why 2.1.2 doesn't work when 2.1.1 did (Linux)

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Greetings,

As per the instructions from the tech support team I re-installed 2.1.2 to generate the engine log file. Here's the bad news :

Code: Select all

/opt/bitwig-studio/bin/BitwigStudioEngine: error while loading shared libraries: libmvec.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Indeed, libmvec was introduced in glibc 2.22, which is not available for Fedora 21. Ah, the sad price of progress. This means that a system upgrade is required, i.e. I'm not likely to be able to resolve the issue any other way. Upgrading isn't really a big deal, unless you're like me and prefer to maintain a stable system once you've got one.

Although this report is specific to Fedora I suspect a similar situation holds for anyone using relatively older versions of Ubuntu or any other distro without glibc-2.22.

Good luck to all !

Best,

dp

Hi dp,

Can't you just upgrade the glibc?
This one is supposed to be backward compatible.

Alex.

libmvec is part of the libc6 package , try a package search on your box for that instead. This is on Ubuntu 16.04 so maybe the packages have a different title?

This lib got pulled in because gcc could auto vectorize some calls to the math functions (I guess). So it should also be faster with it I believe ;-)

Greetings,

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm about umpteen versions behind the current Fedora anyway, it's time to move on. I'll upgrade the whole system this weekend, to at least Fedora 23.

(Dave takes a deep breath before plunging into upgrading a Linux system with an rt-kernel and an nVidia graphics driver).

Best,

dp

Oh I see :-)

Anyway you have to update sooner or later. ^^

Hi StudioDave,
how do you generate the engine log?
I have the same symptom with a stock KXStudio based on Ubuntu 14 LTS.
Running "ldd --version" shows 2.19...
My guess I run into the missing libmvec problem.

pakunoda wrote:Hi StudioDave,
how do you generate the engine log?
I have the same symptom with a stock KXStudio based on Ubuntu 14 LTS.
Running "ldd --version" shows 2.19...
My guess I run into the missing libmvec problem.
Very likely. The recommended version of Ubuntu is now 16, IIRC.

The engine log is generated automatically after each session. You can find it in your home directory in the .BitwigStudio/log directory. On my system it's here :

/home/dave/.BitwigStudio/log/engine.log
HTH,

dp

Thanks,
As expected I found the same error in the engine.log...
"libmvec.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
So I am on the way to set up another linux system.

same here : /opt/bitwig-studio/bin/BitwigStudioEngine: error while loading shared libraries: libmvec.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Mint Linux 17.3 :-(

Waht can i do ?

highsiderr wrote:same here : /opt/bitwig-studio/bin/BitwigStudioEngine: error while loading shared libraries: libmvec.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Mint Linux 17.3 :-(

Waht can i do ?
If you are not wanting to upgrade your system, It might be possible to install / force install libc6 from Debian Sid ... here's a link ... https://packages.debian.org/sid/libc6

I'm unsure if this will break anything if you install it, another option might be to mount/open the .deb file and manually extract the libmvec.so.1 file and place it in the appropriate directory.

on my system ( Mint 18 64bit ) the file resides in /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libmvec.so.1

Thx @mikoatkvr it works. Copy two files libmvec.so.1 and libmvec-2.24.so to /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu

highsiderr wrote:Thx @mikoatkvr it works. Copy two files libmvec.so.1 and libmvec-2.24.so to /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
Great, glad to have helped :)

Thank you mikoatkvr and highsiderr!

I chose to extract the file you mentioned. Maybe I could have let the package manager set all the things, but there was many other files I didn't know their purpose...

First Bitwig said in its engine log that the libmvec.so.1 file was too short; indeed it was 15 bytes only, just the string "libmvec-2.24.so" inside.

As highsiderr did, I copied the libmvec-2.24.so as well and made a symbolic link on it named "libmvec.so.1"

sudo ln -s libmvec-2.24.so libmvec.so.1
Phew, Bitwig's audio engine can finally start!! and I can keep KXStudio... until I can manage to set up my rig on an RPM-type distro :-)

(man it's only a few days that I can spend hours on learning linux... it's hard but rewarding! :tu: )
Now its time to compile airwave!

Return to “Bitwig”