Is it possible to mute midi in the mixer in 2.4?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:54 pm Why not? Do you have a mixer?
You can easily make a Midi Mute btw. Modulate the cc7 with a button. That way you get both, a mute and a Midi volume control...
Midi Mute.jpg
Thanks for trying but there's no workaround that will solve this problem given the fact that sounds have tails and can have effects attached. If you simply lower the master volume of your hardware synth you are going to cut the sound and any release or delay is gone.
Every other daw works the way it should and introducing these feature will make no harm to people that don't need it. Actually, The only people that are suffering from this is the Bitwig team since they are loosing potential costumers.
At the time I bought Bitwig I didn't know about this limitation (actually I never imagined that it wouldn't work the way I expected it to work); if I knew I wouldn't have bought it.
In the meantime I don't care anymore since I've gone 99% itb for production and use Live when performing live with my synths (no pun intended).

This is the 'thing' where any audio from external hardware being triggered [ using the HW Instrument device ] by a midi clip is not muted by just pressing the Mute button on the track? Where you specifically have to mute the midi clip to not hear the audio from the hardware?

Sorry, this really needs to be fixed so the track Mute button mutes the audio output of the track that the HW is on as expected. No workarounds, no justification of why it's not like that... just needs to be fixed.

I agree it has to be fixed, but to mute notes or all there are two more workarounds:
Midi Mute 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

taoyoyo wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:14 pmjust needs to be fixed.
It needs to be improved

Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:22 pm I agree it has to be fixed, but to mute notes or all there are two more workarounds:
Midi Mute 2.jpg
That's another workaround, but still... When you solo another track?
As said before there's no valid workaround.

pdxindy wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:23 pm
It needs to be improved
Would you explain the reasoning behind this 'improved, not fixed' logic, maybe I'm missing something? :)

You have a hardware synth hooked up to a physical mixer channel. A sequencer is triggering the synth. Pressing the mute button on the mixer channel mutes the audio signal of the synth regardless of what's happening with the sequencer. The sequencer itself does not mute the audio signal?

taoyoyo wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:57 am
It needs to be improved
Would you explain the reasoning behind this 'improved, not fixed' logic, maybe I'm missing something? :)

You have a hardware synth hooked up to a physical mixer channel. A sequencer is triggering the synth. Pressing the mute button on the mixer channel mutes the audio signal of the synth regardless of what's happening with the sequencer. The sequencer itself does not mute the audio signal?
My point is, it is not a bug. It is working as designed. The design is deficient.

So to me, fixed indicates a bug, while improved means it needs to be designed better. From interactions with Bitwig, I'm fairly confident this is how they see it and I think when speaking to them, it is more likely to get results using the language that makes sense to them.

That is my reasoning :)

pdxindy wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:15 am
taoyoyo wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:57 am
It needs to be improved

My point is, it is not a bug. It is working as designed. The design is deficient.

So to me, fixed indicates a bug, while improved means it needs to be designed better. From interactions with Bitwig, I'm fairly confident this is how they see it and I think when speaking to them, it is more likely to get results using the language that makes sense to them.

That is my reasoning :)
Thanks. Gotcha. We're really talking subtleties of language then.

I really like the phrase 'the design is deficient' :)

I wish they would rethink this, for me it's one of those 3 or 4 things that swings me back towards sticking with Live on the DAW pendulum [ and it's a semi-pisser as there are some great things about Bitwig ]

You can get both solo and mute to work with a multi channel VST by just sending all the tracks to the track with the VSTi and having the clips assigned to the channels rather than sending the tracks to the plugin.

Also sending by channel only allows one track per channel for some reason which is more nuts.

In any normal DAW you have solo, mute, volume and pan for MIDI as standard controls on the track header for any hardware or VSTi and it can be sent anywhere. In Bitwig I have failed to get a set up where any of these things actually work conveniently.

Bitwig is poor if you are trying to use multi channel VSTis or hardware synths. After decades, still nobody has made any programs which can compete with Logic or Cubase if you concentrate on composing and are using hardware. Reaper comes close now except it's actual communication with hardware is pathetically bad. Stuck notes, timing issues etc. Just unusable.

Bitwig could address this shortfall. The synths in Bitwig are good but in each case I have a superior alternative. Even with VSTIs there are better synths. The modular environment is great and there are lots of ways to mangle and experiment with audio in Bitwig which is really great but the thing that keeps Logic and Cubase kings in any serious environment is that the MIDI is sorted. The Bitwig developers should try to address the other shortfalls of Bitwig now that the modular thing is there. Apple and Steinberg just keep laughing all the way to the bank as nobody competes.

And just to add, one reason I am very keen on Bitwig is that it runs on Linux. I'm still using OSX for audio stuff but everything else I do on Linux. Having Bitwig on linux is really great. I intend to move audio over to Linux.

effluxion wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:42 pm You can get both solo and mute to work with a multi channel VST by just sending all the tracks to the track with the VSTi and having the clips assigned to the channels rather than sending the tracks to the plugin.

Also sending by channel only allows one track per channel for some reason which is more nuts.

In any normal DAW you have solo, mute, volume and pan for MIDI as standard controls on the track header for any MIDI or VSTi and it can be sent anywhere to hardware or multi channel VSTis. In Bitwig I have failed to get a set up where any of these things actually work conveniently.

Bitwig is poor if you are trying to use multi channel VSTis or hardware synths. After decades, still nobody has made any programs which can compete with Logic or Cubase if you concentrate on composing and are using hardware. Reaper comes close now except it's actual communication with hardware is pathetically bad. Stuck notes, timing issues etc. Just unusable.

Bitwig could address this shortfall. The synths in Bitwig are good but in each case I have a superior alternative. Even with VSTIs there are better synths. The modular environment is great and there are lots of ways to mangle and experiment with audio in Bitwig which is really great but the thing that keeps Logic and Cubase kings in any serious environment is that the MIDI is sorted. The Bitwig developers should try to address the other shortfalls of Bitwig now that the modular thing is there. Apple and Steinberg just keep laughing all the way to the bank as nobody competes.

And just to add, one reason I am very keen on Bitwig is that it runs on Linux. I'm still using OSX for audio stuff but everything else I do on Linux. Having Bitwig on linux is really great. I intend to move audio over to Linux.
I doubt Bitwig will ever compete with Cubase and Logic... or if it does, it will be 5 or more years down the road or some such.

Bitwig is making a place for itself by doing things those DAW's cannot. It is not trying to compete with them and become the DAW that Hans Zimmer uses for movie soundtracks. Of course you can advocate for what you want, but if you are waiting for that, I suspect you are in for lots of disappointment.

Personally, I want Bitwig to keep developing to its strengths and I will deal with its weak spots... I want a Midi Grid device so I can easily control VST's from the Grid. I want user created GUI's for Grid patches.

pdxindy wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:19 pm
effluxion wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:42 pm You can get both solo and mute to work with a multi channel VST by just sending all the tracks to the track with the VSTi and having the clips assigned to the channels rather than sending the tracks to the plugin.

In any normal DAW you have solo, mute, volume and pan for MIDI as standard controls on the track header for any MIDI or VSTi and it can be sent anywhere to hardware or multi channel VSTis. In Bitwig I have failed to get a set up where any of these things actually work conveniently.

I doubt Bitwig will ever compete with Cubase and Logic... or if it does, it will be 5 or more years down the road or some such.

Bitwig is making a place for itself by doing things those DAW's cannot. It is not trying to compete with them and become the DAW that Hans Zimmer uses for movie soundtracks. Of course you can advocate for what you want, but if you are waiting for that, I suspect you are in for lots of disappointment.

Personally, I want Bitwig to keep developing to its strengths and I will deal with its weak spots... I want a Midi Grid device so I can easily control VST's from the Grid. I want user created GUI's for Grid patches.
I'm not asking for all the features of Logic or Cubase. I'm simply asking for features that sequencers in the 1980s had so you can actually compose music. This is why for example Logic will be chosen by many people over Bitwig for simply composing electronic music.

I just found another mad thing. You can change the MIDI channel of any clip but you can't change the MIDI channel of it's automation.

Korg Gadget running on an ipad is currently a far superior MIDI sequencer than Bitwig is. That's nuts.

effluxion wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:07 pm Korg Gadget running on an ipad is currently a far superior MIDI sequencer than Bitwig is. That's nuts.
I'll take the MPE support of Bitwig thanks!

The iPad has some amazing tools... it is not an insult that it does something better. There is nothing like Borderlands on iOS for example.

I think we will only get Midi mute if they tackle Midi chase as well. Without that a Midi mute will produce too many support questions because of hanging notes, or held notes not playing (my workarounds would have that problem as well)... Maybe each support question should be followed by “btw. When do we get Midi chase and Midi mute?”

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:24 am I think we will only get Midi mute if they tackle Midi chase as well. Without that a Midi mute will produce too many support questions because of hanging notes, or held notes not playing (my workarounds would have that problem as well)... Maybe each support question should be followed by “btw. When do we get Midi chase and Midi mute?”
Err... MIDI chase was added in 3.1:
https://www.bitwig.com/stories/announci ... dio-31-43/
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Bitwig”