Artiphon and Shreddage 2

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone, first-time post.

Has anyone tried using the Artiphon Instrument 1 to setup the MIDI for Shreddage 2?

I am a guitar player, more than a keyboard player. Considering buying the Artiphon as a MIDI controller.

Any positives and negatives would be helpful.

Regards,
davidmp

That sounds like a really gnarly setup. I've little knowledge with midi controllers other than my basic 49-er keyboard but throwing some info out there. Haven't found anyone making some examples of it utilizing S2 so far in my search. I watched a few videos and I'm interested. Now I really want one. Great, thanks a lot.

Consider the following. The Artiphon has 6 strings and 12 frets. Shreddage 2 has sampled 24 frets and 7 strings. These specific limitations don't seem too problematic because you seem like you can switch between user-defined configurations. Which is alleviating. However, you will run into some trouble with articulations and keyswitches. Sacrificing the leftmost fret for some commonly used keyswitches doesn't seem like a terrible idea... but then you have to worry about whether to have keyswitch latch mode on or off. And that can make certain artics a huge pain in the ass to use.

Apparently, you can set the strings on the Artiphon to different midi channels. Shreddage 2 has split midi mode where midi channels 1-7 utilize their respective strings (7 being the lowest). You could have alt configs for rhythm passages and leads or something similar. Rhythm could be setup to utilize strings 7-2, and the other configs can be leads/solos and whatever else.

For specified up and down strokes, it'd be tricky. The physical strokes would need to trigger the keyswitches that define up or down strokes within Shreddage. Which is unfortunate... because there's currently a bug in S2 that renders the upstroke keyswitch useless. Go figure. Your only options are alt or eco picking. I'd just leave it on eco.

Slides would be your biggest gripe. S2 has portamento slides but they only work with single strings. Not in built chords. Porta slides are already kinda tricky to do regularly to begin with. Seems like you'd need to configure a Kontakt preset where you have 6-7 S2 instances each controlling a different string. I have no idea if you will run into sample grabbing issues with the engine if you do this. I've never tried running that many S2 instances (yet). Have fun with that...

There's more to consider but that's the gist of it. Ultimately, I'd say it'd be very fun and experimental. But I'm not so sure if it'd be powerful enough to encompass S2's capabilities. Again... slides. If you can get that to work then you're probably golden. Although I just barely heard about this gadget from your post so maybe there could be more than meets the eye. Definitely doesn't seem plug-n'-play at ALL.
Cockos Reaper | VSTi Metal | Vocal Synths | Shreddage 2 Fanboy | VSTi Guitar Enthusiast

Currently writing a Vocaloid EP.
youtube.com/user/darkflamesquirrel

Thank you much for your reply.

Dave

Return to “Impact Soundworks”