Bitwig 2.4 Beta 2

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

in other news,

certain audio clips would not play this AM. i can't reproduce but the region wasn't included when the cursor passed over it. stopping and replaying solved it but how is that viable solution in a live situation .

Hi everybody,

I try to assign an fx selector per channel for switching per notes via seq8, without any result. Or an fx layer.... if someone can highlight me....thanks
Best
YY

gesslr wrote:
Taika-Kim wrote:....

Funnily though, the USB interface has more CPU overhead, the same project uses around 15% more CPU than with the Profire 2626.
If I remember correctly, that is due to difference in the core designs of the FW and USB standards. USB uses more CPU for management of the streams (or something like that) than FW. Used to make a bigger difference when CPUs weren’t as beefy as they are these days.
Further update, I checked out of curiosity: under Win 7 DSP load with the same project is also around 10% higher than under Linux with my M Audio Profire 2626. Under Windows, my USB Audio 2 DJ interface actually performed a little better than the M Audio Profire. So there is definitely difference between audio interface drivers with how much DSP they hog while running.

Also there is a difference in how they perform under load AND under low latency operation. RME interfaces are well known for being able to take near full advantage of the asio bandwidth. Some interfaces glitch with audio drop outs when you get near 75 to 80% asio load. Any many interfaces that can handle 32 buffers can only handle a few tracks before they break up regardless of attached computer.

Taika-Kim wrote:
gesslr wrote:
Taika-Kim wrote:....

Funnily though, the USB interface has more CPU overhead, the same project uses around 15% more CPU than with the Profire 2626.
If I remember correctly, that is due to difference in the core designs of the FW and USB standards. USB uses more CPU for management of the streams (or something like that) than FW. Used to make a bigger difference when CPUs weren’t as beefy as they are these days.
Further update, I checked out of curiosity: under Win 7 DSP load with the same project is also around 10% higher than under Linux with my M Audio Profire 2626. Under Windows, my USB Audio 2 DJ interface actually performed a little better than the M Audio Profire. So there is definitely difference between audio interface drivers with how much DSP they hog while running.
Last edited by Scotty on Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's really hard to say where problems lie. When I recently benchmarked, I could run BW even at around 95-98% DSP load pretty reliably under Linux, now with beta 2 things start to cough badly after around 75-80% already. And not just glitches, but pauses where the audio stops briefly. But also many components have been updated in the Linux system, and that was also another interface that broke down so can't try that anymore. 

If I had more time, I would re-install 2.3.5 and see if BW or my system causes the current problems. But I desperately need to finish music too... And already sending reports about evident bugs takes time.

Taika-Kim wrote:It's really hard to say where problems lie. When I recently benchmarked, I could run BW even at around 95-98% DSP load pretty reliably under Linux, now with beta 2 things start to cough badly after around 75-80% already. And not just glitches, but pauses where the audio stops briefly. But also many components have been updated in the Linux system, and that was also another interface that broke down so can't try that anymore. 

If I had more time, I would re-install 2.3.5 and see if BW or my system causes the current problems. But I desperately need to finish music too... And already sending reports about evident bugs takes time.
Obviously you should not be doing important projects on the beta... For example, it is possible they have some debug code active, or have not fully optimized a new feature if they are still working on it. The new midi channel support is a core function and may still be something of a WIP.

gesslr wrote:
Hez wrote:
EDIT: Ok, it's somehow linked to mouse movement. When I first open the project there's no issue, but some action or other causes any subsequent movement of the mouse to suddenly tank the CPU. Once that action is triggered the project is screwed until Bitwig is closed and reopened. I can pretty much take DSP up to 100% permanently by waving the mouse backwards and forwards rapidly. Now just to figure out what it is that's causing it... perhaps related to the new tooltips...
Oddly enough, I had a very similar problem in another DAW a few years back. Turns out the culprit was the graphics card drivers. They needed to be updated.

Go figure...
Interesting! I must say it might not be that far fetched to think the graphics are involved somehow. I have experienced the same issues as reported by others here in Beta 2 even with very low CPU loads and it seems to be made worse when VST plugins with complex animated graphics are running (even though they are minimised/hidden). I was able to get rid of the pops in one case by deleting a track in a project which contained an “idle” NI Reaktor Blocks instance. Oddly enough the same Reaktor patch did not cause any problems when I later ran it “wrapped” in the Komplete Kontrol VST... :neutral:

Well, working on real, complex projects is the best way to beta test for me. I never had a case of a corrupted project with the betas, so I'm pretty confident.

Taika-Kim wrote:Well, working on real, complex projects is the best way to beta test for me. I never had a case of a corrupted project with the betas, so I'm pretty confident.
Yeah same to be honest, though I know I'm playing with fire a little bit ; )

I tend to start a new project and work on it as I would any other one. Just gets irritating when you actually get really attached to the track and start to worry that they might have to roll something back in a beta release and make it unloadable...

Hmm it's also possible that the DSP meter in beta is a bit broken. I was getting heavy dropouts while playing a song where the DSP meter showed around 70% load. But when I doubled the buffer size to 2048 samples, the dropouts disappeared, and the DSP meter is now showing a very low load, altough the HTOP process manager is showing a quite high load of around 70% on every core.

After changing back to 1024 samples and restarting the audio engine after this, the load was suddenly correctly scaled and shown to surpass 100%.

So people with glitches might just try a larger buffer size to see if the load is just somehow reported wrong.

Had a couple instances of program crashing after deleting a track while playing. It rebooted and everything was saved.

On a side note, do you guys know how long it takes for Bitwig to get back to it's customers for tech support? Emailed them last week due to only being able to use Bitwig Beta and not being able to log into regular program. Posted about it on previous page. They haven't replied. Filled out their form again just to make sure they received it, but don't want to spam them either.

Usually Bitwig support replies within 3 business days... Often 1... but now its fixing beta bugs before 2.4 release days so it i'd give it couple of more days.

Whywhy wrote:Hi everybody,
I try to assign an fx selector per channel for switching per notes via seq8, without any result. Or an fx layer.... if someone can highlight me....thanks
What do you mean with 'switching per notes'? On each note the next FX Selector chain should be selected? Then I would choose an Note Counter modulator to modulate the selection index of an FX selector.
To do it per channel you probably have to use an FX layer and put a channel filter into each layer to get only desired notes in this layer.

ilhouse wrote:Had a couple instances of program crashing after deleting a track while playing. It rebooted and everything was saved.

On a side note, do you guys know how long it takes for Bitwig to get back to it's customers for tech support? Emailed them last week due to only being able to use Bitwig Beta and not being able to log into regular program. Posted about it on previous page. They haven't replied. Filled out their form again just to make sure they received it, but don't want to spam them either.
Its holiday season in Germany. After their effort to pull out 2.4 beta, they might be off to the beach somewhere without internet access... They deserve it and when they are back they will have a refreshed brain to do all the required debuggin’...

Why did you changed the mouse scrolling on the mixer view/scene view on the lower bar? When I want to use mouse scrolling to quickly scroll go through my channels, it goes really slow, in 2.3.5 it is normal to fast.

Return to “Bitwig”