Loop recording and count in?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,
is there a way to enable a count in for each take when I use loop midi recording?
Waveform Pro 12.5.11, Windows 10

I don't understand how to do it...
User Guide, p.184 (chapter 19), I read :" Note: The Click count-in works for loop recording. If you want a running start for each take, set Click Track > Pre-record count-in length to one or two bars."
Doesn't work for me, neither audio nor midi... :(
I have a count in only for the first take.

Just start the loop a bar behind where you want to record.
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

Thanks,
I have already tried but it's not the best workflow when your recording is in the middle of a track...
It's a pity that a function described in the User Guide doesn't work ...

I think it's working as intended. You're only supposed to get a count in on the first loop through on loop recordings, so you have an idea of the tempo you're playing to. It's unusual to want a count in for every loop through, in loop recording mode. Off the top of my head, I don't know any DAWs that work that way.

The user guide could be worded slightly better, to be clearer on what's intended to happen.

If you want a bar of count in, before you start playing, on every loop through, just make the loop start a bar earlier, and don't play during that bar

Create a new track and put a looped click on it?
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

Thanks,
I would like the devs to specify how this function is supposed to work ...

In other DAWs like Sonar, loop recording and punch mode are cumulative, so if the count In doesn’t work for each take, the workflow is better by far.

"In other DAWs like Sonar, loop recording and punch mode are cumulative, so if the count In doesn’t work for each take, the workflow is better by far."

I don't understand what you're trying to say here.

Sorry for my english... 🥵
You said : « If you want a bar of count in, before you start playing, on every loop through, just make the loop start a bar earlier, and don't play during that bar »
It could be cool but so the recorded clip contains more bars than needed and must be shortened, certainly quickly done.
In Sonar, you can adjust for example looping on bars 1-5, and punch mode on bars 2-5. So, you could have a one bar count in for each take without shorten then your recorded clip.
I hope it’s understandable! 😊

Yes, i see what you mean now, thank you. Because loop mode and punch in both use the In and Out markers, you can't have the loop longer than where you're punching in. I'm afraid I can't think of a way around that in the current implementation :(

Create a new track with one bar in it - with 4 midi drum hits on the beat - at the last bar of the region you're having troubles with? Mute it when you're done, or move it to the next area you're working on?
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

Exactly. Folks use temp tracks like this to fix or prevent all sorts of issues. I think the OP wants Roland or Dave to respond, though.
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

Thanks guys for your suggestions.
However, I do not understand well the interest of a temporary track since I already have the click track enabled and in any case I will have to shorten my recorded clip...

Normally the "click track" isn't a real track. However, you can MAKE an additional temporary track with wood block or cowbell "clicks" on it, and this is the suggestion - to put this 1-bar temporary clip on the "temporary click track" placed at the LAST BAR of the loop you want to do.

I often use the MT power drum loops as the starting phase of a new piece, and just have them fill in the whole song with something appropriate - easy if you don't have tempo changes. Record the other instruments with that as the backing/alternate to a click track. Then go back later and selectively cut out portions of that and customize the lead-in/break/solo/chorus sections of that "drum/click" track.
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

Return to “Tracktion”