More color palette

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ReleaseCandidate wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:31 am That's what HSV is for (and why RGB to choose colors sucks).
That reminds me of many years ago when I wrote a graphics library in Delphi 7, primarily to support a graph-writing package. It soon became apparent that in order to come up with automatically selected colors, RGB just wasn't suitable. So I had to investigate sorting colors by HSV (Hue, Saturation, Value) and HLS (Hue, Lightness, Saturation). Looking at the code, I even considered something called Gretag colors, but I don't remember what they were or how they helped, except to say that the primary motive was to come up with a set of automatically generated colors that were well distributed in terms of distinct hue.
Bitwig 5.1.6 + Akai MIDIMix + Launchpad X + MuLab 9.3.18
Roli Lumi Keyboard x 2 + Universal Audio Apollo Twin X
Mac Mini M1 16GB/4TB + macOS 14.4 Sonoma

carlca wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:06 am
ReleaseCandidate wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:31 am That's what HSV is for (and why RGB to choose colors sucks).
That reminds me of many years ago when I wrote a graphics library in Delphi 7, primarily to support a graph-writing package. It soon became apparent that in order to come up with automatically selected colors, RGB just wasn't suitable. So I had to investigate sorting colors by HSV (Hue, Saturation, Value) and HLS (Hue, Lightness, Saturation). Looking at the code, I even considered something called Gretag colors, but I don't remember what they were or how they helped, except to say that the primary motive was to come up with a set of automatically generated colors that were well distributed in terms of distinct hue.
The hue variation feature is crucial idea specially when working from different
devices at different light rooms. this helps the adjustment of the eye comfort.
This is also effective among users with different prospective toward colors,
considering as essential feature for work flow as well.

BWS palette has 27 colors it needs to have at least (6 x 18) color table, which is the double.
while currently is (3 x 9).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

+1 ! ! !

Absolutely not! Won't happen, period.

PS I wouldn't mind if they added a second custom RGB palette, but I tried this with Reaper once, it is not an improvement IMHO.

While we're on the subject...

Is it just me or is the colour of clips in Arranger slightly less saturated than in Clip Launcher or on track's header? I'm not talking about when they're grayed out when CL is playing (yellow track), just a regular situation, best visible on the top and bottom tracks here:

Is it intentional? And why, if so?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:05 am While we're on the subject...

Is it just me or is the colour of clips in Arranger slightly less saturated than in Clip Launcher or on track's header? I'm not talking about when they're grayed out when CL is playing (yellow track), just a regular situation, best visible on the top and bottom tracks here:

Hot mess indeed. I prefer the orange/grey of Bitwig 1.3.16 as it comes to the instr/fx section. For I'm not a toddler running around in a candy story anymore.

excuse me please wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:19 amHot mess indeed...
I never said or meant it that way :roll:

Although I'm not a fan of coloured inserts, just like I wasn't a fan of rainbow displays & filter knobs in early 3.2 beta...
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

excuse me please wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:19 amFor I'm not a toddler running around in a candy story anymore.
No offense, but that's a sentence you usually hear from 4 or 5 year olds... or teenagers trying really hard to appear grown-up. ;)

antic604 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:33 am
excuse me please wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:19 amHot mess indeed...
I never said or meant it that way :roll:

Although I'm not a fan of coloured inserts, just like I wasn't a fan of rainbow displays & filter knobs in early 3.2 beta...
I mean it that way. I get easily distracted by looking at such a cluttered mess, which it is, I just gave my opinion; people are different. So they will behave differently FYI

Dionysos wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:40 am
excuse me please wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:19 amFor I'm not a toddler running around in a candy story anymore.
No offense, but that's a sentence you usually hear from 4 or 5 year olds... or teenagers trying really hard to appear grown-up. ;)
Great, but what does it have to do with BWS' s color palette?

excuse me please wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:59 am PS I wouldn't mind if they added a second custom RGB palette, but I tried this with Reaper once, it is not an improvement IMHO.
If they let you customize the palette, you can at least make colors more saturated to your taste. That's an improvement. It's not just exact thing you wished for

antic604 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:05 am While we're on the subject...

Have you checked the actual color value differences?
Maybe it's just an optical illusion because of bright and dark background (?)

Maybe instead of totally free palette per clip a sort of manual or automated clip-tagging/grouping (maybe even based on track/clip name etc.) would be nice.
Or maybe some options for automatic clip coloring (like in the note editor where notes can be colored based on different properties like channel/velocity/scale)

u-u-u wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:01 pm Have you checked the actual color value differences?
Maybe it's just an optical illusion because of bright and dark background (?)
No, using a digital color meter, the Launcher clips and Arrange clips have different color values. It is not an optical illusion.

Return to “Bitwig”