Does Bitwig support phantom copies?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thank you for the reply. I'll come back next year (maybe!)

cu next year! :-)

Would love this feature too. Submitted to the wigs over a year ago. IMO this in combination with the clip launchers would an absolutely incredible way to arrange and compose tracks.

What are phantom copies?

Never heard of it....

mholloway wrote:What are phantom copies?

Never heard of it....
can create common reference to the clips, in Reaper it can be inner(handled by DAW itself) or outer in this case a real MIDI file will be the common clip reference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2N4BomWjXo

don't have to make the same change(s) on each clip one by one enough if one of them is modified, even better if the automation can do the same (Reaper can only copy automation between clips using a script, there is no automation ghosting in it)
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

there is ghost copy functionality since day one isn't it?

ghosting should work between "independent" clips (they can be put anywhere in the timeline)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnVD-kAAYII

that doesn't even work in cubase does it? First time i see it being able to split.

working in Cubase too, should copy the clips with pressed ctrl+alt+shift (items can be converted back with Edit/Functions/Convert to Real Copy) or Edit/Functions/Reapeat... also can create shared copies

shared copies = ghost clips in Cubase, Cubase also doens't support automation sharing or any kind of automation syncing (ofc. in clip MIDI CC curves can be shared ones) working the same way in S1 too, Reason with blocks also support this concept but bit different way, FL is pattern based so also has, AL doens't support this (and this why BWS skipped this feature in the first round IMO)

AFAIK only Reaper supports real MIDI file based (outer) sharing beside the inner one

Renoise calls them Aliases (I never use them, they do more harm than good for me, even though at first sight it seemed to me to be a great feature.)

ah, I get it now, thanks for the explanations...

that said, just personally it's not something I really need. I've used the alias function in Renoise (and also way back in my Cubase days) and yeah, it's just more likely to make me accidentally change something across a ton of clips when I mean to just change one, I would probably just leave it off and copy+paste as necessary to keep other clips sharing the same contents.

but, i get it, and see how depending on one's particular workflow style, it could be a great feature.

Return to “Bitwig”