Why am I losing my controller assignments when I change preset?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just managed to setup my Kore controller as a virtual MCU, works great for controlling transport etc, but when it comes to built-in instruments and effects I'm finding if I assign knobs to params I lose them again as soon as I change presets. Very annoying when I have just spent several minutes getting it all set up how I want it. How do I keep my assignments (ideally I would like to setup an instrument once and not have to do it again, between sessions as well)?

You need to save your macros or device parameters to a default or whatever name suites you...

Thanks how do I do that?

btw I have also found that if I drag a preset onto say Polysynth after assigning controls it doesn't lose them (at least for that instance/session) - they only get lost if I double click on a preset. Strange.

overthere..... :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ah yes but that would just save another preset. I was wanting to know how to stop losing assignments when changing presets - anyway drag and drop seems to work as long as I remember to do that and not double click on them (I hope the new browser won't mess that up).

Edit - it doesn't seem to work anyway - when I assign controls to Polysynth params and save it as a preset, when I reload the preset the param assignments are gone again.

What Bitwig really needs is something like Studio One's Control Link.

If I'm understanding you correctly you need to open up the Device Panel Mappings Panel (bottom 'gear' icon), add Parameter Pages (with the +), drag the colored dot to the parameter you want to match and build up a Preset Mapping like this (on Mac Cmd/Control Clicking allows you to rename the page name) and then click on the 'Arrow Folder' Icon after the x to save as default. The plug-in should now always open with that arrangement.

At the moment it's not possible to reorder pages or rename parameters (although you can leave 'spaces' without a parameter, like Kore)

... I would avoid using the 'Fixed Sections', easier to just make multiple parameter pages and if Kore is anything like Push, you should be able to scroll through Pages like you would on Kore... although there are some API issues right now with paging (at least with the Push script) where it's not working (it was in an earlier version), hopefully fixed in 1.2.

Here's a screen grab of one I made for VTM:

Thanks - it's not working for me, maybe I am doing something wrong? I used the + to add panel mappings and dragged them over to the params I wanted to control in Polysynth. The I used 'learn controller assignment' to learn my Kore controls to the macro knobs, making sure I assigned them to the same colours but when I turn the Kore knobs it doesn't control the corresponding Polysynth params, it just turns the macro knobs.

Actually I think part of the problem is the limited set of controller mappings built into BWS. I tried setting the Kore up using the Mackie mode but have now realised BWS is interpreting the knob movements using some sort of fixed scheme so have now created a generic setup using just cc's but now it won't recognise transport controls. There is no template for an 8 button/8knob plus transport setup. I think Studio 1 is much easier to get setup, at least with that I have a visual editor so I can see what is assigned to what.

Yeah, I just tried setting up Kore in BWS using the MCU template... it semi worked for a little bit (I've not used it before so was slow but transport and select seemed to be working) and then it just stopped.

Could load a Kore instance into BWS and the controller worked fine for that but Midi Mode is misbehaving.

Sorry, not sure I can be much more use as I think you're trying to control Macros rather than 'paged parameters' (which should in theory work with the MCU template but don't for me) and also the API is a bit wonky right now!

Return to “Bitwig”