BITWIG STUDIO 3

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I believe there are mouse drivers that allow configuration of just about all button and wheel behavior.

Butwug wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:19 pm
Are you talking about people wanting it removed from DAWs or plugins? Not sure how scrolling would affect parameters in a plugin....
Not from plugins but the DAW...
If Bitwig would support parameter changes by mouse wheel for their plugins (devices) this would perhaps affect the track controls too (at least that´s how it works in other DAWs), meaning that pan and volume controls on the track are reacting to the mousewheel too...
And there is where the problem starts... if you then place your mouse pointer a bit wrong, it´s very easy to suddenly change a parameter although you just wanted to scroll down or up in the project...

This happened to me a lot in Reaper, where everything reacts to the mouse wheel...

I don´t know the reasons why they didn´t implement it...it´s just a guess from me...

Trancit wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:30 pm
Are you talking about people wanting it removed from DAWs or plugins? Not sure how scrolling would affect parameters in a plugin....
If Bitwig would support parameter changes by mouse wheel for their plugins (devices) this would perhaps affect the track controls too (at least that´s how it works in other DAWs), meaning that pan and volume controls on the track are reacting to the mousewheel too...
And there is where the problem starts... if you then place your mouse pointer a bit wrong, it´s very easy to suddenly change a parameter although you just wanted to scroll down or up in the project...

This happened to me a lot in Reaper, where everything reacts to the mouse wheel...

I don´t know the reasons why they didn´t implement it...it´s just a guess from me...
Oh alright. As stated previously, that would be super annoying. Scrolling through DAW and boom, you adjusted volume or clip start/length/any parameter, without knowing. Im totally cool with the way it works right now, except for the bottom half, where the chain is. Since that's where the native instruments reside, and they aren't a pop up and drag around type of plugin. If they made it an option to allow scroll wheel to work only on the chain area, where the native instruments reside, that would be sweet. No one scrolls there as there nothing to scroll, as far as up/down, on the chain. But at this point I feel like I just repeated myself five times.
jonljacobi wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:13 pm I believe there are mouse drivers that allow configuration of just about all button and wheel behavior.
Not sure having a global setting on my mouse would be the best idea, as stated above by me and others. If scrolling through the daw, I don't want it to work on everything. I just want the synths, and fx would hurt either, to take input from scroll wheel, as just every 3rd party plugin I own does.

Butwug wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:07 pm ...If they made it an option to allow scroll wheel to work only on the chain area, where the native instruments reside, that would be sweet.
Don´t know if this is possible at least on windows as the bottom part is part of the main window and either you allow the mouse wheel for changing parameters you hover over or not...
I may be wrong though...
No one scrolls there as there nothing to scroll, as far as up/down, on the chain.
If you got more devices in the chain than can be visible you can scroll there too...
Atm, if you haven´t placed the mouse right, nothing happens... but if you got mouse wheel support for parameters this would change too and give the risk to accidentally change values...

I don´t want to spoil it for you, but there are some clear safety advantages for not having mouse wheel support on this topic...

Trancit wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:41 pm
Butwug wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:07 pm ...If they made it an option to allow scroll wheel to work only on the chain area, where the native instruments reside, that would be sweet.
Don´t know if this is possible at least on windows as the bottom part is part of the main window and either you allow the mouse wheel for changing parameters you hover over or not...
I may be wrong though...
No one scrolls there as there nothing to scroll, as far as up/down, on the chain.
If you got more devices in the chain than can be visible you can scroll there too...
Atm, if you haven´t placed the mouse right, nothing happens... but if you got mouse wheel support for parameters this would change too and give the risk to accidentally change values...

I don´t want to spoil it for you, but there are some clear safety advantages for not having mouse wheel support on this topic...
From a development side it's exactly the same as the scroll wheel working on the browser that contains plugins/samples/midi, but not allowing it to work on the other things. It's not "allow you or not." If they wanted to they could have it done it, as they already gave the mouse wheel the ability to work on part of the screen. I mean, take a look at the little bar at the bottom, where you scroll through the chain. Put your mouse on it and scroll. They already know how to code for the mouse wheel to work in someplace, and not in others. Making it work on their synths, whatever area they want, but not other is nothing to them.

And I don't see the "clear safety advantages." I would go as far as saying, there is little no risk of moving the mouse wheel by accident if you are holding the mouse unless you are using a touch sensitive vs wheel (or screen, on/off would be an option). Can't remember the last time an accidental scroll happened. If it was a big safety risk due to accidental scrolling, not sure why all the biggest vst developers out there offer scrolling with their plugins, as you might "accidentally" move the patch.....it doesn't happen.

And if people don't want the option, cool. Don't use it.

To sum it up
-it's possible to have scroll work only on certain parts of the program screen, and not work in others.
-offer what other big name synth developers offer (wheel support) for their synths/fx
-if people don't want it, don't use it. But a quick google search shows many complaints about this as well.
-all about options. Not saying make it mandatory. :tu:

Trancit wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:30 pm

This is true. Of course, that doesn't apply to Reaper, where you can alter the behaviour over tracks separately from everywhere else.
I do like mouse control over plugins though - specially with an MX master.

I want intuitive groove. I still find this to be one of Bitwigs biggest weaknesses.

Quack Quack wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:51 am I want intuitive groove. I still find this to be one of Bitwigs biggest weaknesses.
I can't +1 This Enough!!!!
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

Over 9 and a half weeks later ...
https://youtu.be/Un-0wdQA6dU

Yeah, I feel like it should've been out by now. At this rate, my plan is going to run out before its out and out of beta.

To be fair 2.5 only launched last month...and there have been 4 RC's for 2.5.1 since then with about 20 fixes! All these fixes end up min the 3 beta I guess, so a more stable initial beta 3 is good for everyone....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Oh I definitely agree. I just want 3.0 before my plan expires lol.

IMHO by Christmas should be ready for commercial release. (4 months? to get a final 2.5 yet)
This is bigger than anything so far.
The Beta will be B....e....t....a.
Good time ahead though.
Pigments - Diva - Tal U-No-LX - Tal Sampler

SLiC wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:06 pm To be fair 2.5 only launched last month...
Nobody here is unfair... :lol: They where the ones who made the statement that it would come a few weeks after Namm. :dog: Will they ever learn?
But that being said, I welcome the strategy to make 2.5 more stable...
Everyone knows more than I do...

operator wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:47 pmNobody here is unfair... :lol: They where the ones who made the statement that it would come a few weeks after Namm. :dog: Will they ever learn?
Eventually... :lol:

Return to “Bitwig”