BITWIG STUDIO 3

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pdxindy wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:40 am
rbx11 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:38 am Is there a release date or ETA for version 3?
My guess is quite soon after 2.5 is officially released...
Is there a release date or ETA for version 2.5 :D
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:02 am
pdxindy wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:40 am
rbx11 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:38 am Is there a release date or ETA for version 3?
My guess is quite soon after 2.5 is officially released...
Is there a release date or ETA for version 2.5 :D
ASAP when it's ready :hihi:

2.5 came out as a christmas gift.it's almost march.....

Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:00 am For software it is true for anything running on a single core, you can have more events at the same time only if you have several cores, but that is hardware...
In software we have constructs which allow us to implement with a minset of parallel instructions, but in reality they are only sliced up and run one after another...
You probably never coded in assembler...
It’s not even true for a single core, I guess you haven’t programmed in assembler on modern vector processors!

For my work In HPC I spend a lot of time with issues with things happening at exactly the same time causing issues.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Congrats on the news, but..
Is it only me or are majority of bitwig users apparently instrument creators? Seems like that in this thread.

I'm more interested in the basic functionality and GUI smoothness :scared:

Cheers from v1 owner.
Bitwig

krixa wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:17 amIs it only me or are majority of bitwig users apparently instrument creators? Seems like that in this thread.

I can only speculate, just like most of us on this forum...

But I suspect that what we are seeing with the teasers vids and interviews on The Grid in 3.0 in the tip of the iceberg. How will it expand and increase in functionality and flexibility in 4.x, 5.x, etc? And, Bitwig has been clear in their posts on their site that they will be focusing on workflow, something that we all can use. I hear ya on basic functionality, and agree. I don't think Bitwig is abandoning that, they are just introducing this new concept - merge Reaktor into a DAW so to speak.
https://www.reverbnation.com/toddsilva
Ryzen 9 5950x with 64G, i7 5820K with 32G DDR4, networked using AudioGridder, Bitwig, NI, U-he, and Arturia soft synths to name a few
Eurorack system https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/432465

krixa wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:17 am Congrats on the news, but..
Is it only me or are majority of bitwig users apparently instrument creators? Seems like that in this thread.

Cheers from v1 owner.
It's not either/or... I want both... I'm gonna make great use of the Grid. I also want them to continue to improve basic functionality and speed up the GUI. I've been pleased with what they have come out with on each new update. 2.5 has some valuable workflow improvements. Bitwig launches in half the time it used to. There are some useful new key commands and small workflow features. It all just takes time and of course we would all like to have version 5 right now :)

When they announced the previous update and featured a revamped Sampler, I was not so keen right away... but now it is my Sampler of choice and I'm very glad they put the effort into it.

Cheers from v1 owner.
I think, at least everybody who plays live with Bitwig Studio has to be an instrument creator because every live set is kind of an instrument.
Also everybody who wants to do sound design in his/her project will like the Grid as an option.
Everybody not so much into this instrument patching will be able to enjoy creations of other people by simply loading them as presets and playing them. It's the same as with the Controller API (although actually writing controller scripts can be an important part of the instrument building process in Bitwig Studio).
Actually the Grid IS basic functionality - depends from where you're looking at it ;)
I don't say that there aren't useful features I'd also like to see to be added to the program. The best way to tell it to the devs is to write them a mail with feature wishes and they will add that to their feature wish list. And I'm sure they're thinking a lot about in which order to add the stuff users requested. For example when building a house it makes more sense to first build the basement, then the first floor, second floor and so on. The Grid for example (I think) is also a showcase of what has happened under the hood like more efficient distribution of individual CPU recources (the reason that Bitwig devices probably most of the time will be waaay more lightweight concerning CPU performance compared to VSTs but sounding as good as those or even better).

Cheers from v1 owner.
I don't think of the Grid as a place to create INSTRUMENTS--although it certainly will be able to do that. I'm excited about the Grid for creating crazy audio FX racks. For example, I've built Ableton's "Erosion" device (the real thing; not a half-attempt) in Reaktor, but Reaktor sucks in so many ways and has some buggy behavior (like white noise generators sharing the same exact system timestamp seed so you can't do stereo white noise), and has a really crappy UI panel. Bascially, to make my Reaktor version of Erosion usable, you had to play some weird games to get the two white noise generators outputting a *different* sequence of white noise. And the UI panel options for controlling some aspects of the sound was... not optimal.

So then I just built the same Erosion in a regular FX Layer device, but there I had to use 3rd party plugins for various important components.

So, for example, I'm looking forward to the Grid so I can build a single FX Grid device with the Erosion process in it and a simple remote control panel with the knobs needed to tweak the behavior.

Even better, since my Erosion emulation will be just one single FX Grid device that doesn't require any 3rd party plugins, it becomes totally share-able with others. One file. Done. You can't do that with most complex racks being built in Bitwig today, because most complex racks are using 3rd party plugins to get the job done.

You get to a certain point in your production of electronic music and it becomes all about the audio processing and FX processing; not really about the synths. The sound coming out of a synth is just a raw starting point for the real sound design. The sound that comes out of Serum or Avenger or Thorn or Polysynth, etc. is quite often *not* the sound that ends up on the final track. Especially in a lot of "bass music" genres, the sound that comes out of synths ends up getting warped and mangled and resampled and chopped beyond recognition.

Cheers from v1 owner.
This was something that was promised from the very early days of Bitwig. You will probably find long threads of people complaining that bitwig still isn't fully modular as they promised. So this is a very big release for some.

Its not so high on my list of wants but its something different from any other daw and I'm certainly going to have a lot of fun playing around with it when it lands. :hyper:

I'm also v1 and I love how this software has turned out so far.
http://Freshby6.com
Bitwig since 1.0

Bitiwg should focus on stability (GUI bugs/freezes/slow) and also on the time-stretching/audio edit workflow.

In Ableton Live it is just a few clicks to bpm sync audio and it is very easy to understand. In Bitwig many of these functions aren't visible, they are hidden or at least it isn't logic how to use them. The workflow regarding audio editing is way worse than any other DAW I've used so far.

Apologies if it has been asked, but do you all think that there will be a Euclidean rhythm generator in Bitwig 3's modular options? That wold be really cool.

I also second the adio editing functionality. It could be stronger. It is so close.

I prefer editing MIDI in Bitwig to Ableton though. Really good editor, at least to me.

I'm really looking forward to them getting The Grid out, not so much so that I can use it but so they can back to other basic things like that are sorely missing like clip legato, step input record, finish the touch screen stuff and make pens work right, and hopefully parameter snapshots!

hayash wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:52 pm Bitiwg should focus on stability (GUI bugs/freezes/slow) and also on the time-stretching/audio edit workflow.

In Ableton Live it is just a few clicks to bpm sync audio and it is very easy to understand. In Bitwig many of these functions aren't visible, they are hidden or at least it isn't logic how to use them. The workflow regarding audio editing is way worse than any other DAW I've used so far.
You can't leave such a comment like that... Please be more specific:
- what GUI bugs? I've never encountered any?
- how is syncing audio to bpm more cumbersome than in Live? click the sample, set stretching mode, grab the border and drag it to match to grid - it's the same in Live, it just doesn't have inspector panel but you still need to select warp mode in clip properties,
- regarding audio editing I'm missing options to: stretch clips right there on the timeline (but Live also added that only in v10 last year), adjust onset detection sensitivity and quantize onsets to grid - but those definitely are not something I'd call "way worse than any DAW"
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:34 am I'm really looking forward to them getting The Grid out, not so much so that I can use it but so they can back to other basic things like that are sorely missing like clip legato, step input record, finish the touch screen stuff and make pens work right, and hopefully parameter snapshots!
:clap: :hug:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Bitwig”