10 now forces patchmix to work at 48 khz, it wont work if i change from 44.1 khz to 48 khz in options menu, i have to load a 48 khz session in patchmix ! So this could be confusing for unexperienced users that they think the patchmix isnt working and the driver is broken . Another nice side effect now is that Skype is working if i use a microphone with the patchmix, i remember an old thread someone said yeah Skype is always that choppy microphone sound and i had that problem for a long time . Now fixed probably because of the relative new X-fi driver . So never complain about X-fi cards, please :lol: :party:
That's not surprising. Not sure about E-MU but Creative drivers have not supported anything below 48khz for over two decades. I remember this being the case as far as back as 2003 or 2004 when my gaming PC had a Soundblaster Audigy Pro or whatever their best soundcard was called at that time. Neither the WDM nor ASIO supported anything below 48khz. Since then I have had couple of other SoundBlasters and they had the same issue.
No signature here!

rawl747
KVRist
37 posts since 17 Mar, 2012 from Virginia

Re: EMU 1212m/1616m on Windows 7 - The Thread to End All Other EMU Threads!

Post Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:09 am

That's not surprising. Not sure about E-MU but Creative drivers have not supported anything below 48khz for over two decades. I remember this being the case as far as back as 2003 or 2004 when my gaming PC had a Soundblaster Audigy Pro or whatever their best soundcard was called at that time. Neither the WDM nor ASIO supported anything below 48khz. Since then I have had couple of other SoundBlasters and they had the same issue.
This issue about 44.1 kHz not being supported is not the case for me at all. I have no problem choosing 44.1 when using the E-mu ASIO drivers in my 64 bit standalone synths and DAW s/w such as Cubase. In fact, my 1820m comes up default in 44.1.

I literally just now tested this to double check the settings and played some notes in Serum running in IL Minihost Modular (64 bit) which comes up much quicker than Cubase 10 for testing.

Now if I could just get the E-mu ASIO driver to show up in the audio driver list in my 32 bit synths. I am reduced to running the 32 bit version of VEP (Vienna Ensemble Pro) Server to host my 32 bit "legacy" synths where I do not have a 64 bit version VST of a given synth available. I then insert the 64 bit VEP VST into 64 bit Cubase and it slaves the 32 bit VEP Server. It can do this internally or via 1 GB network connection on both ends.

VEP in server mode does not require nor use ASIO audio channels but rather each "instance" of VEP Server provides up to 32 virtual audio channels which send the audio from each VST hosted in the VEP Server back to the VEP VST hosted in my 64 bit Cubase DAW which does have access to the Thirty-two 64 bit E-mu ASIO audio channels.

This may sound convoluted but it works and I have found VEP to be essential to running lots of MIDI Instrument tracks in Cubase such as for orchestral arrangements. I actually have 3 licenses of VEP v7 which allows me to use three VST "slaves" all receiving MIDI from and returning audio to a master machine running my Cubase DAW.

This approach may seem confusing and/or convoluted to some but it is a workable workaround for my 32 bit VST's. And it works for 64 bit VST's as well but those must of course must be hosted in a 64 bit VEP Server host of course.

Rawl

Markus Krause
KVRist
364 posts since 2 Jul, 2018

Re: EMU 1212m/1616m on Windows 7 - The Thread to End All Other EMU Threads!

Post Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:38 am

robotmonkey wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:07 am
auron wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:27 am
They both work. But there is a problem, they both wont work with 44.1 khz. When i switch in Windows to 44.1 khz in Patchmix it is the same. I never had to change to 48 khz before in Vista64 and Windows7. I would suggest to switch to 48 khz in patchmix at first , seems like Windows 10 now forces patchmix to work at 48 khz, it wont work if i change from 44.1 khz to 48 khz in options menu, i have to load a 48 khz session in patchmix ! So this could be confusing for unexperienced users that they think the patchmix isnt working and the driver is broken . Another nice side effect now is that Skype is working if i use a microphone with the patchmix, i remember an old thread someone said yeah Skype is always that choppy microphone sound and i had that problem for a long time . Now fixed probably because of the relative new X-fi driver . So never complain about X-fi cards, please :lol: :party:
That's not surprising. Not sure about E-MU but Creative drivers have not supported anything below 48khz for over two decades. I remember this being the case as far as back as 2003 or 2004 when my gaming PC had a Soundblaster Audigy Pro or whatever their best soundcard was called at that time. Neither the WDM nor ASIO supported anything below 48khz. Since then I have had couple of other SoundBlasters and they had the same issue.
Confirmed. Back in the 90s i wrote a tracker for the hardware of EMU8000 chips (All Sound Tracker).
The Soundblaster cards did use EMU-chipsets. The OPL3 chipset for example on the AWE64 Gold was on a 48 Khz bus and not not present on the SPDiF in 44Khz.

The Soundcards from Creative and EMU were so similar that it was even easily possible to re-solder a SoundBlaster Live and install the EMU APS drivers.
Tone2 Audiosoftware https://www.tone2.com

l_maseroni
KVRist
42 posts since 22 Jun, 2019

Re: EMU 1212m/1616m on Windows 7 - The Thread to End All Other EMU Threads!

Post Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:37 am

Hi everyone. I have already published several times in this thread, they have always helped me a lot. I have a 1616 working perfectly on windows 10 64 bit. The fact is that I also had another 1212m and I bought only the 1820 audiodock, just that, without the pci. And there was my mistake, it turns out that there are two types of 1212m as explained here, one works with the microdock and another with the audiodock. So now I have a 1212m and an 1820 audio dock but they are not compatible. First of all the 1820 unlike the 1616 does not feed with a source directly to the plug. Anyone know if I can get the 1820 to feed itself to the outlet? this way maybe I can connect it with 1212 and see if something happens. Or maybe get an adat cable and see if even I can use the two preamp entries of the 1820 and thus have 4 preamp entries.

rawl747
KVRist
37 posts since 17 Mar, 2012 from Virginia

Re: EMU 1212m/1616m on Windows 7 - The Thread to End All Other EMU Threads!

Post Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:48 am

That's not surprising. Not sure about E-MU but Creative drivers have not supported anything below 48khz for over two decades. I remember this being the case as far as back as 2003 or 2004 when my gaming PC had a Soundblaster Audigy Pro or whatever their best soundcard was called at that time. Neither the WDM nor ASIO supported anything below 48khz. Since then I have had couple of other SoundBlasters and they had the same issue.


Confirmed. Back in the 90s i wrote a tracker for the hardware of EMU8000 chips (All Sound Tracker).
The Soundblaster cards did use EMU-chipsets. The OPL3 chipset for example on the AWE64 Gold was on a 48 Khz bus and not not present on the SPDiF in 44Khz.

The Soundcards from Creative and EMU were so similar that it was even easily possible to re-solder a SoundBlaster Live and install the EMU APS drivers.
Confirmed? That Soundblaster cards don't support 44.1 kHz mode? Or are you saying E-mu interfaces as well?

I ask you to clarify because my 1820m definitely still works in 44.1 kHz mode using the latest X-Fi drivers (_19) to patch the 2.30 Beta drivers when using a 64 bit DAW, standalone soft synth or other VST host.

Rawl

Markus Krause
KVRist
364 posts since 2 Jul, 2018

Re: EMU 1212m/1616m on Windows 7 - The Thread to End All Other EMU Threads!

Post Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:28 am

Confirmed? That Soundblaster cards don't support 44.1 kHz mode? Or are you saying E-mu interfaces as well?
You can't say this in general. It depends on the chipset and they 'synthesis method' chosen.
On the AWE32 samples could be outputted via DMA-mode in 44 kHz, 22 kHz, 11 kHz and other common sample-rates, while the OPL3 chipset was on 49,716 kHz and EMU8000 chipset on 48 kHz. :dog:

On the SoundBlaster Life and the (nearly identical) EMU APS the EMU10k1 chipset was also 48 kHz.
Tone2 Audiosoftware https://www.tone2.com

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”