VCV Rack

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Loopus Modules Sonus Modular treasure 0.5 treasure free bundle VCV Rack

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Sorry, I was questioning your stance on sending midi to effects, which you can.

It just depends on the plugin.

It happens that you cant send midi to VCV Rack in Live.
Fair enough. Yes, I wrote that poorly. Typing too fast. Corrected now. If an effect supports MIDI In, you can send to it when it is on an audio track. I misunderstood what VCV was saying about the current state of the Bridge. The only inputs at present are audio inputs.

I was confused, because Rack currently shows Bridge as a MIDI input device. It's there, but it does nothing because the plugin has no MIDI input.

It does not appear that you can send MIDI to VCV bridge->Rack in any host.

Robert Randolph wrote:It does not appear that you can send MIDI to VCV bridge->Rack in any host.
Continuous Controller messages you can
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Can someone please outline how to use Rack MIDI and audio with the bridge in a DAW? Or point me to documentation for 0.6.0? I can't seem to find info on this online.

killmaster wrote:Can someone please outline how to use Rack MIDI and audio with the bridge in a DAW? Or point me to documentation for 0.6.0? I can't seem to find info on this online.
You can't use Bridge for MIDI yet, except by automating the CC parameters. It is currently only an Effect plugin. The instrument version is coming later.

Use is simple: Add an Audio track in your DAW. Put VCV Bridge on the audio track.

Add a MIDI-CC and an Audio device to Rack. Set them both to Bridge, and set the port to match the port you chose in VCV Bridge in your DAW (defaults to 1).

Audio from Rack will return through the VCV Bridge effect. MIDI is only for sending CV generated from automating the 16 CC parameters in Bridge.

You will need to use some other method of getting MIDI into Rack. On Mac, you can do this using the IAC Driver for inter-app MIDI. There are 3rd-party drivers that accomplish the same thing in Windows. In any case, create a MIDI track in your DAW and set its MIDI-send to the inter-app device you have. Choose the same inter-app device in Rack on a MIDI module.

This will all be a lot easier once the Instrument version of Rack is released. Then you will only need a single MIDI track in your DAW to drive it.
Last edited by teilo on Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teilo wrote:
killmaster wrote:Can someone please outline how to use Rack MIDI and audio with the bridge in a DAW? Or point me to documentation for 0.6.0? I can't seem to find info on this online.
You can't use Bridge for MIDI yet, except by automating the CC parameters. It is currently only an Effect plugin. The instrument version is coming later.

Use is simple: Add an Audio track in your DAW. Put VCV Bridge on the audio track.

Add a MIDI-CC and an Audio device to Rack. Set them both to Bridge, and set the port to match the port you chose in VCV Bridge in your DAW (defaults to 1).

Audio from Rack will return through the VCV Bridge effect. MIDI is only for sending CV generated from automating the 16 CC parameters in Bridge.

Until the Instrument version of VCV Bridge is released, you will need to use some other method of getting MIDI into Rack. On Mac, you an do this using the IAC Driver for inter-app MIDI. There are 3rd-party drivers that accomplish the same thing in Windows.
Wow, thanks a lot. Everything I wanted to know. Really appreciate the reply...

Hope the module browser gets an update soon, not really suitable now thees so many modules available

I‘m sneaking around VCV Rack for quite a time.
Is it better / the same / worse than NI Blocks?
Somebody here with experience in both worlds?

martinjuenke wrote:I‘m sneaking around VCV Rack for quite a time.
Is it better / the same / worse than NI Blocks?
Somebody here with experience in both worlds?
Blocks have more of analog juice/power and sound better to me while i like the workflow in VCV rack much more.
But i anyway prefer another modular :D
Why not combining both in your DAW. :)

layzer wrote:
autodafe wrote:I agree, 32 bits is quite obsolete technology nowadays, most half-decent machines are 64 bits...there would be no reason to mantain 2 different versions
for people that prefer a fast simple daw without the hassle of gigs upon gigs of sample libraries to make their music, x32 is more than enough bits :idea:
Couldn't agree more.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

dBiz
Verbo and Chord modules - some of the knobs are misaligned/wrong size

Win10 Pro 64bit
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I replaced the dBiz folder with the version on Github which solved the problem, plus there are more modules than those downloaded via the plugin manager.
VariKusBrainZ wrote:dBiz
Verbo and Chord modules - some of the knobs are misaligned/wrong size

Win10 Pro 64bit

Here are the instructions for using VCV Bridge, since some people are asking.
https://vcvrack.com/manual/Core.html (scroll down)
VCV Rack, the Eurorack simulator

how about creating a vst plugin that audifies midi as a pulse code? that way midi in theory could be sent over audio, assuming there was an interpreter module in VCV.

overhishead wrote:how about creating a vst plugin that audifies midi as a pulse code? that way midi in theory could be sent over audio, assuming there was an interpreter module in VCV.
To build something like that in Max4Live or directly in Bitwig should take no more than 5 minutes, but its way easier and less CPU intensive to send Midi around.
Of course you would then need a receiving device in VCV, which probably needs more than 5 minutes to program...

Return to “Modular Synthesis”