Bitwig and eye strain

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

--
Last edited by zengel on Fri May 22, 2020 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

jarnold wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:36 am Yeah agree with all the above comments. I've noticed that better quality (such as high end graphics displays) give me less eye strain, unsure if its the output (less blue light?) or just less distortion/blur?
Hello ! I had a similar problem when i gave courses . As each had a computer and i spent a lot of time on their screen my eyes became very sensitive and i almost could not watch a screen .I stopped this work and this problem solved by himself with time and understanding of what was specifically involved in my problem .
First i think monitor quality was one of the reason i became so sensitive . I saw that depending of the monitor i could spend more time on one and less on the other . I tried some monitors and finally find one more confortable for me .
second , i thought to buy a filters to but first i wanted to try filtering software. the filter helped me a lot . there are software that let you get rid of blue on monitors. On windows 10 it became native , you can choose the time range when it's active and the strength of the filter.
Globally i believe that my problem was strongly depending on the refresh rate of the screen, the screen quality (TFT, LED, Oled, etc ) and the blue of the screen .

middle_color wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:05 am
warcat wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:38 am ...(Bitwig definitely needs a dark theme...

Funny thing: for me Bitwig is too dark, and i sent them request for light theme. I sometimes choose to work in different DAW that i can has lighter theme or adjustment.

I would like to see something like this: (someone else's POC)

But would bee also nice to have theme's adjustment, so user can have more settings than just contrast. Right now you can adjust contrast in Settings.
That mockup looks absolutely gorgeous!

^ It would definitely kill some vampires.
-JH

herewardcarrington wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:21 am
warcat wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:38 am ...(Bitwig definitely needs a dark theme...

Funny thing: for me Bitwig is too dark, and i sent them request for light theme. I sometimes choose to work in different DAW that i can has lighter theme or adjustment.

But would bee also nice to have theme's adjustment, so user can have more settings than just contrast. Right now you can adjust contrast in Settings.
Yes, agreed, looks very great. I also prefer such a light theme instead.

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:45 pm
herewardcarrington wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:21 am

Yes, agreed, looks very great. I also prefer such a light theme instead.
Kinda cool looking... but don't know if I could work that way... my eyes hardly 'see' any details or differentiation

herewardcarrington wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:21 am That mockup looks absolutely gorgeous!
The only thing that looks good there are the clips in arranger, because - for reason I can't really explain - I don't like how they're drawn currently, especially in Large Height mode. I guess it's the thick borders around them, that 'slant' in top-left and not enough transluency or contrast between content (MIDI or sound wave) and background.

Obviously that's IMO. Not trying to bitch, complain or "display my aggressive ego" ;) :D
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

pdxindy wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:03 pm Kinda cool looking... but don't know if I could work that way... my eyes hardly 'see' any details or differentiation
Yes, it's strongly lacking an importance-based visual hierarchy. The color palette may be nice (I like it in terms of art, but not a program I look at for long periods of time), but other than that it fails to guide the eyes properly.
Creator of Bitwiggers, the place to share Bitwig Presets.
Advocate for Bitwish, the place to vote on Feature Requests and discuss Bitwig.

thank you for all replies. it would be a bit difficult to write the answers for each one right now. however, shortly, most of the propositions help to reduce eye strain to some degree but of course I already tried (and keep using them) before.
still, the problem persist.
ok, now I am trying to figure out how to check the fps inside Bitwig (and other DAWs). Any ideas on how to make it in Windows 10? I tried the integrated Xbox Bar FPS counter, but it seems it only works for a games, not for any apps.

Reminds me of early versions of Tracktion
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

why not experimenting with the screens settings for color temps or else. like shifting towards another color, or taking the hue up and down. or just say f**k off colors, s/w is the way to work with bitwig. ^^

additionally change the system fonts.

weird phenomena like chromostereopsis?

i consider bitwig as not very eye soring, and i have really f**ked up eyes changing their capability to focus or being stressed from day to day.

FPS is ideally (and maximum) at 60 for Bitwig, but it's certainly affected by how intense the Project is so it could be lower than that. However, it's not as important as you think, because it's at-least double-buffered and the _only_ way you'd be able to tell is by looking at something that's moving. The vast majority of the UI doesn't move or change, so this is likely not the issue. You can see it clearly if you look at an Oscilloscope; you literally cannot see it for the large majority of the UI and unless under stress (i.e. playback). So, I still doubt that's your issue.
Creator of Bitwiggers, the place to share Bitwig Presets.
Advocate for Bitwish, the place to vote on Feature Requests and discuss Bitwig.

I'm in agreement with the hidden consensus here. Bitwig should have Themes. I use really dark themes in DP10, Live, and Reaper, love them. I'm really liking Bitwig as well as the new Logic 10.5 update, but the interfaces are just fugly to me. Logic is as bland as it gets and Bitwig looks like a kids video game to me. Themes would allow super light and super dark GUIs, everyone's happy!

+1 for more customisation of the 'theme'. I'd like a super dark theme..
MacPro 6,1 // Live 11 // Bitwig 4 // Reason 12 // Logic X // Soundtoys // U-he // FabFilter // Arturia // Vintage Hardware

warcat wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:36 pm Any ideas on how to make it in Windows 10? I tried the integrated Xbox Bar FPS counter, but it seems it only works for a games, not for any apps.
you can change refresh rate in parameters of the monitor in windows 10 (google it) but it depends totally on the refresh rate of your screen capability. It think that the more the frequency is, the better it is .
sth wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:49 pm FPS is ideally (and maximum) at 60 for Bitwig, it's not as important as you think, because it's at-least double-buffered and the _only_ way you'd be able to tell is by looking at something that's moving.... so this is likely not the issue. You can see it clearly if you look at an Oscilloscope; you literally cannot see it for the large majority of the UI and unless under stress (i.e. playback). So, I still doubt that's your issue.
The FPS of a soft is actually not the problem , it's the constant refresh rate of the screen . It make a difference in viewing confort . You can't see it , but your eyes are sensitive to it and it can be a problem when your eyes become sensitive . When i had this problem i saw the difference between low quality or old screens and new or good quality one . On bad ones i literally couldn't stand a minutes. In the worst moment my eyes began to weep and it hurt . perhaps try with high refresh rate monitors . And of course the colors ! i would also try to tweak colors and even remove all the bleu of your screen (you can tweak color temperature directly on most monitor parameters) .

Return to “Bitwig”