What drives you crazy in Bitwig?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

All these little annoyances seem to help us socialize... :D

Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:53 pm All these little annoyances seem to help us socialize... :D
:hug:
Always Read the Manual!

Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:53 pm All these little annoyances seem to help us socialize... :D
I feel warm & fuzzy inside knowing someone else is pissed off at the same thing I am :oops: :hihi:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:20 am
PieBerger wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:55 am I'm still finding my feet, as it were, but one thing that is starting to get annoying, is disabling the Note Audition for every single track. I know where the icon is to disable it and it's smart enough to save the off state, but what I would really like is a global option in the Preferences, to set the default state to off, for all current tracks in the project and or any new ones added.
Yes + a lot...
Or having the option to define a default for each type of a new track... I have to do many clicks to get my default.
Auto monitor to off
Midi channel to same
Pb - expression to off
And then when adding a MPE capable synth MPE to on...
If you save a default preset for a synth, it saves the MPE On state. (not the other stuff)

My default project template has a couple default tracks which I use to duplicate from so they are set up how I want.

One thing though, on Mac at least, if you duplicate a track where Channel is set All --> Same, the duplicate track reverts to All --> 1

pdxindy wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:44 pm One thing though, on Mac at least, if you duplicate a track where Channel is set All --> Same, the duplicate track reverts to All --> 1
Which brings us back to what drives us crazy...; - )

Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:51 pm
pdxindy wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:44 pm One thing though, on Mac at least, if you duplicate a track where Channel is set All --> Same, the duplicate track reverts to All --> 1
It doesn't drive me crazy... I accept the work that is necessary to accomplish the task at hand. Every DAW is so superior to what was available decades ago that I feel grateful. It has never been easier to fulfill ones creative vision.

So true... I don’t need a DAW to become crazy...; - )

pdxindy wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:58 pm
It doesn't drive me crazy... I accept the work that is necessary to accomplish the task at hand. Every DAW is so superior to what was available decades ago that I feel grateful. It has never been easier to fulfill ones creative vision.
True, but it also has never been easier to get distracted ;)

excuse me please wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:59 am
pdxindy wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:58 pm
True, but it also has never been easier to get distracted ;)
Indeed

There is a preset list in the instument device but you have to change them by mouse. It's annoying. Is it possible to chance them with shortcut somehow? Would be easier to use the arrows up and down.

Bitwig agreed it is a bug...

foosnark wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:17 am sometimes moving a MIDI CC fader causes a noisy pop/glitch with noticeable CPU hit, and if recording, it records the glitch too. No idea what that's about. Probably not an issue with my drivers because sometimes I can make it stop by fiddling with a bunch of settings, disabling MIDI on some channels, etc.
I think I figured this out. My Tesseract Sweet Sixteen was sometimes spewing out CC messages for faders 1-4 when I didn't move them. Sometimes a slow trickle of drifting values, and sometimes a huge burst of messages. Flipping the switch up and back down seems to have stopped that -- and since then I also haven't had problems with glitching.

So I guess either my driver or Bitwig freaks out when it gets a huge backlog of CC messages, instead of throwing excess messages away.

WigBit 3.1.3
Ok, I've narrowed my main gripes down to:

1. Audio Glitches
Major issue. Those audio glitches all the time, when playback hits a block on an instrument that has not been played yet, it can be a minor audio hick or a complete stutter affecting full timing on play back. Only affects first playback.

2. Scrollbar Insanity
As soon as zoom gets involved with that scrollbar it's absolutely mental. It's just bonkers, not sure if up is down, left is right, wtf is actually going on. It's like a flight sim / driving sim with the controls reversed or something. At least give us a settings area where we can disable zoom on scroll bars (per each module - main sequencer or piano roll). See FLStudio if you want see how it's done right, thicker bar, no rounded edges, larger grab hooks on left of right of bar to scroll to zoom more in on left or right (shame they don't do that for vertical axis also).

Oddly it's not so bad on piano roll but on the main timeline it's a world of crazy.

Maybe this is just me...

3. Piano roll
3.1. For the love of god, highlight the whole row and the key your mouse is actually over. When hovering and when dragging.
3.2. After dragging a selection, what is the point of that white selection area which you can resize the sides of, which does nothing? That would be a good place to put the note resize/scale of selected notes from left or right, otherwise remove it and just keep the notes that were selected, selected.
3.3. Top bar size adjust - put a visual grab point at the end of the bar.
3.4. Multi note selection resize from left or right, I've been using flstudio to do this then export midi and import into bitwig and then spend time tidying it up there.

4. Track titles
Ever used Adobe Audition, Photoshop, Illustrator, AfterEffects, Affinity Photo/Designer ++++. When your working with layers you can double click on the layer label text and edit there directly. A small gripe but would be a lovely change.

5. Right - Instrument Browser Panel
Give option to disable recursive listing of all items in sub folders, so you can browse the contents of a single folder at a time not everything in that folder and all sub folders in 1 go (will save you a lot on disk io and probably some cpu cycles too). I've 112GB of data in my samples folder, in many sub folders of sub folders, I'm surprised the software handles it as well as it does. I've just got an unusable list of every sample in that folder. It only becomes usable once I drill down a few folders. Many files have the same name as the folder name becomes how you distinguish between what that sample is, eg: Drums>Sequences>[Genre]>seq_01a.wav, Drums>Sequences>[Genre]>seq_01b.wav, Drums>Sequences>[Genre]>seq_02.wav, Vocals>[classification]>[classification]>vocal_01.wav etc etc

6. Popup Instrument selection/addition window
6.1. Really wish this would remember its state from the last time I had it open and not fully reset each time. EG. If I had favourites selected when it was previously open, keep it selected when it's open again, remember if I was in audio fx, instrument or note fx. If new instrument then be intelligent and auto select instrument but keep favourites selected, if intelligent selection is too complicated then just remember if favourites was selected or not previously.
6.2. Same as point no 5 above for the right instrument browser, allow for disabling of recursive listing of all items in all sub folders. I've just got an unusable list of every sample in a folder of 112GB of samples which only becomes usable once I drill down a few folders. Many files have the same name as the folder name becomes how you distinguish between what that sample is, eg: Drums>Sequences>[Genre]>seq_01a.wav, Drums>Sequences>[Genre]>seq_01b.wav, Drums>Sequences>[Genre]>seq_02.wav, Vocals>[classification]>[classification]>vocal_01.wav etc etc

Would re-sub in an instant if these changes were implemented.
Last edited by MegaPixel on Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Web Developer by day, DAW tinkerer by night...

MegaPixel wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:56 am Ok, I've narrowed my main gripes down to...
1. Assuming your system doesn't have some specific performance issues (e.g. your CPU is throttled due to not running at performance mode), then what you describe is a good thing, because it means Bitwig doesn't tax the CPU with devices that are currenty not running. Make a full & proper diagnostic of your computer & audio interface settings and if all's fine there, just start bouncing stuff out or restrain yourself with using less plugins. It's not unusual our projects start to "leg" at certain point.

2. Use mouse wheel (+Ctrl to zoom in/out horizontally, +Alt to scroll left/righ , Ctrl+Alt to zoom vertically in/out in piano roll) or trackpad if you're on a laptop (2-finger swipes). Both work great. I don't understand why you'd use the scroll bars, unless you're coming from Live where I see this is the norm. Also I think in 3.2 or 3.3 there was something added to help those who insist on using scroll bar...

3. 3.2 - that's the time selection corresponding to selected notes, but can be selected separately and you use it to ...copy/duplicate stuff, like in arranger. Also since 3.3 you can grab its left or right border, hold Alt and stretch the MIDI

https://youtu.be/y7ZPwFEjSns

4. You CAN double click on track's name and edit it. Or Ctrl+R when track header is selected. Or Alt+click on text label.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

1. Assuming your system doesn't have some specific performance issues (e.g. your CPU is throttled due to not running at performance mode), then it's a good thing, because it means Bitwig doesn't tax the CPU with devices that are currenty not running. Make a full & proper diagnostic of your computer & audii interface settings and if all's fine there, just start bouncing stuff out or restrain yourself with using plugins.
Win10 Pro latest, Scarlet 6i6 Gen 2, i9900k clocked @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200 XMP profile 2 Ram, RTX 3080, NVME SSD Boot (1TB), EVO SSD (1Tb) & WD Black 2TB for music creation software (vsts, native instruments komplete 12, and install downloads) & WD Black 2TB for storage (includes my 100GB+ samples folder). Music tracks are stored on boot drive and synced to GDrive though. CPU doesn't even break a sweat when running bitwig.
2. Use mouse wheel (+Ctrl to zoom horizontally, +Alt to scroll horizontally, +Ctrl+Alt to zoom vertically in piano roll) or trackpad if you're on a laptop (2-finger swipes). Both work great. I don't understand why you'd use the scroll bars, unless you're coming from Live where I see this is the norm. Also I think in 3.2 or 3.3 there was something added to help those who insist on using scroll bar...
Desktop pc, full keyboard with numpad, I use the keys to zoom (I like that), I just wish I could disable that zoom on scroll bar drag on main timeline window.
3. 3.2 - that's the time selection corresponding to selected notes, but can be selected separately and you use it to ...copy/duplicate stuff, like in arranger. Also since 3.3 you can grab its left or right border, hold Alt and stretch the MIDI
Yep, does jack in my version... Hmmm 3.3 could be time for a re-sub then.
4. You CAN double click on track's name and edit it. Or Ctrl+R when track header is selected. Or Alt+click on text label.
Nope not in 3.1.3, just tried it. Ctrl+R works though, nice 1, didn't know that shortcut :)

Thanks for the tips :)
Web Developer by day, DAW tinkerer by night...

Return to “Bitwig”